Menu

Runners: Friday 7/11 check in

Well! If that wasn't fun!!! :D

I ran almost the entire first mile, walked a bit, then ran almost all of the second mile, with a few stops in between. :party:

My goal for tomorrow is to just run that one mile. That's it. No further. Just run the entire thing. I'll post and let you know how it goes.

On a sad note: remember how I said there are birds and bunnies while I run? One of my running bunnies got hit by a car :( He's laying in the middle of the road almost right in front of my house. Very sad....

How was your run today?

I just did a four mile in 34 minutes!!!!!! This is my fastest time yet and very nearly my longest distance since starting running again this year!! Woohoo!!! It was so encouraging after having a very sluggish run yesterday.

WONDERFUL!!!!! Way to go!

I posted a check-in earlier; maybe we'll get merged ;)

Show off. ;) Just kidding. I am very proud of you! I need to get up off my lazy duff and do something. I have been walking a wee bit lately. That's a start, right?

Yes, it's a good start! Getting yourself out the door is the hardest part. Honest. The mindset to just get laced up and out is a HUGE part of doing this; at least for me anyway.

Once you're out there, if you'd like to add in some running, just pick a telephone pole or a car or a stop sign that's a little ways down the road and jog to it. Then walk again until you feel like running again. That's a good way to get started and see how you like it.

Or you could try the C25K or Prevention plan.

Show off. ;) Just kidding. I am very proud of you! I need to get up off my lazy duff and do something. I have been walking a wee bit lately. That's a start, right?

Yes!! It's a really good start. Now, if we can get you a good pair if running shoes, maybe you'll break into a jog every so often! Seriously - I used to run in high school and college (I was pretty good!). Since then, I've run off and on. But since having my dd, I really didn't want to start. It was just so hard to get motivated. Now, I wonder why I waited so long to do it.

There are so many people here to help keep ya' motivated. But I did wonder if maybe my first post sounded show-offy! Really, I was just SOOOO happy!!

I have done a little bit of that. My dh is doing some, which is great. I am trying to get functional in a lot of ways and don't want to overdo things. I am starting to come alive again! I have been walking with a friend a few nights a week, weather permitting. I intend to move up and do some running, but don't want to start that when it is so awful outside.

Yes!! It's a really good start. Now, if we can get you a good pair if running shoes, maybe you'll break into a jog every so often! Seriously - I used to run in high school and college (I was pretty good!). Since then, I've run off and on. But since having my dd, I really didn't want to start. It was just so hard to get motivated. Now, I wonder why I waited so long to do it.

There are so many people here to help keep ya' motivated. But I did wonder if maybe my first post sounded show-offy! Really, I was just SOOOO happy!!

NO way! It didn't sound show-offy at all. It sounded like you wanted to come here and :party: with us!!!! As well you should.

Here's my original post from earlier this morning: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41337

It's back on page 3 now. I hope they merge us :D

NO!!! Not show-off at all. I was just kidding with you. You know my smarty-pants sense of humor just goes that way. I am sorry. You should be able to speak of your accomplishments! I am thrilled for you, truly!

I have a good pair of walking shoes that I just bought but need to get inserts for before I can wear them. I am not a runner at all. Never have been. I can do well with a good walk though. I have long legs and can clip along pretty fast.

I just did a four mile in 34 minutes!!!!!! This is my fastest time yet and very nearly my longest distance since starting running again this year!! Woohoo!!! It was so encouraging after having a very sluggish run yesterday.

Jennifer, that's awesome!:D

Great job!

I am not running today. I have been subbing a lot of extra classes at the gym and my knee is sore.

NO!!! Not show-off at all. I was just kidding with you. You know my smarty-pants sense of humor just goes that way. I am sorry. You should be able to speak of your accomplishments! I am thrilled for you, truly!

