Menu

The right to bear arms vs. the desire to bear arms

That's very tricky though because I do think a person with a mental health issue is entitled to privacy. That information can be very bad in the wrong hands. So it's like they have to make it easier to access that information, but how do they make it easier and still protect people's right to privacy?

Mental health problems limit where you can work. In our schools you have to have a record check and if you are emotionally unstable or mentally unstable than they can't let you work one on one with the kids. That also is the case in a few other scenarios that involve children. A gun involves everyone around you so you'd think it would be the same thing. Perhaps something on their drivers license? That wouldn't give out the exact information, just that they can't own firearms.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good he at least had enough sense left in him to do that, but people do snap and have no sense at that moment. It only takes a moment.

As it is now, mental health records are usually protected. My parents never so much as got a traffic ticket so there was no record there. But they really should not own guns. Ever.

When I was a kid I overheard my mother tell someone over the phone she bought a gun and was going to kill herself. Talk about the worst thing you could hear your mother say. And I was afraid she was going to kill me. I told her what I heard and she got rid of it.

When my younger sister was born, my mom got terrible PPD. My sister and I both clearly remember her saying often, "I'm going to kill myself. I'm going to commit suicide." The house was full of guns and ammo, but she never got one out and used it.

On the other hand, look at all the people who kill their loved ones with their bare hands, or with various household implements, when in a fit of rage (or in the case of some sick f***s, slowly beat/rape kids to death as a release or pastime). Removing the guns won't solve the real problems.

I have a friend from China. He says there is no access to guns there. However, when he was a kid during some political turmoil, when folks were turning in their friends and neighbors to the government, there were suicides all over the place. He told me he personally witnessed two suicides of couples whom he was close to. It's a crazy world, guns or no guns.

ETA: Oh, and my other friend from India will also tell you folks can't generally get guns. However, people don't seem to think twice about wife burnings, honor killings, etc. And when someone wants to commit a mass murder, they go bomb a train.

Edited by SKL

That's very tricky though because I do think a person with a mental health issue is entitled to privacy. That information can be very bad in the wrong hands. So it's like they have to make it easier to access that information, but how do they make it easier and still protect people's right to privacy?

Here's an idea I had. Have the background checks go through a "private" step that involves a screening based on criminal and medical background. (Believe me, it's all in a database somewhere.) The gun store or whoever just needs to know "approved" or "denied."

Of course if you don't want to be embarrassed about trying to buy a gun while mentally ill, you could simply decline to go to the gun store.

Just a couple of thoughts....

If the statistic is 1 in 4, as far as I know the right to bear arms has been around a very long time. Does this not indicate that perhaps bearing arms is not necessarily helping?

I must admit however that my view is biased. I'm Canadian. I grew up with my dad who owned guns for hunting (which were registered) but I would never choose to own one myself and don't feel a need to own one for protection.

Statistics Canada provides the following information:

US homicide rate (2000) 3 X higher than Canaada

US aggravated assault double Canada

US 65% higher robbery (41% using guns versus 16% in Canada)

Canada had 30% more vehicle theft, break-ins and arson

I believe that our penal systems are very similar so I don't think we have any greater deterent to violent crime than the US. I don't see that the right to bear arms is doing much to deter violent crime...you may not have your car stolen or your house broken into but I would much rather deal with that then the other possible violent crimes.

But I thought you guys also have the "right to bear arms," so what is your point?

Maybe you're agreeing that we might have more violent criminals down here (for any number of reasons unrelated to gun laws). And if so, maybe we're justified in our thought that in some places and situations, we feel better carrying a gun.

Put it this way, my mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia and once got a job as a school bus driver. I know I shouldn't laugh, but COME ON !!!

Then again, my mother never had a car accident that was her fault. She was never arrested. She was a very good driver in fact. I think she was capable of doing the job and I would trust my kids with her.

Thing is, who gets to make that determination? Another problem with mental illness is a diagnosis is made in great part based on opinion. There is no blood test for schizophrenia. Different doctors even had different opinions regarding what exactly my mother's illness was.

Things have changed somewhat since then. My sister could not get certain jobs in a hospital because of her illness. That information was discovered because she was honest during the required physical.

I don't think the entire nation should be forbidden from buying a sporting / safety / survival / collector's item just because some people are mentally ill and we're too nice to point that out when it matters.

Speaking of crazy people, the mailman is out there driving around like a loon. You know, the guy who cusses out the mailboxes. I wonder why he's allowed to drive the mail truck which could cause injury, death, and mayhem if he blows a gasket.

But I thought you guys also have the "right to bear arms," so what is your point?

Maybe you're agreeing that we might have more violent criminals down here (for any number of reasons unrelated to gun laws). And if so, maybe we're justified in our thought that in some places and situations, we feel better carrying a gun.

Incorrect. There is no charter right to bear arms. No one has a right to have a gun of any kind here. It is a privilege. You have to apply for licenses and registrations and the types of guns that you may be allowed to own are very, very limited compared to the US.

J

Statistics Canada provides the following information:

US homicide rate (2000) 3 X higher than Canaada

US aggravated assault double Canada

US 65% higher robbery (41% using guns versus 16% in Canada)

Canada had 30% more vehicle theft, break-ins and arson

I believe that our penal systems are very similar so I don't think we have any greater deterent to violent crime than the US. I don't see that the right to bear arms is doing much to deter violent crime...you may not have your car stolen or your house broken into but I would much rather deal with that then the other possible violent crimes.

At the risk of having the mods delete me again for saying this, but the demographics of Canada are very different than the demographics of the U.S. If the U.S. had the same demographic profile as Canada, our crime rate would be quite a bit lower.

At the risk of having the mods delete me again for saying this, but the demographics of Canada are very different than the demographics of the U.S. If the U.S. had the same demographic profile as Canada, our crime rate would be quite a bit lower.

There is also the small matter of our border with a certain impoverished source of drugs and related violence.