Menu

s/o - Coming Out - How do deal with family and friends?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennifer3141: Can I ask a dumb question... How do YOU know what happens after death? Did you get a secret memo or something?

Well, not exactly, but in essence...yes, I got the "memo". It's available to anyone who wants it, actually.

As I and others have tried to state, we don't CARE what you think happens after death. We are too busy living THIS life. If I have to rock out eternity with Carl Sagan and Isaac Asmiov, so be it.

Obviously, you don't care what I think. And actually, I'm not sitting around waiting to die, tyvm. (that's funny!). I hope it turns out as benignly as you assume.

As for honoring your parents? Go for it. But the rest of us don't have to live our lives by your rules on that either.

Oh, right. They are only MY rules. There are no consequences whatsoever if you choose to dishonor your parents (sarcasm).

Yeah, I'm not sure about your intelligence as far as all of us agreeing with you and I don't actually care about that either.

I'm not quite sure exactly why you are impugning my intelligence here -as if it is necessarily called into question because I believe in God - but have at it. It is clear you do not care, so I won't ask for elaboration. :tongue_smilie:

But I do think you have either misunderstood the word, "tranquil" or you are going for some sort of clever irony thing. But it's not working. It is however, making me think of Angela from "The Office." So I'm getting quite the good chuckle over here.

Have no idea who "Angela" is, nor am I particularly interested. I got a couple of chuckles myself, thanks.

I'm actually quite tranquil. You don't know me. But hey, there is always room for improvement...

Has anyone here changed denominations or religions and had an uncomfortable fall out with family or friends? How did you tell them? Did your relationships change?

Is anyone here also hiding their religious beliefs not to upset family?

If you are religious how would you feel if a close friend, family member, or one of your children changed religions? How would you feel if they hid it from you to escape conflict?

SJ

I am not really a rebel in my family.

I can't imagine someone hiding their beliefs from me, that would bother me. I think part of faith is your testimony and the way you present that faith to the world. Now, I have known athiests (much) more conservative than I am so that means very different things to different people. To me, that has always been telling people I love them just the way they are. If someone presented their faith as something different than it really was, that would feel like a lie to me. It is my job to love someone just the way they are, but if I don't know who that person is then it feels disingenuous.

I don't want someone to feel like they had to play a part, I would want the real thing.

Edited by Sis

What is sausage casserole. I only buy turkey sausage, is that ok? :lol:

I don't ever say, "thinking," I always say, "praying." I believe in saying what I mean. If I mean, "pray," then that is what I say.

I don't stay up at night and pray for all the fairies to be real, anything containing chocolate to have zero calories, and that all atheists will believe in God. If I am praying for someone I do ask for their burdens to be lessened, for their hearts and bodies to heal, and that they may know comfort on the difficult road they are on. If that is relative to believing our President is the Green Lantern to some people, I don't really care.

I don't insult other people's religion and I would like mine to be treated with the same respect.

Edited by Sis