Menu

Cross post: Exciting news re: my 11yo ds.

Some of you will remember that my 11yo ds was diagnosed mildly MR two years ago. He couldn't read, couldn't do math, and couldn't learn much of anything. After a psychiatrist prescribed Vyvanse (an ADHD drug) to "up his processing a little," we started seeing great gains.

I just received his achievement test scores. My boy, the one who the psychologist said needed to be in a special needs room so he could learn "life skills"?

HE IS ON GRADE LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall he was at the 41st percentile, with a 70th in reading.

I am almost in tears. He is the hardest working kid I know, and he deserves all that he has gained.

Congrats on the improvement.

I saw similar changes with my then 11 year old last school year. The difference was night and day.

It's interesting that Cindy Gaddis talks about how things come together somewhere between the ages of 11-13 and that is what you and I have experienced.

If you notice the ages of kids and topics being discussed on this board, it often corresponds to Cindy's line of thought about right brained developmental timelines.

http://www.therightsideofnormal.com/

It was true for my 14yo, too. His achievement test results are better than they have ever been, but his math score brought him down overall. I can attribute the math score to his total lack of effort.:glare:

This is pretty amazing! I am trying to get my head around this.... did a neuro-psych. test your son, and diagnose him with mild MR only to try an ADHD med. and he could no longer be 'labeled' MR??

Was it a different person who suggested the medicine?

This is pretty amazing! I am trying to get my head around this.... did a neuro-psych. test your son, and diagnose him with mild MR only to try an ADHD med. and he could no longer be 'labeled' MR??

Was it a different person who suggested the medicine?

Two different people. The psychologist diagnosed him with mild MR. A psychiatrist prescribed the Vyvanse. He was having horrible rages (threatening to kill others and himself) because of pure frustration. The Vyvanse was started to try and stop the rages.

The mild MR was (obviously) a wrong diagnosis. He did have VERY low functioning, and his language skills were at the same low level as his measured IQ. He had an updated language eval this week and his vocabulary tested well above average (about double what it was 2 years ago.)

Two different people. The psychologist diagnosed him with mild MR. A psychiatrist prescribed the Vyvanse. He was having horrible rages (threatening to kill others and himself) because of pure frustration. The Vyvanse was started to try and stop the rages.

The mild MR was (obviously) a wrong diagnosis. He did have VERY low functioning, and his language skills were at the same low level as his measured IQ. He had an updated language eval this week and his vocabulary tested well above average (about double what it was 2 years ago.)

Wow. That is really fantastic! Pretty amazing on the 2nd dr.'s part.

Some of you will remember that my 11yo ds was diagnosed mildly MR two years ago. He couldn't read, couldn't do math, and couldn't learn much of anything. After a psychiatrist prescribed Vyvanse (an ADHD drug) to "up his processing a little," we started seeing great gains.

I just received his achievement test scores. My boy, the one who the psychologist said needed to be in a special needs room so he could learn "life skills"?

I am almost in tears. He is the hardest working kid I know, and he deserves all that he has gained.

That's fantastic! Congratulations! May it only continue and increase!

Amazing!! What a great outcome!

That makes sense. For a moment, I thought you'd found a cure for MR.

BTW, what happened with the SM situation?

Edited by Alessandra