Menu

Warning about Straightalk

I was once a Straighttalk phone member but not anymore. When, I went on a 3 week vacation with family and friends, i used the 3G a bit. It totalled 2.3 GBs of Data. That is not too excessive. 4 days ago, I got a text from Straightalk saying that i used too much data and that why service was TERMINATED!!!!! Really? On their website they say: Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web. I researched this and found people complaining about it on Androidforums, and Howardforums.com. Just a quick word of advice to any future straightalk members, IT is Not Unlimited and that you can be booted off.

Oh my! That is awful. Why don't they just SAY 2Gb is their limit? I would be fine with that rather than to be terminated!

Are there any other unlimited plans that are more reliable and truly allow unlimited (even if they slow it down after a certain amount?) and won't let you go?

Edited by DawnM

Yes, that is their policy. But most plans that say unlimited have a 2gb maximum. If you are doing normal web browsing (shopping on Amazon, checking email, looking things up on Google, etc.) then you shouldn't have a problem. But if you're spending hours online, tethering your phone to your laptop, etc. That sucks up a lot of data really quick. I just try to use my phone to check my bank account balance, check emails, etc. Also, get one of those 3g watchdog programs on your phone. It helps tons to let you see how much you're using. There are people out there that are data hogs, and this is why they cap the limit at 2 gigs. It's actually quite a lot for a month for the average phone user. They terminated me once as well and I was fuming! But after looking into how much data I was using, it was eye opening.

Yup! I switched to Straight Talk from Verizon & will be saving $50/mo. 3g watchdog will shut off data at a preset limit to prevent going over.

Thanks for posting about this app. I told my friend who just signed up about it. Hopefully it will help keep her from getting the boot!

I'm on my phone a lot. Like all the time. Granted, this is my first month with ST, but I'm at the halfway mark and I have used 311MB of data. Two things will really help with your data usage: download any 3g monitoring app like 3g Watchdog and download a data-limiting browser like Opera Mini. ST can be a very good choice if you go into it with your eyes wide open, fully aware of what you are and aren't getting for $45/month.

Strait talk doesn't have an "unwritten" limit on phone calls do they?

I use less than 1GB of data on a typical month (because there is so much wifi around), and I text about 500 texts per month on average.....but I can sure talk! I use between 2,000-3,000 min. in an average month.

I am switching to ST in a couple of weeks.

They do, but I do not know what it is. I talk less than 500 minutes/month. (I *think* it might be around 3000mins/month, but I have no idea for real. I do know they're way more flexible about your minute usage than they are your data usage.)

Edited by dansamy