Menu

What is wrong with my Granola? PLEASE HELP!!!!

EVERY time I try to make granola it BURNS. This last batch was suppose to cook for 2 hours at 250 degrees. At 90 minutes it started smelling bad. I went in and when I opened the oven it was BURNT. The edges are crispy. I've used metal and stoneware cookie sheets. I am at a total loss.

If any of you have a tried and true recipe or further cooking instructions I would SOOO MUCH appreciate it. Buying the ingredients over and over again gets expensive!!!

TIA

ETA I did rotate/stir it halfway through, as directed

Hmmm, not sure. Maybe you need to stir it more frequently?

Here's the recipe I use. It's super easy & involves much less oven time!

Lazy Granola

Mix 1/2 cup each of brown sugar, oil, and honey in a saucepan.

Bring to a low boil.

Add 1 tsp. cinnamon and 2 tsp. vanilla.

Pour over 7 cups of oats in a large pan.

Stir until coated.

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Take out and stir. Put pan back in oven, turn off, and go to bed.

EVERY time I try to make granola it BURNS. This last batch was suppose to cook for 2 hours at 250 degrees. At 90 minutes it started smelling bad. I went in and when I opened the oven it was BURNT. The edges are crispy. I've used metal and stoneware cookie sheets. I am at a total loss.

If any of you have a tried and true recipe or further cooking instructions I would SOOO MUCH appreciate it. Buying the ingredients over and over again gets expensive!!!

TIA

ETA I did rotate/stir it halfway through, as directed

I cook mine for about 30 minutes (depending on amount) stirring every 10 to 15 mins in a slow oven (300?). I think stirring is the key.

Let me know if you need a recipe. I can give you mine.

Stir more often, and use less honey. More brown sugar is ok to make up for the honey if you wish. Honey burns at a much lower temp than other sugars. I like to stir mine every 10 or 15 minutes. I make huge batches and the pans are filled pretty deep so I need to stir a lot.