Menu

s/o if you let your kid sleep late or too much, are they more grumpy?

s/o if you let your kid sleep late or too much, are they more grumpy?  

1. 1. s/o if you let your kid sleep late or too much, are they more grumpy?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends (try not to pick this one)

No one here can sleep late (or too much) or they are really grumpy. They all have different needs for sleep, but I know how long they can sleep before they must be woke up. My SO is a great example. One day I thought I would be nice and let him sleep in a bit. He ended up sleeping almost 12hours (double what he needs). I will never make that mistake again, he was grumpy and even more tired than when he started. I have to adjust my expectations for each person at some time, but I've got a pretty good idea on what they need. My sister was horrified that I was going to wake up my kids the other day. "Let them sleep, you need the break". Nah, I like my happy children more than a break in the morning. :tongue_smilie:

Here we have the opposite problem. If they get up too early, they are grumpy and irritable. The only exception is if my youngest actually naps, which is never on purpose, he wakes up grumpy regardless. Or if he wakes after one of his brothers he becomes grumpy because I didn't wake him up "on time." He hates missing out on anything, so when he wakes and discovers that they were up first (which is very very rare) he gets angry.

But neither of those is actually related to length of time he slept, just to the circumstances surrounding the sleep/wake. The nap makes him mad because he hates falling asleep in the daytime, and usually if he's fallen asleep, he was overly tired and cranky before hand; he then wakes up still cranky only worse because he's mad at himself for sleeping. I still let him sleep instead of wake him, because the break is blissful and the wake-up grouchies are over faster than the pre-nap grouchies.

Dd has always needed a lot of sleep. For me to wake her prematurely would cause more problems than it is worth.

Change to ds and same thing. He's a teen and really needs about 12 hours of sleep. When he was younger he could do a little less, but at least 9-10 minimum.

Change to ds and same thing. He's a teen and really needs about 12 hours of sleep. When he was younger he could do a little less, but at least 9-10 minimum.

I'm so glad to read this. Great Girl sleeps up to 13 hours a night (usually 11-12 though) and all the "experts" seem sure that that's far too much.

If that happens here, I don't think it's the sleep. I think it's hunger. Get food into them as quickly as possible.

:iagree: Grumpiness, in my experience, is more about lack of proper nutrition when needed than sleep. One can be grumpy right before breakfast, but that often leaves as soon as the belly is full again.