Menu

Is there etiquette for this neighbor situation?

What time do you think festivities should be taken inside?  

1. 1. What time do you think festivities should be taken inside?

• 11 p.m.
    • Midnight
    • 1 a.m.
    • 2 a.m.
    • 3 a.m.
    • Other

the people who say 10 pm or earlier. I live in a trailer park though and here it would be very rude to be outside making noise after 10. There are a lot of older people who go to bed early as well as people with very young children.

That level of noise once every two months wouldn't even blip on my bad neighbor radar. Yes, it would bother me personally and keep me awake, but I can't blame them for being a light sleeper, kwim? Plus, sound is weird - our tv sounds louder in a room way down the hall than it does in the living room, so their talking is possibly louder to you in your room that it would be if you were sitting on their patio.

I'd just look for ways to make it easier for me to sleep through it. Simple stuff, like white noise, ear plugs, sleeping in a different room, and Tylenol PM :D.

And more involved stuff, like improving the sound proofing on that side of the house. It doesn't have to be THAT involved - sound proofing a window might mean changing it or adding a special pad you can buy, or it might just mean tacking up some blankets on party night. Sound coming through clearly from outside usually means you have either crap windows or crap insulation, both of which should be addressed for lots of other reasons.

Try to block sound from the outside as well. Cover the window with a tarp hanging from the roof, lean a moveable trellis or piece of wood against it, add shutters, etc.

We have had some awful neighbors in the past - when we have decent ones, we are happy to put forth effort even if we have the 'right' to request they change their ways.

A lot of people here have to hole up during summer days, so if you want to spend time outside, evening/nighttime is the time to do it. I think I'd invest in a fan (for the white noise) or some other way to insulate myself from the noise outdoors and let them enjoy their patio.

Our neighbors used to have pool parties till midnight. What I don't think they realized is that conversations around swimming pools really carry. DH and I would lay in bed and be able to hear the details of every conversation. Too bad they weren't very interesting conversations. However, I think for general purposes, loud parties should be cut off around 10:00-11:00.

Oh, yeah, it doesn't blip on my bad neighbor radar. We just have never lived so close to anyone before. I already take a sleep aid and it will help me stay asleep, but if I get woken up forget it. I'm up for at least an hour or more.

The windows are fine, it's the walls. Insulation is on the to do list, but not for a long while.

Houses here are close together- one side is about 15 feet and the other side is the width of the shared driveway.

It just doesn't bother us as long as it's not boisterous, rowdy noise.

When our kids were younger, we'd have friends over for skygazing- kids and adults- and it often went until midnight, several times a summer and a few times during winter. Never occurred to me that our sounds might be bothering someone. We weren't being wild, but we weren't whispering, either.

I wonder if much of it depends on what kind of sleeper you are- we aren't really light sleepers and even if we do wake up, we can get back to sleep fairly soon. Night storms around here can be violent- and yet as soon as they pass we're all sound asleep again.

That level of noise once every two months wouldn't even blip on my bad neighbor radar. Yes, it would bother me personally and keep me awake, but I can't blame them for being a light sleeper, kwim? Plus, sound is weird - our tv sounds louder in a room way down the hall than it does in the living room, so their talking is possibly louder to you in your room that it would be if you were sitting on their patio.

I'd just look for ways to make it easier for me to sleep through it. Simple stuff, like white noise, ear plugs, sleeping in a different room, and Tylenol PM :D.

And more involved stuff, like improving the sound proofing on that side of the house. It doesn't have to be THAT involved - sound proofing a window might mean changing it or adding a special pad you can buy, or it might just mean tacking up some blankets on party night. Sound coming through clearly from outside usually means you have either crap windows or crap insulation, both of which should be addressed for lots of other reasons.

Try to block sound from the outside as well. Cover the window with a tarp hanging from the roof, lean a movable trellis or piece of wood against it, add shutters, etc.

We have had some awful neighbors in the past - when we have decent ones, we are happy to put forth effort even if we have the 'right' to request they change their ways.

Even when our house was brand new (nice windows, and certainly fully insulated) we still heard our neighbors clearly in our house. It has to do with the way our house sits on our lot. We have one solid exterior wall, with no windows, that is angled so that the sound waves come down the road and hit is just right (actually they hit it just wrong!). Bass sounds make our house feel like the inside of a drum. :glare: