Menu

I now know what the hype about Ikea is.

We went for a desk, and also bought;a toy storage bin, apple corer, floor mat, and a very large picture of London. Oh, and 2 chocolate bars. (we were in there longer than expected, and were very hungry):lol:

:lol: I've never been to one. I'm scared.

There is a flip side. My ex and I had a grand total of 3 fights. Two of them were at Ikea.

There is a 30 Rock episode about this! And yes, DH and I almost never argue, but we had one of our most memorable fights ever at Ikea!

I took my maiden voyage 3 weeks ago. Drove 4 hours to get there. Went with my mother. It was paradise. I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have my kids. My 3 year old was having meltdowns the entire time. Yes, I know they have child care but... I don't just drop my kids off with people I don't know. But, I did manage to get all new homeschool room furniture.

We went for a desk, and also bought;a toy storage bin, apple corer, floor mat, and a very large picture of London. Oh, and 2 chocolate bars. (we were in there longer than expected, and were very hungry):lol:

Next time get the meatballs and the lignonberry jam!! Dinner at Ikea is a mandatory thing when we're there. I need energy to shop!! :D

No meatballs? It's one of the few places we can afford to go out for dinner with all our kids, LOL.

I just got the new IKEA catalog in the mail today. Yum.

That is what I was going to say. You haven't had the full experience unless you had a meal! Good and inexpensive!

My second Mother's Day (my first with all 3 kiddos), my husband took the kids and I to the Ikea that had recently opened near us. He kept a smile on his face the whole time, and he didn't say a word as I piled the cart higher and higher.

Best Mother's Day gift EVER! :D

Funny Ikea song (mild profanity, but hilarious if you're an Ikea person):

Download/info page: http://www.jonathancoulton.com/wiki/Ikea

Lyrics: http://www.jonathancoulton.com/wiki/Ikea/Lyrics

Breakfast is free at 8am on Mondays, btw. It's good, too--eggs, bacon...mmmm.

I just went to Ikea today to look at curtains. We have one about 15 minutes away. Dd and I used to go for lunch (always meatballs!) and to look around, back when she was little. It was like a field trip we made every 2 or 3 weeks! I had no qualms with giving her 20 minutes in the play area while I looked around--Ikea is the most family-friendly place I've ever been to shop!

Love IKEA. I got the email that my catalog is on its way! We have one about 45-minutes away. But since it's not exactly easy to get to and it IS a financially dangerous place, I stay away. But, I have grand plans for IKEA in the future once dh is done with grad school.

Love the meatballs, too. The food prices are great and you get full too! Such a unique place.

My husband had never been to IKEA. He took me for my birthday last month -- we made a day of it because it was a 2.5 hour drive each way. He was completely overwhelmed and said that he just hadn't fully grasped my description. He couldn't believe how huge it was! He did like it though. The kiddos all got new bedding and room decor that day. :001_smile:

I was looking for an apple core at Ikea! Is it the kind that cuts it into wedges? That was the only kind I saw, I was looking for one that just cored.

It is the kind that cuts into wedges. It has a casing around that makes it look easy to use. Our old one is getting pretty beat up, and is just made of metal.

My husband had never been to IKEA. He took me for my birthday last month -- we made a day of it because it was a 2.5 hour drive each way. He was completely overwhelmed and said that he just hadn't fully grasped my description. He couldn't believe how huge it was! He did like it though. The kiddos all got new bedding and room decor that day. :001_smile:

That is neat. I was really surprised to see a lot of men there that seemed to be having a good time.

It is the kind that cuts into wedges. It has a casing around that makes it look easy to use. Our old one is getting pretty beat up, and is just made of metal.

We have two of them I love them. I use it for peaches and pears. It works great.

We love IKEA, DD's entire bedroom is IKEA, and we're about to redo the boy's bedroom as IKEA based as well.

