Menu

I need help plz with specific ways to help 9 yr old boy focus/retain during school.

I know it is probably a common problem! But it is affecting his work, etc., and he WANTS to be able to focus more but it has become a habit to tune out. He has no attention problems or learning disabilities.

For example, when I am reading to him, he will just tune out and then I have to repeat it again. He is not good with details-like I can read a Story of the World chapter and he has the main idea but not tons of details-sometimes he doesn't even remember the name of the main person the story was about! (Granted, they are sometimes hard names, but he will often say "The king blah,blah, blah..." instead of "King Richard" even though I said King Richard 10 times in the story, he won't remember the name even when prompted to give it.)

Of course, he can tell you the price and details of every item in the Lego catalog though :)

One thing I am doing is having him narrate. We're doing 50 Famous Stories Retold and I read a paragraph at a time and have him narrate back. This seems to help.

When he knows he needs to narrate he will listen, but when I am reading an easy paragraph from the Bible during family time and stop and ask him out of the blue, now, what do you think "authority" means? (they had just used the word three times in the sentences.) He will say, what, I wasn't listening. He had tuned out on the last few sentences!

I thought maybe he was more visual and having trouble with auditory retaining, but the visual (reading something himself) is just so-so too. And he does need to be able to learn from auditory-like in co-op, stuff just goes over his head. If he is not interested, he just tunes it out. If he is interested, he retains. Like if it's an interesting part that he likes in Story of the World, he can tell all about that.

Generally, he is just not very interested in schoolwork-wants to get it over with and go play. Starting 4th grade now though, he does need to be able to focus more-retain spelling words, and so on. He has NO trouble with math-it's more the verbal stuff.

Basically it's almost more of an interest problem too-no idea how to deal with that!

What else is specific like the narration that I can do to help him focus, retain information, listen for details, etc?

xpost

No one in my house can focus on what someone is reading to us. :D I have always had to let the kids (when they were younger) do something with their hands while we read directions, lessons, books, etc. I would imagine you would lose me after about 5 seconds of reading directions and I am 43! I am sure we all have ADHD, it is cool, it is serving us well. :D Maybe let him use all those legos while you read?

Yes, he does color when we do some after lunch readalouds and it helps some. But it's not always practical! He does need to be able to focus w/out that too, like when I'm reading the directions for his grammar work, etc.

My dd chews gum, squeezes her thinking putty or sits on an exercise ball during school. When we are reading out loud, she can do what she needs to be able to concentrate. She and my younger son are simpky not able to concentrate if they don't have something to do with their hands or something to allow the wiggles.

I've found that despite my son appearing not to pay attention, and giving me blank looks when I ask what I just read, he has retained much more than I thought possible. It comes out in play and conversations.

I worried about it at 9, too, but I see it 12, it's coming together.

Both my boys concentrate better when allowed to roam freely, or hang upside down off the couch, or stand on one foot, etc. when they're listening to a SOTW chapter or read aloud chapter. Sometimes we listen to the chapter, go through the questions in the AG, then listen to the chapter again if they haven't retained many details.

M 9 yo son has high functioning autism and definetely benefits from some movement. We also have a sensory aid that works well- its a bumpy little seat called a sit disk. Love it.

Another thing I do now for the subjects he was mos prone to get distracted during is do those with him at the public library. The culture of expected quiet, the promise of a new book to check out and the change of scenery really helps.

Plus I agree with the exercise thing. We do 1-2 hours of physical activity in the AM and then he gets a bike/play outside break in the afternoon and 30 minutes of yoga most days. The physical activity in the AM is something like a family bike ride, running (with 3yo mostly riding in stroller), soccer or scooter riding. Bonus- I get a few miles or more of extra moderate cardio exercise everyday.)

Edited by kijipt

he is definitely not high energy, i wouldn't say.

if he did even 1/2 hr of physical activity in the a.m., he'd be too tired to do schoolwork! (we have tried a.m. walks and he is then crabby/tired during school)

so it's not really a wiggly boy problem.

i will get the putty too, good idea

exercise isn't for the wiggles; it's for clearing the cobwebs and focusing the mind. am walk = crabby/tired and 30 min exercise worn out for the day is a concern; I'd be checking with the ped and looking carefully at the protein/fat/carb ratio in the morning meal. If there is nothing physical going on, consider planning P.E. and recess in and get him up to an average level of fitness.

I totally agree. A sedentary lifestyle is not good for the mind or body. Exercise should be tiring in the moment but generally I find that just like with me, exercise for my son means more energy throughout the day. Too little physical activity could be contributing to attention and focus issues. I would be concerned if walking for a short time exhausted my son, barring some sort of known physical limitation.

And look at diet for sure- my son will always do better on a protein and fruit breakfast than on carbs alone. something like 1/2 a bagel with cream cheese and salmon plus fruit or an egg and a yogurt cup plus fruit keeps him going way longer than a bowl of cereal or a pastry. Skipping breakfast is a no-go for attention as well.

exercise isn't for the wiggles; it's for clearing the cobwebs and focusing the mind. am walk = crabby/tired and 30 min exercise worn out for the day is a concern; I'd be checking with the ped and looking carefully at the protein/fat/carb ratio in the morning meal. If there is nothing physical going on, consider planning P.E. and recess in and get him up to an average level of fitness.

:iagree: my dd isn't hyperactive at all- quite the opposite. But, a brief period (even 15 minutes) of exercise really gets her brain going. Even having her take the trash out seems to wake her up.

Ditto on gum chewing and exercise balls!

4th graders can take notes...simple concept maps or just key words.

How much sweaty exercise is he getting daily?

:iagree::iagree: BTW, this sounds just like my fellow. He has good days and bad days, and I adjust what we are doing to match this. It is one of the reasons I homeschool.

I have found my students retain much less of what I say than what they do. Isn't there a famous saying along those lines? I'll go look for it. Anyways, if I want my kids to remember something, I make sure they write it down.

Okay, I found this, which isn't EXACTLY what I heard before, but gets the main idea across. And for the record, the one time I helped a friend study for a test I didn't care about because I was changing schools I aced it!

We learn… 10 percent of what we read, 20 percent of what we hear, 30 percent of what we see, 50 percent of what we see and hear, 70 percent of what we discuss with others, 80 percent of what we experience, and 95 percent of what we teach to someone.

Edited by renmew

he is definitely not high energy, i wouldn't say.

if he did even 1/2 hr of physical activity in the a.m., he'd be too tired to do schoolwork! (we have tried a.m. walks and he is then crabby/tired during school)

so it's not really a wiggly boy problem.

i will get the putty too, good idea

I would honestly be far more concerned about this than the original problem, and it would move to the #1 spot on my priority list. He needs to be exercising every single day. You can do school first & PE in the afternoon.

I'd make sure he was eating a fairly healthy diet, maybe add a multivitamin, and I'd expect a pretty quick improvement in stamina (weeks, not months). If I didn't see that, I would be at the doctor's office for help in ruling out a medical issue.

I would honestly be far more concerned about this than the original problem, and it would move to the #1 spot on my priority list. He needs to be exercising every single day.

:iagree: If running about and getting sweaty isn't what he does in his spare time, what does he do? Screen time? If this is the case, you could improve stamina and concentration by tapering that down and activity up.

My ds9 is just like this. He does get outside time each day but he is in ps intstead of hs so I can't control how much time he gets outside or let him play with anything. Hope you figure it out soon. I'm going to try some of these ideas when afterschooling.

:iagree: If running about and getting sweaty isn't what he does in his spare time, what does he do? Screen time?

no, there is no screen time-occasional video (like every few days or less, for about 1/2 hr, maybe a movie on the wkend) No computer, no video games.

He is outside right now popping water balloons on his head :)

He is very active all day in summer and also always after school-mainly outside or at soccer or whatever. (although less in winter)

I don't know why the walks in the morn seem to tire him-he is fine all the other times with regular or even strenuous activity.

The other day he rowed a kayak at least 2 miles and helped row a canoe another 2 miles and swam all day and was only mildly tired for bed.

Maybe it is the food-he will usually have oatmeal or other cereal for breakfast; I'll try to add protein. We are all organic, no processed foods, but maybe he needs more protein in the morning, good idea.

I do notice a difference w/ the morning walks making him crabby-no idea why that would be but I don't think it's medical since he's ok all the other times w/ tons of activity. Maybe it's just harder for him to settle down to work and he would rather still be doing the activity!

I had cross-posted this to the K-8 board and Lori D. gave some great ideas there too, if anyone needs them!

Edited by HappyGrace

We learn… 10 percent of what we read, 20 percent of what we hear, 30 percent of what we see, 50 percent of what we see and hear, 70 percent of what we discuss with others, 80 percent of what we experience, and 95 percent of what we teach to someone.

Love this, thanks!

He is very active all day in summer and also always after school-mainly outside or at soccer or whatever. (although less in winter)

Whew. I hs in the afternoon after kiddo has had at least 3 hours of activity. When I do do a morning stint, I make it short, before a field trip, and do more "fun" stuff in the evening.

You could also try asking specific questions BEFORE reading a selection and having him practice listening for that one piece of information.

Another idea is to teach him to take notes or write key words down as he listens. Graphic organizers would be great to use this way--you could google these if you're not familiar with the concept. I've purchased ebooks through scholastic that have different forms that students can fill out info from reading different types of texts.