Menu

first day of school ideas

Selena

In search of ideas for starting off the school year (at home...no field trips on the first day) as a hit! Will have 6th grade girl, 3rd grade boy & 6 month old.

Fun writing, crafts, worksheets, organization, scheduling, etc? All ideas welcome & appreciated!

:bigear:

Here's what I have done over the last few years:

I gather some fun school supplies, such as cool pens fun erasers, a notepad with their name embossed on it, etc. I put the items in a fun container they can use and fill it in with candy. I place these at the school table for them to see & look through when they come into our school room in the morning.

We also fill out a fun autobiography form. We do this each year, so after they fill it out, I let them look at last year's form so they can see how they've changed. They love this! Honestly, so do I! It's super fun to learn new likes/dislikes, etc.

I always spend a few minutes "casting a vision" of our year. I tell them what we're going to study, show them the books we'll use, and spend time talking about how our learning will be fun! (Field trips, projects, read alouds, etc.) We also talk about the school year schedule and we talk about how they should use their new planners. They like looking through these, too.

Then . . . we head out for donuts, but before we do I snap a couple of photos of the boys while we're outside (for my scrapbook).

I try to focus on basics the first week of school and make sure we get to do plenty of the fun things: art, science project, crafts, etc.

......This year, I hope to change things up a little bit -- because we've moved. We'll keep the autobiography, the planner, and the "vision casting pep talk", but I want to make this year special. Since our school room is new to us, I may decorate it with something fabulous. We may also end our day at Sweet Frogs instead of going out for donuts.

I always spend a few minutes "casting a vision" of our year. I tell them what we're going to study, show them the books we'll use, and spend time talking about how our learning will be fun! (Field trips, projects, read alouds, etc.) We also talk about the school year schedule and we talk about how they should use their new planners. They like looking through these, too.

I love this term/idea---"casting a vision"! That's great.