Menu

Help! Dd9 wet the bed. Is her mattress a goner?

The stuff you spray where a pet has peed. And also airing it out outside. My dd's have wet the bed and we haven't thrown them out. I don't think you'll really know until you've treated it and aired it and than see if the odor is bad. You could also buy one of those plastic mattress covers, just to "seal" it off and keep it from happening again.

It soaked completely through from top to bottom. Yes, I know. Gross. I just need to know whether to throw it out or whether it is salvageable. If you think it's worth trying to save, please tell me how to do that exactly.

Whether you throw it out or not depends on how "monkish" you are. Monk would suggest that you not only get rid of the mattress but burn down your entire house and start all over ;-)

The pet thing sounds like a good idea, but try this....

Get old absorbant towels and put them on the wet areas and apply weight to them drawing out as much liquid as you can. Apply the pet stuff. Put the mattress out in direct sunlight until it is completely dry, this might take a couple of days. Get a very good waterproof mattress protector that is soft on oneside.

Even grown ups needs to have a barrier on the mattress in case of the vomiting, bloody noses, periods, profuse sweating, etc.

I would try all the suggestions given, but I would see them as temporary fixes and start squirreling money away for a new mattress. And I would buy a plastic cover for not only that new mattress, but every mattress in the house. Put on a plastic cover, followed by a quilted mattress cover and you will never know the plastic is there. It is great peace of mind. Mattresses are so expensive!

Put on a plastic cover, followed by a quilted mattress cover and you will never know the plastic is there.

I do this on my kids' beds, but I can not sleep on a plastic mattress pad no matter how much I cover it up with. Makes me sweat. Bleah.

Thanks, everyone. The mattress is out in the sun as I type. I usually put one of those flocked vinyl crib pads in the center of her bed - somehow it didn't get back on after the last sheet change. Aarrgghh! I will have hubby pick up a mattress pad at IKEA on the way home from work - good thing today is payday.:) I will get the plastic cover when I run to WM later today.

When we bought our mattress they offered a cover. It is waterproof - but you can't tell! DH sweats badly and night, and i'd hear about it.

They told us that warranty claims are often denied on mattresses for "fluid stains" - having had a mattress replaced under warranty, i can believe that... anyway, we needed a new mattress pad anyway, so we got it.

It actually stays on our thick bed!

IT's by Southern Textiles (i just happen to have the paper right here in my mess to clean up), called "The Platinum Mattress Protector".

I have no clue where you can buy it in stores - but the next new mattresses i buy are getting it too.

When we bought our mattress they offered a cover. It is waterproof - but you can't tell! DH sweats badly and night, and i'd hear about it.

They told us that warranty claims are often denied on mattresses for "fluid stains" - having had a mattress replaced under warranty, i can believe that... anyway, we needed a new mattress pad anyway, so we got it.

It actually stays on our thick bed!

IT's by Southern Textiles (i just happen to have the paper right here in my mess to clean up), called "The Platinum Mattress Protector".

I have no clue where you can buy it in stores - but the next new mattresses i buy are getting it too.

I just googled it and found many places that sell it - all around $40 - looks like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh good - glad it's easy to find, i was holding my lunch plate when i was typing that, so google was out :D

I need 4 twin's.... someday......

But it's the only mattress pad i've ever bought that i felt was worth the money - even without the "waterproof" factor.

Hopefully the sun does the trick - we've always used baking soda to help absorb the moisture and smell.