Menu

Prayer for our area, please.

We live in rally town. 1 wk out of the yr our small 6,000 pop. town turns into 100s of thousands of people, mostly on motor cycles. I know that there are a lot of really good people that come. There are also a lot of big name biker gangs come in. The police to a grand job of control but there is always the threat of war.:tongue_smilie: Of course the other thing that goes along with it all is the people that are injured and/or kill this week. My dh and I had to go across town and back. We took interstate back and it looked like there was a bad accident up the road from where we turned off. As we pulled up in front of our home 2 ambulances went by in the opposite direction of interstate so I am thinking there has been another one the other way. This is the first official day of the rally. 6 more to go.

Please keep all the officials in prayer, the drivers, both bike and car in prayer, the hospital staff, and the buisnesses in our town. Some make good money. The clerk at the one we went to told us that they loose about 20,000 this week.

Edited by mom4him

Praying! We made the mistake one year of planning our Black Hills trip around the same time as the Rally. I was chaotic. However, we did meet some really interesting people (who, after a day's ride, had no idea what inside voices were;)). I never knew that there were Christian biker gangs.

Yes, there are Christian bike gangs. We used to have about 25 of them stay in our yard. I fed them breakfast and sometimes supper. I really enjoyed it most of the time. After our oldest son got hurt it was one of the things I had to drop. Just not enough days in the hour.:D

Yes, my sister and her daughter and grand daughters made the mistake of coming here during rally one year. WOW! They had planned on staying in a motel but of course that week you don't just go rent a room and if you could you would have to take out a second morgage.

I appreciate your prayers. My dh just told me there has been two rally deaths, both from alcohol and speed. That would have had to be today as they don't count anything other than from Monday through Sunday. It makes my heart hurt.

The local trauma center used to have a tally board for deaths and injuries during ROT Rally. Alcohol and/or drugs combined with speed and no helmets while riding a machine which (because of physics) is going to lose in most confrontations with a car is simply not a good combination.

ROT Rally used to be on Memorial Day Weekend. I absolutely hated when my shift fell on the Saturday or Sunday of that weekend.

It is tuff on police and hospital staff. I don't know what the shifts are at the hospital but the police pull 12 hr shifts for I believe 12 days straight. We live next door to the Chief of police. By the time the rally is over he looks like he is a walking stick. His wife is doing chemo also so they have that added stress. Awesome couple.

I wanted to do an update. There have been 8 deaths so far. The traffic on our street is really crazy. We live 1 block off one of the main streets through town and many times when the traffic backs up they turn over and come down our street.:tongue_smilie: The sirens went constantly on Monday and were pretty steady on Tuesday but not as bad yesterday and today.

It is such a difficult day as my kids are pretty much yard bound. I simply do not let them leave the yard unless they have one of us with them.

The good thing is we have our house almost put back together from a very long remodel project and the kids have been very busy getting their rooms where they need to be.:D

I really appreciate all of you that have been praying. We have 3 more days.

We had the Hell's Angels here. They haven't come back. Their comments: It's too cold and there's nothing to do! No kidding!

Yes, well, they own a camp ground a couple of miles from town.:tongue_smilie: Their big 'play' now is, 'They are just a good family group.' :001_huh:

They are only one group that honor us with their presence though and I guess they really are one of the tamer gangs.

Thanks, ladies. Two more days and our beautiful little town will be back.

Just an interesting note. I saw a clip on the news a couple of nights ago. At 2 a.m. the clean up crew start in on main street( approx. 6 blocks) and they finish at 7 a.m. Despite what many think our town goes behind every year on the rally. Do to that we have some of the highest taxes in the area. The big thing that I hear all the time is the money it brings to the area and it does for a few but not that many that actually live here.

I know it is here to stay. It does make me sad when I see what it has done and continues to do to our town. A few years ago I had a very good friend that worked for the Public Health Office here. She said they gear up every year as they know there will be an influx of young girls, some very young, coming in pregnant. How do you balance that out will all the money it brings in to the area?

Ok, I am going to quit complaining. :)