Menu

Gifts for 4H leaders?

Dh and I are 4-H leaders. We have never received any. I will say that we also wouldn't want any, but a thank you note once in a while would be nice. 10 times per year we have 4-H'ers at our house for up to 4 hrs. each time working on science projects that we pay for out of pocket which is pretty dog-gone expensive when one considers we have 17 kids in our club. Three parents (parents of kids that are also on the rocket team) express thanks. We've never had a solitary word of "Thank you" from any of the other parents, not once. I guess they figure that they pay their $10.00 per year and we are "paid" for our job or something.

I vote, don't do gifts. But, I do vote for a nice thank you note and if you really want to do something, make a pie or some brownies...along those lines.

Faith

I'm in shock! I cannot imagine not having each of my kids handwrite a thank you (along with a handwritten thank you from dh and me.) And I have never *not* given a gift of between $25 and $50 depending on how many kids I had in the project and how often the teacher had to go out of the way for us. I was just wondering if it was enough because I understand that it's all volunteer and our kids have learned so many wonderful, valuable skills that I never could have taught them myself. People don't say thanks? What is this world coming to? (Please don't answer that specifically. It's already too depressing.)

We give them gifts at holiday time. For several years I've done a calendar on shutterfly with photos of the kids & their dogs at various dog club events. I take a lot of pictures of everybody throughout the year so I have quite a few to choose from. Dc choose the layout and design. One year I did something different and one of the leaders said, "Oh, no! Now I won't have a calendar to show off my 4H kids!" So we went back to calendars.:)

Around Easter this year we gave the head leader some unusual plants as a thank you for all the extra help she gave Dc to get them ready for agility at the state show. BUT, we happen to know that she loves plants and have a good idea what types she likes.

We used to do baked goods and thank you notes, but now 2 of the leaders have had surgery to reduce size of their stomachs (can't remember what that's called right now:confused:) and have to watch food intake carefully, so that's out.

I'm in shock! I cannot imagine not having each of my kids handwrite a thank you (along with a handwritten thank you from dh and me.) And I have never *not* given a gift of between $25 and $50 depending on how many kids I had in the project and how often the teacher had to go out of the way for us. I was just wondering if it was enough because I understand that it's all volunteer and our kids have learned so many wonderful, valuable skills that I never could have taught them myself. People don't say thanks? What is this world coming to? (Please don't answer that specifically. It's already too depressing.)

:iagree:And I think it is very important for my Dc to realize the time and effort their leaders are giving them and to be thankful and know how to communicate their thanks..