Menu

Qs about applying for IB program/transcripts

My older two will be in 7th grade this year and I want them to apply for an IB program (starts in 9th, apply in 8th grade). The application requirements include having a certain GPA and standardized test scores in 7th and 8th grades. I have tried numerous times to contact the IB coordinator to ask questions about homeschoolers applying, with no response. So, I'm having them take our state's standardized tests, and hopefully the 7th grade SAT, but I could use some advice on how to make a 7th grade GPA that has some credibility. Should I just follow the same advice for those of you who have made high school transcripts? One problem is that we're not exactly using a set book/program for every course. Should I get more organized with that and use specific books in each subject? So far I know we're using AoPs Intro to Algebra, SYRWTLF, and the rest I've been piecing together...eek. Any advice?

I am interested as well! Dd12 may be applying to competitive high school with the same time frame (7th now, need transcript, GPA, and test scores for 7th and 8th (partial as application and entrance testing are done in Dec)). She will take the SAT on the December date.

I thought I had a whole year left :eek:

I am interested as well! Dd12 may be applying to competitive high school with the same time frame (7th now, need transcript, GPA, and test scores for 7th and 8th (partial as application and entrance testing are done in Dec)). She will take the SAT on the December date.

I thought I had a whole year left :eek:

I know! And it seems like we were just learning fractions and long division...where did the time go?

...So, I'm having them take our state's standardized tests, and hopefully the 7th grade SAT, but I could use some advice on how to make a 7th grade GPA that has some credibility. Should I just follow the same advice for those of you who have made high school transcripts? One problem is that we're not exactly using a set book/program for every course. Should I get more organized with that and use specific books in each subject? So far I know we're using AoPs Intro to Algebra, SYRWTLF, and the rest I've been piecing together...eek. Any advice?

I think your plan of having them take those standardized tests is a good one. And, yes, I'd make a middle school transcript along the lines of a high school transcript.

You might consider making course descriptions to explain your plan for each course. I would be reluctant to give up using the materials/plans that I'd designed to use textbooks in all subjects.

Best wishes in having your children get into this program.

Regards,

Kareni