Menu

Help with... "rabbit trails" maybe?

~Amanda~

My son has recently expressed an (almost obsessive) interest in sharks. He's read everything he can get his hands on; looked up as much as he could online; watched as much as he could on netflix, and is still asking a million questions! I can see this really taking off in a good thing.... but I'm not sure how to foster the interest. any ideas?

You could branch into the different species of shark. Put them in groups by type. (Nurse, basking, and whale sharks are vegetarian.) Focus on different traits and then into groups.

Look at predators, do they have them? (ie..dolphins, orcas, humans) Food sources, expanding into the ocean.

You can tie to literature with the myths about sharks vs. reality.

If you are not grossed out, you can get a small shark to dissect from home science tools.

My son was focused for a year on the Titanic, now it is greek mythology. I just go with it. Have fun!

You could branch into the different species of shark. Put them in groups by type. (Nurse, basking, and whale sharks are vegetarian.) Focus on different traits and then into groups.

Look at predators, do they have them? (ie..dolphins, orcas, humans) Food sources, expanding into the ocean.

You can tie to literature with the myths about sharks vs. reality.

If you are not grossed out, you can get a small shark to dissect from home science tools.

My son was focused for a year on the Titanic, now it is greek mythology. I just go with it. Have fun!

Definitely not grossed out. that was the coolest thing about biology 9th grade for me; I was going to get extra dissection kits for this year biology for the kids, cause I think its cool

Definitely not grossed out. that was the coolest thing about biology 9th grade for me; I was going to get extra dissection kits for this year biology for the kids, cause I think its cool

cool, we are a dissecting family here too.

It is a dogfish shark(warning to others, this does have a photo of a dissection specimen)

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/dogfish-shark-18-22-double/p/PM-DOGFISH/