Menu

Discount or second hand frames for prescription glasses -- Anyone have experience?

My eyeballs feel funny. No kidding. I know it's not something creepy, because I just had my eyes checked. But, seeing as how I'm feeling a little strapped for cash right now, I figured I could hang a little longer without actually filling the prescription that resulted from that recent appointment. My eyes have deteriorated, and my old prescription is very nearly older than God (;)), but I've been getting by just fine until the past month or so. Now, it feels like I neeeeed glasses all the time, which I admit bums me out. Ah well.

So, is there any way I can avoid dropping hundreds on new glasses? If I could find some second hand frames (can't see how eBay would work if I can't try them on)....

My old glasses are so old that the frame style just might be coming back around soon. Sory of John Lennon-esque, but not quite that cool.

Is this another one of those expenses I'll just have to learn to live with? :glare:

I have had good luck at Walmart. I go a prescription pair of sunglasses recently for $80. The frame was on sale for $15 and when I looked for the same exact frame online it was $99 just for the frame. I also got my last pair of regular glasses from them.

Sears and Walmart often run specials for frames and lenses for a set price - the last glasses I got were from Sears for $99. We actually had to pay more to get ds new lenses because he wanted to keep his old frames, and every place I checked charged an additional $20 fee for keeping your old frames. We probably could have got a new complete set at Walmart for slightly less. . .

Okay, so you can buy frames at places like WalMart (sorry, no Costco here). Do *all* Walmarts offer frames -- I have never noticed this section at our Walmart, probably because I so despise going there at all that I rarely go at all. :D And, they fill the prescription, too? IN Walmart? Or do you have to take your cheap frames to the eye place for that?

I'm so out of touch.

Thanks for trying to help, folks.

Okay, so you can buy frames at places like WalMart (sorry, no Costco here). Do *all* Walmarts offer frames -- I have never noticed this section at our Walmart, probably because I so despise going there at all that I rarely go at all. :D And, they fill the prescription, too? IN Walmart? Or do you have to take your cheap frames to the eye place for that?

I'm so out of touch.

Thanks for trying to help, folks.

Well, your Walmart does have to have an Eye Center to have glasses . . .and not all of them do. We have a Super Walmart, so it has the Eye Center.