Menu

Dead Websites in Discovery of Deduction

I am starting to get all the articles together from the internet, and more than half so far lead nowhere! (Can you tell I am frustrated?!) I have contacted CAP, but I was wondering if anyone has already put together a new list of current websites?

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

• 3 weeks later...

Ruth,

Did you hear from CAP about this? We're about to start DoD, too.

On another note, if you don't mind, would you be willing to share your planned schedule? I'm not sure whether we should just spend an hour twice each week and see where it takes us or do one or two lessons each week or something else. I plan to spend the full year on this with my 11yo 7th-grader, but the 44 lessons are of varying lengths. Also, are you turning any of the reviews into tests? I used some in AofA as open-book tests but didn't really insist on memorizing everything. (I had only the student book last year.) Logic has been fun and consistent for us but not rigorous so far. That may have to change this year.

Thanks!

Did you hear from CAP about this? We're about to start DoD, too.

No, they just told me they were aware of it. It looks like about 1/3 are dead links. The sections that have the links is only one small part of each chapter and the goal of that section is to make what you are learning more applicable by seeing it in action (thus the links to applicable essays etc). Instead, we are using our textbooks and analyzing paragraphs from a formal logic point of view. So far I have found this very relevant and effective. I also plan to use op eds from new papers.

On another note, if you don't mind, would you be willing to share your planned schedule?
I only have a hand written schedule, so here it is in the brief version. Each line is one week. I start with reviewing the previous chapters and drilling vocab. Then we read the new section, answer the questions, and analyze a paragraph or 2 from a textbook or magazine like SciAm or Economist. This takes an hour. I am not sure, yet, if we will be writing the essays. I think that my son would get more out of the essays after we work our way through Lost Tools of Writing, so I might do what another on this board has done and do a second year of logic/philosophy/persuasive writing and go back and write up all the essays. I think the essays would take at least an hour each to do well. Finally, we review the vocab for 10 minutes later in the week.

Here is the schedule. We did the early chapters quickly because they were really boring. I have combined certain sections together or spread them out to try to make each week take about an hour:

28 week schedule:

ch 1 and first half of ch2

2nd half of ch 2 and ch 3

4.1-4.3

4.5-4.6

4.7-4.8

5.1-5.3

6.1-6.3

7.1-7.2

8.1-8.2

8.6 1st half

8.6 2nd half

9.1-9.2

Logic has been fun and consistent for us but not rigorous so far. That may have to change this year.
So far we are still having fun. I want it to be a tool that he can use so I do want him to memorize a bunch of stuff and to apply it regularly. Not sure if we will be doing tests. Oh, we are also continuing to review the AoA fallacies. My goal is for him to be able to state all of them from memory (and some of the subsections). Definitely need more drill here at our house.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Thank you, Ruth. Those ideas are extremely helpful! My son recognizes the fallacies in daily life and knows them pretty well, but I agree that it will be important to work in some review. Great schedule, and I appreciate your typing it all in!