Menu

McCall Crabbs Reading Comprehension

plain jane

Just wonder if you use these and what you do/don't like about them. I was going to order them from RR but noticed that they sell the newer versions. I prefer to buy the original versions and have found a couple of vendors that carry them but the price is much higher. I'm an all-or-nothing kinda gal so it's the original version or nothing.

Are the McCall Crabbs books a good addition to my homeschool??

It depends what your goals are for this year. Do you have specific things you are working on or do you generally want a better reader?

I use readers and Teachers' Manuals because I want a structured process with good results. Then I supplement with lots and lots of library books.

I guess this is for your 6 year old? Where is this child in reading? I would focus on Phonics and sight words for your six year old, unless she/he has these down.

I would call the company and ask them what their program(s) is known for. If you have a good reader and you want to increase proficiency then it may be a good choice.

The McCall-Crabbs readers are great for practicing speed reading and comprehension at the same time. Your child is supposed to read the passage and then answer the questions in three minutes.

By using them you can help build up your child's reading speed without sacrificing comprehension in the process.

I am thinking about the McCall-Crab original books too. What I have heard is that the newer version is dumbed down. www.swrtraining.com has the original books, as well as a starter set for K/1st grade.

I can't speak from experience as my oldest has not even begun 1st grade. I am interested to hear if anyone has used these too:bigear:

I used them this last year with my oldest and it was great to be able to track his reading progress in a quantitative way. I used the version that SWR sells - but I believe RR carries it as well.

We will probably continue to use it this year. It does not replace other reading assignments, just helps track comprehension - and doesn't hurt as a bit of "test prep" as well.

May I recommend using McCall-Harby Test Lessons in Primary Reading

http://shop.morningstarlearning.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=134

I used this little booklet with great success for my dd last year who was 6 at the time. She LOVED reading them and answering the comprehension questions. I think the questions are quite good and had me thinking a few times too.

I do plan on using McCall-Crabbs this year, but haven't started yet.