Menu

Mysterious sores on leg? My dh is now in pain...

**Update post 34 and post 45**He has a few sores on his leg that he doesn't remember getting. They're round with thick scabes on them and redness surrounds them.

Now, this afternoon (he works night shift), he woke up barely able to walk, in lots of pain and his calf really hard. I told him to GO TO THE DOCTOR. He's there now, but I am at home.

Any ideas as to what this may be? I am worried. He has a high pain tolerance and he was in a lot of it (I talked to him on the phone b/c he's 2.5 hours away).

Thanks for any thoughts. Prayers are appreciated as well.

Edited by mama2cntrykids

He needs to go to the ER now. It sounds like some type of infection.

ETA: Oops, I didn't read clearly enough, I see that he is at the doctor. I would be really leary if they send him home, and if so, please be super vigilant. I would not hesitate to go to the ER, if the doctor sends him home.

The unfortunate part is, he stays 2.5 hrs away during the week renting a room close to his work. I'm not able to be with him, so if they send him "home", he'll probably go to work tonight. I *hate* not being there. I'm going to text him and see if he's been seen.

The unfortunate part is, he stays 2.5 hrs away during the week renting a room close to his work. I'm not able to be with him, so if they send him "home", he'll probably go to work tonight. I *hate* not being there. I'm going to text him and see if he's been seen.

The symptoms sound like an acute infection to me (I'm an RN). If this is the case, I would think he needs IV antibiotics. MRSA comes to mind.

The only other thing that crosses my mind is a reaction to spider bites.

Either way, with the sudden onset and difficulty walking, IMO, he needs emergency care. I'm glad he is at the doctor at least! I hope it turns out to be nothing. Keep us posted.

Edited by magnificent_baby

They are also doing a urine and a stool test. Dh said the doctor told him that he has many concerns. Not good. If you're a praying person, we would appreciate it.

That's frightening :( I'm sorry :grouphug: Is there any way you can get to him while he's in the hospital? It must be so hard to be away from him right now. I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

Thanks everyone. I just spoke to dh on the phone. His antibiotic IV is almost gone. No doctor has came around yet, probably in the morning. The nurse said something about keeping dh there for 24 hr. observation. I hope they're not just dumping antibiotics into him and sending him on his merry way. That's NOT finding out what's causing the problems. Hopefully the doctor will have a course of action (hopefully...).

I wish we could get up there. Depending on what the doctor finds/says tomorrow, we may (if they keep him longer). I hate the waiting game...

If he was admitted, expect him to be there for three days until cultures come back.

Cultures can "come back" in 8 hours. You may not have anything but a gram stain ID from the culture, and not sensitivity. You can also get a gram stain from the smear. Likely culprits from a known source in an immunocompetent adult who is not showing signs of sepsis is not likely to stay for 3 days. Many oral antibiotics these days have good bioavailability, and the IV dose is to 1) "load" the patient, and 2) put in a big smack down while you see which direction the patient is going. It can also be used as "the ticket" for an inpatient stay when the ER doc has "the feeling" the person needs to stay, but fears the insurance co. may disagree.

Edited by kalanamak

We routinely keep patients until the sensitivities come back. But I work on a pediatric unit, so we are always a bit different from the rest of the hospital at large. I suppose if the gram stain turns up positive, sending an otherwise healthy adult home on something with good coverage would be the normal thing to do for them. We keep our kiddos usually 3 days, sometimes 10. I forget we're not "normal" on our unit! (It is my normal, though!)

W We keep our kiddos usually 3 days, sometimes 10. I forget we're not "normal" on our unit! (It is my normal, though!)

Yes, I keep forgetting I'm not "normal" anymore either .:lol:

Insulin pumps? I've never used one. My patients would sell one for a pack of cigarettes before the first 24 hours.

But, big strapping grown ups get booted out quickly. The hospital is full of big scary germs and "medical misadventures" (errors), as well as being pricey.

Yes, I keep forgetting I'm not "normal" anymore either .:lol:

Insulin pumps? I've never used one. My patients would sell one for a pack of cigarettes before the first 24 hours.

But, big strapping grown ups get booted out quickly. The hospital is full of big scary germs and "medical misadventures" (errors), as well as being pricey.

Where do you work?

I'm a pediatric RN and have been since graduating nursing school 5.5 years ago. While I have some rudimentary adult med-surg knowledge, it's pretty limited to routine surgical patients that get booted out within 24 hours.:lol:

the biggest state mental hospital west of the Mississippi.

That sucks. I can't stand crazies. If I'm in charge, they always get assigned to the other nurse because I'll let 'em leave. "Just sign right here and you can go, Mr. Psycho!" (Yes, I'm terrible. I'm not a good patient advocate for the crazy people and at least I'm aware that I'm not a good choice to be their nurse.)

To the OP:

Best wishes and healing mercies for your husband.

We routinely keep patients until the sensitivities come back. But I work on a pediatric unit, so we are always a bit different from the rest of the hospital at large. I suppose if the gram stain turns up positive, sending an otherwise healthy adult home on something with good coverage would be the normal thing to do for them. We keep our kiddos usually 3 days, sometimes 10. I forget we're not "normal" on our unit! (It is my normal, though!)

I think's not so much what you do as why you do it which matters.

*I'm guessing that you wait 72 hours on your sepsis rule outs before discharging. Your lab probably doesn't finalize your blood or CSF cultures for five days but most true pathogens will have grown by that point and most pediatricians should be comfortable discharging.