I have a good pair of walking shoes that I just bought but need to get inserts for before I can wear them. I am not a runner at all. Never have been. I can do well with a good walk though. I have long legs and can clip along pretty fast.

Melissa - I KNEW that was your sense of humor - really, I did!! My concern was anyone else. I did actually wonder if I should post that or not before I did it though! No worries though!

You know - I heard that there was an article in Runners World a couple issues back (before I subscribed) about a woman who went from running to walking due to injury. Apparently, she found walking to be just as good for her as running!

Jennifer, that's awesome!:D

Great job!

I am not running today. I have been subbing a lot of extra classes at the gym and my knee is sore.

What classes do you teach? You definately got in a work out! I'm always so impressed with people who can talk while working out. I don't want to run with anyone because I definately can't talk!

Jennifer, I got chills reading your post! Are you going to do WDW marathon?

I couldn't complete the 5k in that time. Fantastic.

I have not done anything since the runs in January and February (I did the 5k in Tampa at the Gasparilla run for my husband's company.) It's just too hot in Florida right now to even step outside! I still go to the gym, but seems like EVERYTHING has landed in my middle, like I'm carrying around a barrell.

You have so encouraged me. It is no coicidence I ran across your post. I have been feeling miserably depressed about LIFE.

Is there a significance to the name 7/11? Is that a running club? Well, it was so good to "run" into you again.

I ran the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in Orlando January 07. Well, I would say, I am not a runner but I keep a pace of about 11 minute mile. So I'm kind of jogging, walking fast. I love to run, but didn't think I could ever do long distance. I like the sprints. Instant gratification. But running has become an outlet for me. My girlfriend's son has Duchene Muscular Dystrophy, so Parent Project Run for our Sons has had a group in the WDW marathon for several years. I admired my girlfriend for her endurance, she completed the marathon two years ago, and chose to run with her for the half-marathon. I have never set out to do something and complete it in my life, so this was a great victory in more ways than one. If I figure it out, I will post a picture of my victory.I ran a 5k in Tampa (where we are from) in February, and haven't hit the pavement since then. I stumbled across this thread and have found great encouragement here today. I hope to be checking in much more.

Congrats!! I did not know there was a runners thread going. I love to run and am trying to get back into it.

At this point I can only run about 7 minutes at a time... I am a treadmill runner right now. I have to be able to put the littles in child care to get my workout in! I have been running 3-4 miles a day, but it is more of a run 3-7 minutes, walk 1-2 minutes and do on.

I also use workouts from Cardiocoach.com which are AWESOME!!!

Anyway, just wanted to say keep up the good work. I hope to post that I ran a full mile without stopping soon too. I remember when running 3-4 miles without stopping was easy..... 5 children and 40 pounds later.... well... you get the picture!! Working on getting that poundage off... Let's hit the road(treadmill that is):lol:

I ran the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in Orlando January 07. Well, I would say, I am not a runner but I keep a pace of about 11 minute mile. So I'm kind of jogging, walking fast. I love to run, but didn't think I could ever do long distance. I like the sprints. Instant gratification. But running has become an outlet for me. My girlfriend's son has Duchene Muscular Dystrophy, so Parent Project Run for our Sons has had a group in the WDW marathon for several years. I admired my girlfriend for her endurance, she completed the marathon two years ago, and chose to run with her for the half-marathon. I have never set out to do something and complete it in my life, so this was a great victory in more ways than one. If I figure it out, I will post a picture of my victory.I ran a 5k in Tampa (where we are from) in February, and haven't hit the pavement since then. I stumbled across this thread and have found great encouragement here today. I hope to be checking in much more.

Hey there!!!! Remember me? I met you at Disney a couple days after the run!!! I've been running since that weekend and I'm up to 4 miles now. I think I could go further too. I'm going to run a 5K this summer and I hope to do the Detroit Marathon (in a relay) in October. I still need to find another 1/2 marathon. I wanted to do Disney, but it's the same day we leave for our cruise. Bummer.

