Menu

CC-Does everything happen "for a reason"?

I'm a Christian (Catholic) and used to strongly believe that "everything happens for a reason". I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not sure what I think right now. What do you think?

Does that imply that God has intentionally planned every action? If so, then my answer is no. I don't think God wants someone to go shoot up a movie theater or use drugs or kill as many Jews as possible. Now, do I think God can make good things happen out of those bad things? Yes, I do.

I used to think so, but I don't anymore. There are too many horrors all over the world. I think many things can be turned around for good, but not that God "allows" or "predestined" them to happen so they could turn into X,Y,Z.

I'm thinking about things outside our control such as fertility struggles, miscarriage, etc. What could possibly be the reason for the death of a child or a late miscarriage??? IKD anymore. I don't see how any good can come out of such things besides maybe learning to rely on God more fully?? IDK.

Edited by Moxie

There doesn't have to be a reason. We live in a fallen world. The sins of man make bad things happen. God is there for us to rely on for the strength to get through the bad times. He can use His people to make good come from those horrible situations but He does NOT make the bad things happen to teach us things. :(

I believe all things are redeemable, but I do not believe that God orchestrates all the bad or all the good. Sometimes what looks like good, turns out to be for our harm, and what looks like bad, is for our good.

That isn't to say that I don't believe SOME things don't happen for a reason, I do, even if I cannot see it at the time.

Let me give you some framework for my answer to your question.

I believe that God created the world perfect, and sinless.

I believe that He left the capability to choose wrongly or rightly in us.

I believe that humanity fell into sin, and that from that evolved all evil, death, disease, illness, misfortune.

So, with that in mind, I don't think that any of those effects of sin are God's will. He does not generally make them happen. But He does allow them. They are part of life now.

However, He does promise, in Romans 8, that all things work together for good to those who love God, who are called according to His purpose. Given this promise, I believe that God brings good from every ill that happens to His people.

It's not so much that things happen for a reason, as that despite the evil in the world and its effects, God does bring good from bad.

So my prayers are always that evil be prevented, but also that when evil does come, that God will enable me to see the good that He brings from it. I know that the good is there, and seeing it can be consoling. Having said all that, God does not promise that the evil will outweigh the good here on earth. So it does not make every trouble 'worth it' in an earthly sense. However, God also tells us that the ultimate victory is His and has already been won. The remaining effects of sin on earth are more or less just 'mopping up' operations after the major battle has been finished. That doesn't prevent me or others from having agonizing troubles, and it doesn't stop the absolute need for compassion and mercy and action on behalf of those who are hurting, but it does give some balance and perspective that prevents despair.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I'm thinking about things outside our control such as fertility struggles, miscarriage, etc. What could possibly be the reason for the death of a child or a late miscarriage??? IKD anymore.

As sad as it might be the reason may simply be that such a thing needs to happen.

On the other hand sometimes stuff happens, and that stuff is bad. We live in a fallen world and have been given free will. With those two things it is inevitable that stuff happens.

I'm thinking about things outside our control such as fertility struggles, miscarriage, etc. What could possibly be the reason for the death of a child or a late miscarriage??? IKD anymore. I don't see how any good can come out of such things besides maybe learning to rely on God more fully?? IDK.

Learning to rely on God more fully is extremely important, but there can be other reasons--perhaps with fertility struggles He has children He's planned to be adopted by that couple, and with the death of a child perhaps He needed that sweet innocent back in heaven with Him at this time, etc, plus that often brings families closer together if they lean on each other and God, etc. :grouphug:

Does that imply that God has intentionally planned every action? If so, then my answer is no. I don't think God wants someone to go shoot up a movie theater or use drugs or kill as many Jews as possible. Now, do I think God can make good things happen out of those bad things? Yes, I do.

:iagree:

I believe that everything happens for this reason: we live in a fallen world that is stained by sickness and death, and filled with broken people exercising their free will.

God doesn't always choose to intervene, but he can bring healing and even beauty from any situation.

Evil never has the last word.

I believe somethings just happen because of natural causes. You can't stop getting old and your heart wearing out. You can't always stop your body from getting ill or cancer. In my sisters case she could not have a baby because her body will cycle properly. sometimes there is no reason and I don't believe "because God allowed this for a reason", bad things happen because bad things happen and we don't have to understand although we will always want answers.

I believe some (many!!!) things happen for a reason--that God wanted them to happen to us--and other things happen because He granted mankind free will and sometimes people use it to make bad choices, but we can always use trials to grow closer to God and learn to lean on Him.

:iagree::iagree:

I believe all things are redeemable, but I do not believe that God orchestrates all the bad or all the good. Sometimes what looks like good, turns out to be for our harm, and what looks like bad, is for our good.

That isn't to say that I don't believe SOME things don't happen for a reason, I do, even if I cannot see it at the time.

I think this is where I am on the question.

I do think God sometimes allows us to experience the consequences of our actions, and also the consequences of others' actions. I believe sin has actually affected our DNA. I know, that's not very mainstream a belief. :001_smile:

I also believe we need to have an eternal perspective--a perspective without the boundary of time. This life is extremely important and valued by God--that's what the Incarnation showed us. But it is not all there is--just a tiny, tiny part.

Edited by Chris in VA

I used to believe that it did (and try to convince myself that it did whenever this conviction wavered).

I don't any more.

Examples such as this: http://news.yahoo.com/6-old-conn-boy-dies-wood-chipper-accident-234308213.html

If there were an almighty, all-compassionate deity, it's hard to imagine that it couldn't reach the same end-goals using some other of the infinite tools at its disposal than doing this to a little boy.