*If the child has positive blood culture, urine culture, or CSF culture then your facility pediatricians probably follow the standard of care and treat appropriately. That will usually require 10-14 days of IV antibiotics so that is perfectly appropriate and "normal".

That sucks. I can't stand crazies. If I'm in charge, they always get assigned to the other nurse because I'll let 'em leave. "Just sign right here and you can go, Mr. Psycho!" (Yes, I'm terrible. I'm not a good patient advocate for the crazy people and at least I'm aware that I'm not a good choice to be their nurse.)

On of the greatest things about nursing is there are SO many things you can do: breastfeeding education, diabetic care, hospice, peds, onc, scrub nurse.

I love psych. It is the ultimate challenge for me. But it is frustrating when you "out in the community" without back up.

Recently a complete fit-throwing, manipulative, scheming borderline was admitted, and the pharmacist said, "Why aren't you dreading this?"

"Because I don't have to get her out of my waiting room by 5 p.m. I can out-wait her pique."

And now, back to our poor OP's hubby's leg. I hope he gets better quickly! Do let us know!

Dh has been discharged from the hospital. Dx is cellulitis. He will be home from work for over a week (doctor's orders). He'll also have to get to the local clinic daily for IV antibiotics and to get it cleaned out.

Thanks everyone for your prayers. If anything changes, I will update again.

Viva la antibiotics.

Does he have athlete's foot? Esp around the toes/nails? This seems to be the "nidus" of infection in some people.

Viva la antibiotics.

Does he have athlete's foot? Esp around the toes/nails? This seems to be the "nidus" of infection in some people.

That's fascinating, Kalanamak [can we shorten that to Kal? :D]

When oldest dd was 3, we took her to the dr b/c she was limping and complaining of foot pain. I could see an swelling or obvious injury, but she just wasn't the look at me I'm sick type, so off she went. We came back with a rx for heavy duty antibiotics for cellulitis. Never knew how she got it. I couldn't even tell. Sadly that was the first of many such encounters.

OP: I'm glad he has meds on board and hope he recovers well. :grouphug:

Dh has been discharged from the hospital. Dx is cellulitis. He will be home from work for over a week (doctor's orders). He'll also have to get to the local clinic daily for IV antibiotics and to get it cleaned out.

They sent my DH home with a PICC line so he could do the antibiotics from home. He ended up being allergic to the med and had to take something else, an oral med, but it cleared up.

And just an FYI, from now on he will need to be diligent about the wound spots. My DH had cellulitis 2 years ago and just last week he got another infection but he noticed it right away and got meds and it has cleared up for the most part. Last time he didn't go to the hospital until his entire shin was fire engine red, high fever, extremely sick. This time he caught it when it was just starting to turn red and spread.

I'm glad he was ok enough for discharge. I wonder why they didn't do a PICC line for those antibiotics. How long will he need to do them?

As a matter of fact, yes, he does. He's had it for a few (or couple, can't remember) weeks now.

Hmmmm. I would say he needs to start treating it and be diligent on foot care. Hmmmm, how did I know: taken care of too many cases to count.

For the young, healthy, non-diabetic, non-obese, I generally try local care first. But with recurrence in the y, h, n-d, n-obese, or anyone who is any of those, if I think tinea pedis is the source, I vote for orals.

I'm glad he was ok enough for discharge. I wonder why they didn't do a PICC line for those antibiotics. How long will he need to do them?

That's a good question. I think they're taking it day to day.

Hmmmm. I would say he needs to start treating it and be diligent on foot care. Hmmmm, how did I know: taken care of too many cases to count.

For the young, healthy, non-diabetic, non-obese, I generally try local care first. But with recurrence in the y, h, n-d, n-obese, or anyone who is any of those, if I think tinea pedis is the source, I vote for orals.

Thanks for the info!

Off to google tinea pedis.

My dh struggles with foot issues. And he is y, h, nd, and no.

Dh ended up being at the clinic/hospital for almost 12 hours yesterday. The outcome? He had surgery today. The good news is: no blood clots and the bone was unaffected. The bad news: he will be laid up from work for 2-3 MONTHS. It could be much worse and I thank God it's not. We will lean on our Lord and get through this. Hubby now has a 10-12 in. gash in his calf. I really feel for him. They're keeping him overnight tonight for observation/pain management.

Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts.

Dh ended up being at the clinic/hospital for almost 12 hours yesterday. The outcome? He had surgery today. The good news is: no blood clots and the bone was unaffected. The bad news: he will be laid up from work for 2-3 MONTHS. It could be much worse and I thank God it's not. We will lean on our Lord and get through this. Hubby now has a 10-12 in. gash in his calf. I really feel for him. They're keeping him overnight tonight for observation/pain management.

Oh no! :grouphug: Sending prayers for fast healing.

How is he doing now? It sounds like things went down hill fast from right before the above post. So, just wondering if his leg is looking better, no returning infection I hope?

Viva la antibiotics.

Why is that? Or is it any foot issue/injury in general? a friend of mine had a small cut on her heel one day, then nearly lost a leg. She was hospitalized for two weeks, if memory serves me right, then had nurses out to the house daily. I've never seen such a horrific sight and she said it all happened from her walking around barefoot! :eek:

OP, I am so sorry for your dh but also so glad he is on the mend.