Menu

Sonlight Timeline Figures - are they necessary?

ednkirstin

I'm putting all the finishing touches on school preparation this week, and I'm trying to decide if the SL timeline figures are worthwhile. Do you use them and love/hate them? Did you plan to use them, but had a hard time fitting them in? I have to order them today if I'm going to use them. I'm looking over everything we've got planned and I'm feeling swamped. I don't want to waste my money if we're not really going to use them, but I don't want to miss out if they're wonderful...KWIM?

I use them and neither love nor hate them. How's that for a nonanswer? I do like that they give DD a visual aid of the progression of history, but I don't think they are necessary. I'm not hitting myself over the head saying "Why didn't we use these before???" at any rate.

dd loves working on her timeline. I like the sets from Sonlight since they are stickers and make it pretty easy to use. Are they 100% necessary, no but they do make a nice timeline. I can say dd does like to notice what else was going on when we put in a new sticker. I think it helps her mesh what she learned in the world history courses with the American history course.

• 2 weeks later...

We used them, but after a few years ran out of room on some of our pages. The Renaissance quickly became a big jumbled mess.

When I switched to TOG for my oldest child, I bought some timeline software and LOVE it. I wish I had used it all along. It would have been much cheaper too.

SL uses pictures from Homeschool In The Woods. They have a complete set of timeline figures on CD.

For us, when we used SL, the timeline was a love/hate thing. I hated the timeline book and lots of times the IG did not have the timeline indication on the page. I do think it is a great idea and a useful tool for learning or reviewing so worth the purchase. We still use timelines here but not in a book. We hand the years figures on a string and my dd can see at a glance where the figure fits in history.

I'm with others... don't LOVE them, but don't hate them either. :) We just started using them this year for Core D, and I DO like that they are a sticker. My son is writing phobic, so asking him to write anything useful on a timeline would be like pulling teeth. If there isn't a sticker, I write it myself. :tongue_smilie: Eventually, I may just have him use a free online timeline (I made an account at one, though I can't offhand remember which one it was :lol:). The online ones would be neat because you can find a picture on the web and put it in there. But since my son isn't good at typing yet, and I don't trust an 8 year old to search the web for pictures without accidentally seeing something he shouldn't, I would still end up having to do the work. So for now, we're using the SL timeline book and stickers.

The main thing I don't like about the SL stickers is that they don't include everything that is mentioned in the IG, so you do still have to write some stuff in, as I mentioned above. Most things have a sticker though.

We love the stickers and the timeline book.. BUT I'd rather not order from Sonlight.... does Little Homeschool in the Woods sell them directly as stickers (instead of cd)? Or does Sonlight have exclusive rights?

I don't think HITW sells them on sticker paper, but you could easily print it on sticker paper yourself. The Sonlight ones aren't cut out or anything. They're just printed on one big sticker. You have to cut around the figures yourself.

Which software do you use? I haven't jumped into the timeline yet, so my options are still open. :)

It's called Easy Timeline Creator.

http://www.timelinecreator.com/home.htm

They have it at Rainbow Resources for $23.95.

I also like the fact that you just load it onto your computer one time and from then on just click the icon on your desktop- no taking the disk in and out every time.