Menu

s/o knocking on the door

A few days ago some missionaries came down our street-- I think they were Mormons but of course I can not be sure, since as you will see, I did not get to speak with them. I was starting down toward our front door, getting ready to talk to them, but they hesitated in front of our house, thought about it, looked our house over, and then skipped us!

Why??? I am not about to switch religions, but I do like chatting with them and I feel hurt that our house was not found worthy of a knock! Any thoughts?

(PS I was not all that grubby!)

That's funny. Mormon missionaries have never come to my house, and when I was in college, they demurely looked the other way when they saw me coming but would talk to everyone else. I have no idea why. I don't think there are many Mormons around here, although I did visit their genealogy center once, where the ladies who ran it were exceedingly helpful.

JWs, when they come (less than once a year) tend to visit everyone's house. I can see them moving down the street.

If they were Mormon, they might have been looking for a specific house. They aren't always out knocking on every door. I'd actually say *most* times, in many U.S. places, they are actually following up with referrals. They also have specific address where people have asked them not to come back, etc.

I can call them for you if you'd like. ;)

Impossible to know their reasons since I'm not inside their heads, but it is certainly possible they were looking for a particular house. Alternatively, if you have spoken with them (or previous missionaries) in the area before and expressed that you are not interested in their message they may not knock because they try to spend their time finding and teaching people who are interested.

No, no sign, no dog, no sunflowers, and we just moved in so there's no record of me chatting with their predecessors! :001_smile: Perhaps the previous owners though-- they were motorcyclists and went to a Biker church.:001_smile:

Perhaps they were just looking for a different house-- I didn't think of that.:001_smile:

Do you have an icon out front? Wonder if the LDS church is iconoclastic. That's all I can think of!

Nope, not iconoclastic at all. In fact, LDS missionaries often put a picture of Christ (not an icon, but a print of a tasteful painting of the Savior) in the window of their apartment.

No, no sign, no dog, no sunflowers, and we just moved in so there's no record of me chatting with their predecessors! :001_smile: Perhaps the previous owners though-- they were motorcyclists and went to a Biker church.:001_smile:

That may very well be it--they don't know there are new residents, and LDS missionaries shift around frequently. So if the previous residents told them not to come back, all these two would know is that there's a note about that address.

You could always open the door and flag them down, they like that! :)

You can tell they are LDS missionaries by their name tags--each one will have a black rectangle tag pinned to their shirt or coat. So if you didn't see that, they probably weren't LDS.