Menu

Help, please! Need idea for way to block sunlight - paned, arched, front door

We are moving into a new construction home in about ten days (hopefully!!). I drove by around 6:45 last night to see how things were progressing. The house faces west, and the sun was BLARING through the front of the house. The windows will have faux wood blinds, so I wil be able to block the sun with those. However, I am concerned about sunlight coming through our front door and fading/damaging the wood floors in the entry.

The door is arched at the top and has paned glass on about the top three quarters. I am trying to come up with a way to cover this in a way that isn't too obtrusive or unaesthetically pleasing in the late afternoon.

I had thought of a bottom to top roller, black out shade, but two things are throwing me off: the arch of the door, AND the fact that all of the shades I see like this are mounted within a "frame" (as in a framed, trimmed out window).

Could I use a bottom to top rectangular shade with, say, three grommets at the top and just have small hooks (the same color as the door) at the top of the arch? This would not look very lovely, but I would only have to use it for a small part of the day.

Any ideas at all would be GREATLY appreciated. Pics, too??

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if this is the same set up that you have, but our front door has a decorative half circle type shape at the top of it. It looks lovely but the sunlight apparently comes streaming through. The previous owners took some type of paper (it's light and off-white to match the door - it almost feels a bit waxy - not sure what type of paper it is) and cut out the same shape and taped it in there. They pointed it out when I looked at the house and said it was because of the way the sun angled into the house.

From both inside and out, it looks almost like the glass is frosted.

I'm not sure if this is the same set up that you have, but our front door has a decorative half circle type shape at the top of it. It looks lovely but the sunlight apparently comes streaming through. The previous owners took some type of paper (it's light and off-white to match the door - it almost feels a bit waxy - not sure what type of paper it is) and cut out the same shape and taped it in there. They pointed it out when I looked at the house and said it was because of the way the sun angled into the house.

From both inside and out, it looks almost like the glass is frosted.

Unfortunately, not. The door is one piece and is arched at the top. There is not a separate, arch-shaped transom at the top. Then there are several glass panes in the door.

But, thanks for trying! I probaby need to go to a window treatment/blind shop and talk to someone. I just know how clever everyone is here and thought I would ask here first.

can you use any of the window films that block heat gain and/or uv?

eta: I also have full west windows - I've found the outside drop shades do a better job of blocking heat gain than an inside shade. I have some that are a mesh so you can still see out.

Edited by gardenmom5

can you use any of the window films that block heat gain and/or uv?

Do you have a link or brand name? This sounds best. I love the wallpaper for windows idea, especially since it is not an adhesive (more like a cling from what I saw on-line), but I don't want a pattern. I just want to block out the uv.

I lived in the desert in a house full of arched windows...my house was an oven.

I covered some windows in a window cling product called artscape. It is easy to apply, comes off when you need it to and can be ordered online or at Home Depot. It looks like stained glass. I used it on my french doors and we are pretty happy with it.

http://www.artscape-inc.com/

In the bedrooms I took a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit the arch. Then I covered it in quilt batting and material that matched the bedspreads and curtains in each room. It basically looks like an upholstered arch. I can pop this up in the window and it holds due to its bulk. Then I pull it down when I want light.

I used window tint film to cover the arches at my parents' house a few years ago. It had a lavendar tone to it and gave the whole livingroom a light purple cast. I didn't like it, but my mom loved it.

I just put Gila film up in my bathroom windows on Sunday. The sun would just beat into the bathroom and heat up the whole second floor. It has been cooler yesterday and today, but I can already tell a big difference in temperature.

We used the some film in Texas for a west facing window. It was bad in San Antonio.

We got it at either Home Depot or Loew's. I believe their website is just Gila.com. They have anti glare film, privacy film and heat/uv film. It can make a world of difference heat wise so it should protect the floors. You can still see through them, they are just slightly tinted, like sunglasses.

If you decide to do it, I will recommend definately using 2 people, and don't be skimpy on the water spray. It keep the static cling down and the flim from sticking to itself.

What about an awning? You could pick one that would be permanent AND complement your house/exterior.

We are in a rental and get full-on western sun directly onto our black front door. The door was getting so hot that our kids and the neighbor kids were burning their hands.

Because we needed a non-permanent solution, we bought a "bbq gazebo" (it's like a tent/gazebo for a bbq grill!) and put it in place at the front door. It looks (mostly) like a front door awning, but it's removable.