Menu

Best American History for the early grades?

Ruth Smith

I don't think there's a perfect option. I looked at a lot of secular possibilities on my blog here awhile back.

Maybe do something like the Complete Book of US History and add in resources? Or maybe do something like the Betsy Maestro books for the early part of history with added resources?

Guesthollow has an elementary age US history curriculum. I used a lot of those ideas as a base with The Complete Book of United States History and have had a good year. You can use it with fewer books for the kindergartner, or have the younger work through Elemental History's US history curriculum, which is designed for K-1.

I Love America! is good for K and aside from that, I'd just have the younger student listen to picture books related to the topics the older one is studying. That's what I did the past 2 years with my DS.

My oldest DD used the Catholic Schools Textbook Project From Sea to Shining Sea: The Story of America as her "spine".