Menu

Advice on gaining acceptance into a nursing program vs pre-med for eventual N.P.

rockala

My dd is currently thinking of going for her R.N. and then continuing for her N.P afterwards. From what I have heard nursing programs are difficult to get into. It seems harder as perhaps you get in as a freshmen where as going pre-med you attend where you want probably without too much difficulty and your grades prove out your admitance to medical school.

Her SAT scores are pretty good, but not stellar (1950), she will take the Biology SAT II and another in October.

Anyone gone down this road and can offer advice?

Also, it appears she could go as a Biology major and then do an 18-24 month follow-up to gain her NP status, but need clarification.

Thanks,

Kathy

I haven't been to grad school, but I did look into it extensively a couple of years ago. The problem is that most nurse practitioner programs are moving towards requiring doctorates, so many requirements may be changing. My best advice is to look into what individual schools require. Below is what I learned a few (maybe 3) years ago:

I think this depends greatly on what sort of NP program you're talking about. Nurse Practitioner programs are easier to get into than Nurse Anesthetist programs. It's easier to get into medical school than Nurse Anesthetist school.

If your child just wants to be a nurse practitioner, than the traditional path of RN-->BSN--> grad school is fine for most schools.

If you want to be selective about which nurse practitioner school you go to (IE: Yale School of Nursing), you probably want to have them take the premed requirements anyway.

If your child might want to be a nurse anesthetist or later go to medical school, it's possible to get into a nursing program and also take all the premed requirements because most premed requirements are taken in the first 2 years of a 4 year program, and in many state schools this is while you are on the wait list to get into the nursing program, so no time is lost.

If you're in a state with a good community college program, you can do most of this work at cheaper community colleges.