1. 1. Poll: For my kid to get up at 8:30 AM they need to be asleep by:

• 8:30 PM
    • 9:00 PM
    • 9:30 PM
    • 10:00 PM
    • 10:30 PM
    • 11:00 PM
    • 11:30 PM

I don't know how to answer this. DS has never, ever slept as late as 8:30 am. It's a rare morning that he's not up and at-em at 7 am. DD shares his room and occasionally "sleeps in" until 7:30.

I put them to bed at about 8, but even if they're up late (like New Year's) they're still up early, but grouchy!

It will be different depending in the kid and the age. DS goes to bed by 11 and is easily up by 8 every day. He has never needed as much sleep as dd. She sleeps for 12 hours each nigjt if left on her own. If in bed by 10:30, I can wake her at 8:30 for a max of 3 days. Then she needs a full 14 hours to recover.

My kids wake up the same time, no matter what time they go to bed. I have one who may randomly sleep late, but if they all three sleep until 7:30, I get excited because they slept "late".

So in our case, I put them bed early enough that they can get enough sleep to be pleasant the next day. My goal is 7:30 - all three are in bed reading. My 5 year has lights off at 8:00. My 8 and 9 year olds turn the lights off at 8:30. It takes them less than 30 minutes to get from fully dressed/playing into bed, not counting showers.

If my DH is working day shift, everything shifts later because he doesn't get home until 6:30 and he wants to see the kids.

We put kids to bed at 8pm, oldest three can read in their rooms for an hour. All of them are up by 6 (except for the 3yo...who will sleep until 8). Technically, I *should* be able to keep them up, and have them sleep later, but all that keeping the kids up later usually does is ensure I have crabby kiddos the following day.

My 8 yr old needs about 11 hours of sleep, my 5 yr old needs about the same but usually goes to bed a little earlier and gets up a little earlier. They both typically get up before 8:30 though.

For us, we try to have lights out by 9. The 5 yr old typically falls asleep more like 8:30 and is up at 7:30-8, the 8 yr old is usually up around 8ish. The wake up times don’t change that much even if they go to bed late.

We try and start the bedtime routine somewhere around 7 if everyone has to shower, more like 7:30 or so if they don’t need to shower. But we read a lot together before bed, which takes up the most time of the routine. Usually I am in the boys’ room reading to them by about 8 and we will read about an hour.

As long as my kids (age 5) are in bed by around 10pm, they get up by 8am (usually earlier). It also depends on whether they have a particular motivation to get up early. It's amazing what a little motivation will do, even for young kids.

As long as my kids (age 5) are in bed by around 10pm, they get up by 8am (usually earlier). It also depends on whether they have a particular motivation to get up early. It's amazing what a little motivation will do, even for young kids.
What kind of motivation are you talking about? :bigear:

I'd say on average, 9:30. Bedtime routine starting at 8:30 and done by 9, then time to read before lights out at 9:30. But, my children, who came from I-don't-know-where, have been going to bed around midnight recently. My 2yo wakes up around 7, my 6yo around 9:30.

My kids could never sleep in until 8:30. Even when they stay up late they are up 7:30. they are 11 hour sleepers, so I voted 9:30.

It just depends. If my child had a hard time getting up in the morning, I'd make an earlier bedtime. For me, sleeping in until 8:30 would make me even more tired. I need to be asleep before 10:30 and up by 7 or 7:30 to feel good.

Really depends on the kidlets.

Tazzie and Princess start bed time btwn 730 -8pm. Usually asleep by 830.

Tazzie's up before 7, Princess w/in an hr of that. Both of them prefer to be up before Daddy leaves for work, otherwise they're upset.

I voted 9:30 as that is 11 hours.

but...

It is summer, so the kids are sleeping about 10 hours a night. Fall and Spring seem to be 11 and during the winter they sleep about 12 hours a night. So I adjust with the seasons, we slowly creep earlier to bed as it gets closer to Christmas, then bedtime gets later as we go towards summer.

ds, brushes his teeth, gets ready, and then reads in bed for an hour or so. He needs the wind down time. dd will play and do whatever, then brush teeth, 1 story and she is asleep.

We go to bed between 10:30 and 11:30 every night, always have. My 11 yr old and 7 yr old are both normally up by 8:30 with that bedtime, though the 11 yr old is starting to sleep later. My 14 yr old hasn't been up by 8:30 in a few years unless we've woken him for a specific reason. On those days he is able to function and be a pleasant human being despite being woken up "early" so I think he'd be capable of getting up at 8:30 if we needed him to. We don't need anyone up at a certain time, so we just roll with it.

We do showers early in the evening (right after dinner) but do teeth brushing and such maybe 15 mins before the target bedtime. Or rather, we don't have a target bedtime, but the teeth brushing stuff means that children will be in beds ~15 mins after whatever time we start that routine.

I voted 11:30, but tbh they rarely stay up that late. They are just natural early risers. Most mornings they are both up by the time dh leaves at 7, regardless of what time they went to sleep the night before. Most nights they are in bed by 9, but we have been letting them stay up later to watch the Olympics.

I didn't vote because for one of my 8 year olds he needs to be asleep by 8:30 to get up at 8:30. Maybe to bed even earlier. The other 9:30 would do it easily. I think he's more typically in sleep needs (typically 10-11 hours...I think he does better on the longer end of that but he tends to the 10 hour mark more often).

Edited by sbgrace

During the summer they're in bed by 9 but they can read until I go to bed which is 10-11. During this time they will usually sleep until 9 or 10.

During the school year they're in bed by 8 and can read until 9. During this time they will usually wake up naturally around 7 or 8.

Depends on the age of the child. Five to 10 is a wide age gap. My 5yos always seemed to require about 12 hours in the way of sleep per night but by 8 were sleeping less, perhaps 10 hours or so.

Our nighttime routine starts between 7 and 730, depending upon who needs a bath before bed. They are in their rooms by 8 p.m. pretty much like clockwork during the week. They are allowed to read quietly on their beds until they fall asleep. My 4yo is usually out within 15 minutes; my 9yo reads for about an hour; my teenager would read all night, every night if I let him. :tongue_smilie:

Sleep needs seem to vary a lot. My DD6 naturally sleeps 9 hours every night. DS7 could sleep 11. DD9 is good with 10. DS4 is also good with 9-10.

At 9:00 we start the bedtime routine which is 30 minutes of jammies, teeth brushing, etc., and 30 minutes of readaloud time. My kids basically sleep 10:00-8:00. If they want to read they can. DD9 often reads until pretty late, esp. now that we don't HAVE to get up at 8:00 to get all our learning done. :)

for my kids to get up at a certain time I would have them go to bed 10 hours before that time. Right now, it being summer, we let them stay up late, so they are in their beds, lights out at 10 pm. They wake up at around 8 am. It's really hot were we live, so we usually don't do outside time until around 5 pm when its starts to cool down outside. So, because of this, we usually end up letting the kids play out doors late, have dinner later than ususual and then sometimes let play some more. Coming in at about 9 is not uncommon. We usually have dinner around 7:30 in summer, versus about 6 the rest of the year. During the school year, however, they'll probably be going to be at 9 and waking up at 7. They are 3, 5, 8. The 3 and 5 year old still nap, so they on average get about 12 hours of sleep a day, including the 2 hour nap.

My kids aged 3, 6, 7, and 9 have a 7:30 bedtime. PJs, snack, and story at 7, in bed at 7:30. Depending on the child, asleep by 8/8:30. They are all up by 6:30am. That's OK with me because we need to get up early. Lots to do.

My teenagers are supposed to be in bed by 9pm and up at 6 (17yo) and 6:30 (14yo). If they are in bed on time, they don't have any trouble getting up by then.

My children have never slept that late in their lives.

My 5yo never has either. I cannot imagine how late I'd have to keep her up for to sleep that late. Ds does now sometimes sleep late but usually 8 at the latest, very rarely later than that.

I posted for right now -- 11 p.m. would get them up at 8:30 a.m. Though, they sleep more in the winter than in the summer (so do I!).

But in our world, they usually go to bed in the summer by 10 p.m., and are up by 7:30 a.m. In the winter, they are in bed by 9 p.m. and up by 7-7:30 a.m.

They both usually nap once or twice a week of their own volition.

I voted 10:30 but that is wrong. :001_smile: i don't let my kids stay up that late at the ages of your kid. Dd12 is in bed by 9. If she can't fall asleep, she can read for awhile but not too long. Smetimes she goes to bed at 9:30. She is usually up by 8:30, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Dd9 goes to bed at 7:00 and actually sleeps because she is restless at night. When she is a little older she will be allowed to watch tv or entertain herself a little later. I will adjust as needed.

we're sun-up, sun-down folks, and that starts when they're little :001_smile:.

dh and i are headed for bed at 9pm, so its nice for littles to be in bed a bit earlier than that. but then, we're up at 6am, and they're often up about then, too, so ???

its cooler here in the early morning and evening, so its nice to be awake both times.

why 8:30? (inquiring minds want to know ;))

ann

we're sun-up, sun-down folks, and that starts when they're little :001_smile:.

dh and i are headed for bed at 9pm, so its nice for littles to be in bed a bit earlier than that. but then, we're up at 6am, and they're often up about then, too, so ???

its cooler here in the early morning and evening, so its nice to be awake both times.

why 8:30? (inquiring minds want to know ;))

ann

Because our typical pattern is to get up after 10 AM and 8:30 might get us to church on time. ;)

I can not vote, because there is no option for past midnight. If I had wanted my kids to sleep till 8:30am, I would have had to keep them up until 1am. If they went to bed before midnight, they'd be up at 7am at the latest. Any normal bedtime resulted in being up at 6am or so.

I can't answer the poll. My kids have never slept as late as 8:30am, and I wouldn't want them to either. We usually have a lot done by then, and we have several outside lessons that start at 8:30.

Mine are usually awake around 6/6:30, although my nearly 3yr old often wakes at 5:30 :glare: They go to bed 7pm-ish. DD went to bed at 8pm last night - still woke at 5:30am...

I can't answer the poll. My kids have never slept as late as 8:30am, and I wouldn't want them to either. We usually have a lot done by then, and we have several outside lessons that start at 8:30.

Mine are usually awake around 6/6:30, although my nearly 3yr old often wakes at 5:30 :glare: They go to bed 7pm-ish. DD went to bed at 8pm last night - still woke at 5:30am...

okay, so 9.5 hours. That's all I need to know.;)