Was there yesterday. Still can't bring myself to eat the meatballs. But the potato/brocolli circle things were yummy. I priced out new living and family room furniture...yikes! Even at Ikea prices a new sofa, a new sleeper sofa, and two chairs (all with machine washable slip covers) is over 1,700!!!! um...not sure that is going to happen.

Recently bought little STACKABLE juice glasses - $1.49 for a package of 6! Love them. Also bought shelves for my son's room. Going back this week for more shelves. Kids eat free on Tuesdays so we'll grab dinner also. Can't wait!

My love for IKEA knows no bounds. I love it almost as much as Johnny Depp. <--That's saying something!

In Heidelberg we had one 10 minutes to the south and another 15 minutes north! Paradise! We now have one about 10 minutes north and another one about 25 minutes north. They are all over Europe. I don't know why they don't have that many stores in the US.

Whenever we're traveling and get hungry, we look for an IKEA because it's cheap and good. James Bond likes the meatballs and lingonberry sauce, but Indy prefers the schnitzel. I usually get the salmon or pasta. Yum, yum, yum! We've been to IKEA in 5 different countries (including the US). I'm not sure if that's funny or sad.

We just got back from Ikea a little bit ago! :D Dh and I needed to exchange an item.

It'll just take a few minutes, he said.

It's the only thing that will fit in our little car, he said.

We can stop by the outlets on the way back, he said.

Two hours later, with the kitchen workcenter we got from the exchange, two small tables, a new chair, and various other odds and ends...we headed home WITHOUT stopping at the outlets!

I find IKEA to be rather obnoxious to shop in because you cannot move freely around.

My kids love the tiny sinks in the bathroom.

I like Billy bookcases a lot but had a nightmare with messed up hardware on the bunk beds I bought. CHECK THE HARDWARE BEFORE LEAVING THE STORE!

I know! We went for our first time three weeks ago. It's about two hours from us.

We went to test out a couch but I didn't realize that they were in stock to take home that day. I asked the lady about how big the boxes were because we were going to rent a UHAUL trailer to take them home. I was shocked when she said, "You can take one of our vans. It's much cheaper that way." We ended up renting the trailer anyway so we wouldn't have to drive back to return the van.

We bought a couch, a loveseat, chair, pillows and pillow covers, vases, flowers, two stuffed animals and they fed our whole family for free!

By the time we got the UHAUL thing settled, we ended up spending the entire day there. I even surprised myself by letting the kids play in the play area for an hour.

I don't like the modern look but I was surprised that not everything was modern and cheaply made, like I thought. Can't wait for our next trip!

I do not NEED anything from IKEA. But, I also have nothing else planned for the day...you guys are making me want to go!

Seriously!!! I desperately want the big Expedit shelves for both girls' rooms, but we don't really have the money right now. And I know that if I go, I'll end up buying those shelves--and picture frames, and glasses, and a loveseat for the schoolroom and...:auto:

I was shocked when she said, "You can take one of our vans. It's much cheaper that way." We ended up renting the trailer anyway so we wouldn't have to drive back to return the van.

We bought a couch, a loveseat, chair, pillows and pillow covers, vases, flowers, two stuffed animals and they fed our whole family for free!

Whaaaaaaaat?!!! I don't know if our Ikea rents vans like that! They truly are merchandising geniuses.

I even surprised myself by letting the kids play in the play area for an hour.

Indy's too old now, but when he was younger he loved the play place! He didn't even care that most of the kids spoke German and his was rudimentary at best. He told me you don't have to speak the same language to have fun together. Out of the mouths of babes.

I posted this before but one time we went, we left dh sitting on a sofa while the rest of us went shopping. We came back hours later to find dh sound asleep on the sofa and yes we did buy that sofa.

:lol: I've left James Bond in the sofa section before. He didn't fall asleep, but was happy just to sit there.

We love IKEA! Our children do not! :glare: They complain we always take to long. :lol:

My kids love it--they love their hour in the play place with the ball pit, and they love climbing all over the furniture and toys in the kids bedroom zone. If I had to bring them shopping with me I think I'd leave them at home. :lol: