Menu

Sams Club vs Walmart Comparison

Sams is offering an Open House this weekend and we have been debating on a membership, so we decided to go and price check.

Things wed buy:

Trashbags 150ct $10

Dog Chow 50lbs $25 (x2) - we have 4 dogs, they eat a lot

Meow Mix 18.5lb $10

Tidy Cats Litter 50lbs $8

Popcorn 50lbs $21 - we could cut this, but we <3 popcorn

Things that were the same price essentially as Walmart:

Toilet Paper 36ct

Pork Chops

Things that Walmart had CHEAPER than Sams:

Pull Ups 72ct

Paper Towels 12 rolls

Ground Chuck

Membership is $40. The savings over a year would make it worth it. BUT I dont know if 4-5 things a month make the trip + money worth it. We would NOT buy any food, it would just be household/pet. Anywho, just thought id post this so others can see that sometimes its worth it for a membership and sometimes its not. Im still leaning on the fence about it. :D

I know I compared the toilet paper at one time and it looked like they were the same. The strange thing was that the "double roll" at Walmart, at the time I compared, was smaller than the "double roll" at Sams (exact same brand) by quite a number of sheets. So when I compared "sheet for sheet" (LOL :) it was cheaper at Sams.

Now I don't know how I really noticed that! They say on the outside exactly how many sheets there are in a package.

Sams is really worth it for us because there are many items we buy there that are 30-50% cheaper. But it is an hour away! So we try to go there only on combined shopping trips. It also helps that my kids consider Sam's Club "eating out." :)

I know I compared the toilet paper at one time and it looked like they were the same. The strange thing was that the "double roll" at Walmart, at the time I compared, was smaller than the "double roll" at Sams (exact same brand) by quite a number of sheets. So when I compared "sheet for sheet" (LOL :) it was cheaper at Sams.

Now I don't know how I really noticed that! They say on the outside exactly how many sheets there are in a package.

I noticed this too! I didnt compare that closely, but I did notice the "Double Roll" thing.

Sams is really worth it for us because there are many items we buy there that are 30-50% cheaper. But it is an hour away! So we try to go there only on combined shopping trips. It also helps that my kids consider Sam's Club "eating out." :)

I cant seem to leave Sams without a Pretzel and pop. YUM!

I like Sams for the things that I can't get anywhere else. Cleaner for the carpet steamer ($7), rotisserie chicken ($5), gallon jar of mayo ($9), gallon size tea bags, styrofoam cups (terrible I know but I don't want to spend my life washing cups) and more I can't think of right now. I've also bought pool chemicals and baby clothes in there.

The gas for our cars alone more than pays for our Sam's membership. In our area the produce at Sam's is so much fresher and better than Wal-Marts and as someone else mentioned the kids love eating out there. They really do make good pizza.

• 6 months later...

I love the Members Mark toilet paper at Sam's. It's so much better than name brand Charmin! I also like the Members Mark paper towels, though name brand is fine there.

I'm surprised the beef was cheaper at Wal-Mart. I usually get 90% ground beef at Sam's cheaper than 80% at Wal-Mart or other grocery stores.

I like getting the big tub of lettuce. That's cheap.

I don't know any laundry detergent. I get Country Save on Amazon.

My DH has to put 93 octane gas in his car (due to mods), and he saves money using their gas.

Don't forget, you can go to sams club.com and check the prices at your local club. The place where we save the most money is on health care items. Buying one package of members mark brand Claritin saved us almost 35 dollars compared to buying the same amount of the Walmart brand. I save a lot of money on cheese, butter, milk, frozen chicken, and ground turkey compared to Walmart or other grocery stores. I buy the large Eco brand detergent at sams too.