Menu

The *best* movie I've seen in a long time...

is this something that junior high kids could/should watch?

Dh & I enjoyed it so much that we took our dc to see it tonight. (Our dc are 14 & 11yo.) On the way home, 11yo said that it should win the Oscar for Best Foreign Film. Both dc really enjoyed it -- found it funny & touching.

There is some bad language in it, as well as some sexual innuendo. Imo, that's not a problem, esp. in context of the film. Ymmv. The movie is rated R here in the US; don't know what rating it was given in other places. (It's originally a French movie.) Imdb.com gives some specifics as to why it's rated R.

Dh & I enjoyed it so much that we took our dc to see it tonight. (Our dc are 14 & 11yo.) On the way home, 11yo said that it should win the Oscar for Best Foreign Film. Both dc really enjoyed it -- found it funny & touching.

There is some bad language in it, as well as some sexual innuendo. Imo, that's not a problem, esp. in context of the film. Ymmv. The movie is rated R here in the US; don't know what rating it was given in other places. (It's originally a French movie.) Imdb.com gives some specifics as to why it's rated R.

Switzerland's rating system can be pretty strict for kids and they rated it legal age 10 (which means a child with parent can go see from age 8, and from age 10 otherwise). It's so weird when foreign movies that are PG-13 material at the most are rated R. I think it must be the language. My son hasn't watched any American films with an R rating, but he has watched a couple of R-rated French ones because they were simply not R material and I have no idea why they were rated as such.

On a French movie site for parents it says Intouchables is good for 9+. ETA:I haven't seen it yet, but 9 is probably a bit on the young side--French standards are a bit different--not lower, just different.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

Switzerland's rating system can be pretty strict for kids and they rated it legal age 10 (which means a child with parent can go see from age 8, and from age 10 otherwise). It's so weird when foreign movies that are PG-13 material at the most are rated R. I think it must be the language. My son hasn't watched any American films with an R rating, but he has watched a couple of R-rated French ones because they were simply not R material and I have no idea why they were rated as such.

On a French movie site for parents it says Les Intouchables is good for 9+.

Thanks for explaining that!

I find it ironic that this movie is an R (as well as The King's Speech being R), while movies like the latest Batman one (scary, violent) & others like it are only PG-13. Personally, I find violence/creepy/scary things more worthy of an R-rating vs. sexual innuendo &/or bad language. I'm guessing this movie got an R here because of the times the F-word was used in the movie (& put in the subtitles :lol:).

Edited by Stacia

Thanks for explaining that!

I find it ironic that this movie is an R (as well as The King's Speech being R), while movies like the latest Batman one (scary, violent) & others like it are only PG-13. Personally, I find violence/creepy/scary things more worthy of an R-rating vs. sexual innuendo &/or bad language. I'm guessing this movie got an R here because of the times the F-word was used in the movie (& put in the subtitles :lol:).

I just looked up the legal age in Switzerland for The Dark Knight Rises and it's 14 (compared to age 10 for Intouchables)

Maybe I'm Swiss at heart? ;) (Or maybe that's why I married a European guy? :D)

:D Well, let's see, do you like chocolate and cheese? If you also like mountains and cows, you're in. Actually I have known a couple of expats in Switzerland who didn't like cheese. It was very sad.

I picked out Switzerland in particular though because I know the ratings there are stricter than in France and often stricter than here in the U.S. For example, movies like Tangled and Brave had a legal age of 7 (5 accompanied by adult) and some theaters will enforce that. We were turned away from the second Narnia movie when my son was 7 because it was legal age 10 so he had to be at least 8 to see it with me. :glare:

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine