Menu

Generic Lab template packet

Hunter

Hunter, you are one Neat-O Tostito :).

Thanks for linking that. It may be the first such blank sheet I've seen that is not only not wrong, but very helpful!!! so many Scientific Method teaching tools start with the hypothesis, which bugs the heck out of me b/c scientists start with an interest, they review the literature to see what's known, they take stock of the tools & techniques available to get at what they are interested in -- and then they develop an experiment!

I am also pleased b/c this format allows the possibility that the original "observation" can be scientific -- scientists often end up doing hypothesis-free "experiments" to get enough data to make a proper, testable hypothesis. Recently, for ex, scientists investigating an enormous under-ice lake in Russia (I believe) were working to gather data at extreme pressures & cold temperatures so that they could plan hypothesis-driven projects for a probe being sent to the moons of the outer solar system. At the time I was wishing more science programs included steps of observing & gathering some ideas and information BEFORE developing a hypothesis.

so now everybody knows why I think this lab sheet is Super. Thanks, Hunter.

would you post it on the Accelerated board? or if you don't, may I?

Hunter, you are one Neat-O Tostito :).

Thanks for linking that. It may be the first such blank sheet I've seen that is not only not wrong, but very helpful!!! so many Scientific Method teaching tools start with the hypothesis, which bugs the heck out of me b/c scientists start with an interest, they review the literature to see what's known, they take stock of the tools & techniques available to get at what they are interested in -- and then they develop an experiment!

I am also pleased b/c this format allows the possibility that the original "observation" can be scientific -- scientists often end up doing hypothesis-free "experiments" to get enough data to make a proper, testable hypothesis. Recently, for ex, scientists investigating an enormous under-ice lake in Russia (I believe) were working to gather data at extreme pressures & cold temperatures so that they could plan hypothesis-driven projects for a probe being sent to the moons of the outer solar system. At the time I was wishing more science programs included steps of observing & gathering some ideas and information BEFORE developing a hypothesis.

so now everybody knows why I think this lab sheet is Super. Thanks, Hunter.

would you post it on the Accelerated board? or if you don't, may I?

Go ahead. You can advertise it so much more eloquently than I can. :001_smile: Observing and researching are biggies with me. My preference is to not even have the student make up a hypothesis and figure out variables, until after observing and playing around with some items that MIGHT be used in an experiment. To me it's the hypothesis and the variables that can be skipped, not the observing and research.

I'm no scientist, and very lax about getting content subjects done, but have been obsessing over generic lab sheets for almost 20 years now. I don't get it. I don't. :001_huh: