Menu

Analytical grammar

mom22722

My almost 12yo did Season 1 last summer and Season 2 this summer. My 9yocompleted Season 1 this summer. They read the lessons and did the exercises completely by themselves except for a few questions here and there. I would check their work and go over anything that they needed help with. The only exception to this was the Chapter on Adverbs in Season 1 for my 9yo. I did sit with her and did all of the first day of exercises with her. After that she was able to continue on her own.

I love AG! It's so thorough, and my girls have learned so much!

It's not too teacher intensive. My son did it over 7th/8th. My plan was to go over the lesson with him each Monday and then have him work the lesson throughtout the week. As we got further into the year, reality was that he mostly read the lesson himself and did the work. I did look over his work, and to be honest, by half-way through the program, the diagramming was really intense, and I didn't have much clue as to what I was looking at. Thankful for the TM with answers. But yes, a student could do it on their own.

Dd13 (7th) is using this. I spend maybe 5-10 minutes a day, 5 days a week. First day is to go over the lesson (10 minutes), subsequent days are just checking work (5 minutes). I do spend some extra time during composition asking her to point out things in her writing that she learned in grammar that week, but we're talking maybe 20 minutes for the whole week.