Anyway, good to "see" you again!!

((hypermusicmom)) I'm so sorry things have been difficult. I loved meeting you at Disney and talking then. I was in a rough place when we talked and it was just what I needed then. (Remember my dh was sick for most of our trip and I was alone with four kids at the parks for four days!!) Anyway, I'm so glad my post helped you!

The name 7/11 is just the date. It changes every day! LOL

Granted, that took me forty minutes (twelve minute mile). My legs are short, but that's still slow. But I don't care that I'm so slow. That much.

I have to run on the treadmill during the week. But I did get to listen to a great lecture on Calvinism/Arminianism.

Tomorrow dh is off so I get to run outside. :party:

It started fine but as soon as I got warm, it felt like soup out there. The way back just felt faster today which is great! I'll ride my bike tomorrow. I didn't wrap shins today and they were a little sore, but nothing like they could be! I'm still slow. I'm not worried about ti though.

I ran an hour but I'm not sure the distance (I'll have to drive it later to mark out the distance). It was an extention of the route I normally take.

My kids were all occupied, it's a lovely day so I decided to extend my normal 5 km. I am not a speedy runner but I have endurance. (I have endurance but I would like to pick up the pace a bit.)

I need encouragement to add strength training and stretching to my routine. I just never fit it in.

Off to shower.

Ah, how I envy you natural runners! Took me more than two years of consistent running to achieve a 8:30/mile pace. But it's not about the time, right?;) Good job!:)

I ran almost the entire first mile, walked a bit, then ran almost all of the second mile, with a few stops in between.

You're doin' great, girlfriend. Keep it up!

How was your run today?

I discovered something today. I should under no circumstances attempt even a duathlon, much less a triathlon. I've mentioned I'm a terrible swimmer, so a tri isn't really on my radar. There's a local duathlon I've thought about, though. I think it's run 3 miles, bike 15, and run 3. It's coming up in a couple of weeks and just last night I thought, "Maybe I should give that a try."

Um, no. I shouldn't. I enjoy biking on my hybrid, but I'm not fast and I get tired quickly. I actually feel less tired after running ten miles than I do after biking the same distance; go figure. Any-hoo, this morning Jan (oldest son) and I biked about 4 miles to go do an errand. After the errand was done, we went for a 3 mile run. This is after a measly 4 mile bike ride, mind you. My legs were like Jello! I felt totally exhausted. And now that I've biked home, I'm thinking about the 7 mile race we're doing tomorrow morning and kinda regretting this bike/run thing I did today. Sorta pathetic.

I'm so excited for tomorrow's race, though; the course is just lovely and it's going to be beautiful out. I'll try to take some pics and put one or two on my blog.:)

Ah, how I envy you natural runners! Took me more than two years of consistent running to achieve a 8:30/mile pace. But it's not about the time, right?;) Good job!:)

Colleen, I can only dream of an 8:30/mile pace right now. It's taking me 30 minutes to go 2 miles (with some walking). What I'm looking for is endurance. I'll be going along just fine and BLAMO! I just start walking!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

I figure I need to really talk to myself and push myself. HARD! ;)

I need encouragement to add strength training and stretching to my routine. I just never fit it in.

Yep, that's me. It's downright silly that I run so often yet feel tired when I do many other activities. And of course the reason is because I concentrate so much energy just on running. I bike recreationally, too, but I don't specifically do any strength training or cross-training. My excuse is, well, that I just don'wanna do it.:tongue_smilie:

Colleen, I can only dream of an 8:30/mile pace right now. It's taking me 30 minutes to go 2 miles (with some walking). What I'm looking for is endurance.

Well, dear, when you consider how long I've been working at this, don't feel bad.:tongue_smilie: I get so hung up on times, but I know I shouldn't. Heck, I know a lot of people who can run marathons but never run a "fast" pace, even in short-distance races. They have the endurance, though!