Menu

Head Covering questions!

Where did you get your head coverings and can you link up a video/instructions on how you tie/wear yours?

I am new to head covering and I tried a scarf from walmart but i look like a cancer patient and I really want a snood, but they are expensive! I cant knit or crochet and I did try sewing one but it was way too tight!

We're of the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition and many women in parishes cover. The easiest and most comfortable and don't-worry-about-it style that I've found is just getting a 32-36 inch square piece of material, fold it in half bandana style and tie it under your chin. Second easiest: Get a long rectangular piece of material (my favorite one was actually a sarong, LOL), center it on your head and flip both ends over opposite shoulders.

Other ideas:

Mommaduck (from here) makes and sells head coverings. I just ordered one.

Tznius has some great coverings and instructions on different ways to tie and wear them.

I just got two from Mommaduck..... I love them! :001_wub:

(and I just got them for wear-around, as they are so pretty. I feel too shy to wear them to church, though there is no reason why I should feel that way. I guess I am worried about drawing attention to myself, which presupposes that someone even notices what I am wearing or doing in church! There's your vanity right there! :D)

I am intrigued by Mommaduck. :)

But I get all mine at Garlands of Grace. They range from practical to really lovely. I think they are pretty amazing. And they have several different styles so you can poke around and see what works best for you.

I saw them, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lace Snood she has! I wish i could make something like that, but I dont know how to gather fabric like that and mine would never turn out as pretty as GOG.

Some of those Garlands of Grace ones look like they are only a headband. Is that considered covering? ( I honestly don't know, not being snarky.)

I have no idea! To me, if it's just something holding the hair back, and is more like a hair accessory, I wouldn't consider myself covered in the religious sense of the word, I guess. I have a triangle one I tie under my chin (or behind my neck) for church, and then I'll take it off, roll it up, and tie it around my hair headband style to hold my hair back after church. I wouldn't wear it this way, and consider myself "covered" for church.

I feel blessed!! I CANT wait!!!!!!!! Especially on the lace one Mommaduck is making!! Im wearing that one specifically for church.

Ill have about 7 Snoods, they are addicting! :lol:

and on the headband, no I wouldnt think its considered head covering, but then again there isnt a clear definition for the covering itself. ~~For me, I am choosing something to cover most of my hair in plain colors because its for person/religious reasons and It is not to draw more attention to myself (sorry no hot pink Snood here, lol). Thats why i chose brown lace for church because I want something that is covering but blends with my hair- I am wearing it for prayer, not a fashion statement. :)

Goodness, I just found this thread! You all just made my evening :001_wub:

To the person that mentioned the headband types on the GoG website (the ones that are called Fan-Styled Headbands or Fan-Bands): I make them in varying lengths. As a general rule, I make them longer than most seamstresses make them, so that they are what is considered church or monastery appropriate. I can make them shorter or more like a kerchief, as some (particularly teens...ask my daughters ;)) prefer less of a "covered" look. But they are great for not looking like as much like a religious covering as other covering styles do.

I'm very much custom. If there is a preference for colour, fabric, style, or extras, I'm more than willing to work with my clients. I actually love shopping and have swaps pictures of fabric online (both what has been found online and what I've found locally...or what is in my stock ;) ) to find the right match.

I've also had several cotton slip orders lately.

Edited by mommaduck

Goodness, I just found this thread! You all just made my evening :001_wub:

To the person that mentioned the headband types on the GoG website (the ones that are called Fan-Styled Headbands or Fan-Bands): I make them in varying lengths. As a general rule, I make them longer than most seamstresses make them, so that they are what is considered church or monastery appropriate. I can make them shorter or more like a kerchief, as some (particularly teens...ask my daughters ;)) prefer less of a "covered" look. But they are great for not looking like as much like a religious covering as other covering styles do.

I'm very much custom. If there is a preference for colour, fabric, style, or extras, I'm more than willing to work with my clients. I actually love shopping and have swaps pictures of fabric online (both what has been found online and what I've found locally...or what is in my stock ;) ) to find the right match.

I've also had several cotton slip orders lately.

Do you have site for your items?

Do you have site for your items?

Right now, most of my business is going through my Facebook Business Page for Mommaduck's Boutique.

I do have an Etsy shop, but due to the amount of custom orders, the shop is empty at the moment. I do have some Eritrean coverings stocked over on the FB page and if there is something you are looking for, please just let me know. :001_smile:

Oh and the garlands of grace has the full range from headbands to full coverings. I love the middle of the road ones so I can be more discreet since nobody at my church wears them. Mine could be ruched up more like a headband or let out and it fully covers the top of my head.I can't wait to get some cute headband-types for my baby girl :)

I almost bought that one (sorry, but who can pass up $2, even with the S&H?). It was cute, too! The only thing that stopped me was that they didn't take paypal. :001_smile:

It was a good deal. :)

Oh and the garlands of grace has the full range from headbands to full coverings. I love the middle of the road ones so I can be more discreet since nobody at my church wears them. Mine could be ruched up more like a headband or let out and it fully covers the top of my head.I can't wait to get some cute headband-types for my baby girl :)

No one at my church covers either. We can be trend setters. :D

My 2 crocheted Snoods from Plain N Simple will be here tomorrow!!!!!

Then my Doubleheader covering is expected to be here Wednesday (i dont think it would be here tomorrow, but maybe?)

Then in 2 weeks, my order from Mommaduck will be here! My oh my!

Thanks for everyone and your help! :001_wub::001_wub:

they came!!! All 3 came and OH MY WORD! Why didnt i do this before! Someone even commented on my snood!

I wore a blue crocheted one to VBS tonight and someone said " I like your snood. " (she was older too, so maybe thats why?)

PICS of the 3 I have.

Light blue:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/babyale06/SAM_0629.jpg

dark blue:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/babyale06/SAM_0633.jpg

Paisley: (i tucked the tie ends into the back of it)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/babyale06/SAM_0634.jpg

ETA: When wearing a crocheted snood, wear your hair DOWN. No wonder it looked wrong when i wore it to VBS! I looked on youtube and apparently for the crocheted ones you should "fill the snood loosely with your hair" oops. :blush:

Edited by Jpoy85