Menu

intro to poetry writing

workingmom

So we've pretty much slacked on poetry. I've covered all other types of writing. Can someone recommend a good resource for introducing kids to poetry that would work for both a 3rd and 6th grader.

They have done some informal poetry and made up songs but I haven't formally covered it.

Suggestions?

I've been reading Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry by Jack Prelutsky. It's delicious. It does not have formal poetry writing lessons, and won't cover things like meter. It will endear poetry to your kids, and give them many things to write about. It only has twenty lessons, so it leaves plenty of room in the school year to do more.

I'm going to start my younger two on this next month. I have a precocious 2nd grade girl who adores poetry, and a 4th grade boy who thinks it's mostly okay. I'm hoping it hooks the 4th grader interest, and I know the 2nd grader will enjoy it. After this I think we're moving onto one of the Koch books a previous poster mentioned. There's also a couple Evan-Moor books that sound good: Writing Poetry with Children, and Poetry Patterns and Themes.

If the 6th grader is on the more serious, mature side of life he'd probably consider Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry too juvenile. A 6th grader that can still giggle about a kid finger painting his dad's underwear will do fine.