Menu

If your stomach hurts "all" the time

and by all the time, I mean 5 days out of 7, what foods do you eliminate to see what the problem might be? I cut out most dairy a few years ago; it still sneaks in there now and again but nothing flagrant. So far this week Thursday was the only day my stomach didn't hurt. Gassy, bloated feeling (sorry for the tmi). It's not that I can't function, I do. It's just this not feeling so great most of the time. It makes me feel uncomfortable and grumpy. Any suggestions?

gluten? (should that be what you are sensitive to, you would have to eliminate all gluten, and wait for your body to excrete it before you would notice improvement. you also need to find hidden "food starch" on labels.)

or liver/gallbladder

Another option would be to narrow your diet down to a very, very few foods for a few days, and see how you feel. Brown rice, chicken, perhaps a vegetable you tolerate well, bananas maybe - whatever you think might do the trick. Then start adding in things one at a time, and see how it goes. Keep a food diary, and see if you notice patterns/triggers.

It wouldn't hurt to see a doc, if you've been feeling this way for a while.

My issues are wheat and corn. I also have weird food allergies with sensitivity to onion and potatoes. (two things I really love)

Would help to know what you do eat and then try process of elimination. Keep a food diary. Also may want to consider allergy testing.

First I would try a full week on a diet of vegetables, rice, potatoes, perhaps eggs, and simply cooked meats and poultry - no dairy, no gluten, no corn, limited fruit, no coffee, no sugar. Take probiotics. If this diet helps you to feel better, add foods you removed back in one at a time, spaced four days apart, and see what food starts the problems up again.

If the elimination diet helps a little in a week but not a lot, I would stay on it for three more weeks and see if it helps more with more time. But if it does not help you feel better at all, I would see a GI doctor. I recently found out I have a hiatal hernia. If you have a problem that is not related to your diet at all, a diagnosis could save you a lot of effort in trying to find a problem food that doesn't exist.

Or, if you are my dd, it is everything BUT the big allergens. She can have peanuts, wheat, and small amounts of dairy. She's allergic to almost everything else. When there are multiple culprits, about the only way to get to the bottom of it is to drop back to just a few very low chance allergy foods and add back one at a time VERY slowly. Or, go in for testing. It is a good place to start.

Going off of grains cured my ibs, but for the last year or so I was having a lot of heartburn, bloating and stomach pain after eating. I had a scope of my upper gi system, and was diagnosed with gastritis. I had to eliminate coffee, tea, and diet coke (all high acid and very irritating to the stomach), and take prilosec. I'm feeling so much better now (and drinking white tea b/c it's very low in acid).

All that to say, you might consider going on a low-acid diet. Google "gerd diet."

Good luck,

Gluten would be my first guess as well.

My dd & dh have celiac disease, both presented quite differently, and I am gluten sensitive.

My dd was allergic to just about everything under the sun. For several years we could only eat approx 17 foods (she was nursing at the time which is why I had to be on the diet as well). A few of the foods she could eat, without reaction, were spelt & oats.

Her ped GI convinced me to go gluten free with her though when her celiac biopsy came back inconclusive and her genetic testing came back as very high risk. After 6 weeks she had gained 5 lbs (at the time she was 2 yrs old, only 15 lbs, and wearing 6-9 mos sized clothing so gaining 5 lbs was a HUGE deal). After about 2.5 months of being GF all her other food intolerances/allergies went away.

We only figured out dh because of dd being diagnosed - he had mental fog, OCD, depression, headaches 24/7, joint pain, hungry all the time, and a few other things. The worst was the headaches that he had constantly. After being GF for just 2 days he said his headaches were much more manageable and after 3 weeks they were gone. Now he gets maybe 2-3 headaches a year.

As for me, I get psoriasis when I eat gluten. As long as I stay GF I don't have any psoriasis at all.

oh, onions is an issue for my husband, too. and grease/oil. it was very sad because when i started on my food allergy trip, i had only 20 safe foods. When I added onions back, I went a full week and felt fine . . but dh was in more pain than he'd been in in ages!

when i started my food allergy trip, I said i wanted my stomach to NEVER hurt . . . he said thats not realistic. But as he watched me get better he started being more willing to avoid foods he knew bothered him, and i started making more of an effort to not cook w foods that bother him (onions! so sad!)

If you're in the U.S though "food starch" is OK in terms of gluten unless it says wheat next to it or it has a wheat warning at the bottom.

Food starch is almost always made from either corn, wheat, or potato. By law, wheat must be declared on a label and they don't make/use rye or barley food starch.

If you do go GF, the book Gluten Free Living for Dummies is actually super helpful and it dispels many of the internet myths which are quite plentiful (like having to avoid vinegar or vanilla extract for example).

Another vote for gluten here. I was bloated and gassy every single day. It was awful. I eliminated gluten and my symptoms mostly disappeared. I also found that taking the supplement 5-HTP eased my symptoms and normalized my digestive system. I'm not sure why that is. The book The Mood Cure talks about it a bit and said something to the effect of most serotonin in your body being manufactured in your gut. If you're not manufacturing enough serotonin, your gut won't work properly...something like that. I don't know, but I know that when I take it, my stomach feels much, much better. So if you can't find a dietary link, you might try taking 5-HTP.

Good luck. I know how it feels to deal with the bloating and misery (and :blushing:) on a daily basis.

Thanks for all the replies. After doing away with the dairy (and that helped some) I kind of figured that gluten was the next step. But, I'm in denial. Carbs are my comfort food.:(

Unless you're going completely grain free you don't have to give up all your comfort food carbs. They just need some tweaking. Heck I made a giant 6 layer rainbow cake for my dd's birthday just last week - totally gluten free and no one ever knew (we had waaaay too much, dh took the leftovers into work). I make all sorts of things: cake, angel food cake, brownies, pie, cookies, pizza, pancakes, waffles (the waffles in my avatar are GF), dinner rolls, hamburger buns, etc. Just this morning we had blueberry-peach pancakes. Check out my blog for recipes.

Also many people with celiacs or who are gluten intolerant find that after being GF for several months they can often tolerate dairy again.

Unless you're going completely grain free you don't have to give up all your comfort food carbs. They just need some tweaking. Heck I made a giant 6 layer rainbow cake for my dd's birthday just last week - totally gluten free and no one ever knew (we had waaaay too much, dh took the leftovers into work). I make all sorts of things: cake, angel food cake, brownies, pie, cookies, pizza, pancakes, waffles (the waffles in my avatar are GF), dinner rolls, hamburger buns, etc. Just this morning we had blueberry-peach pancakes. Check out my blog for recipes.

Also many people with celiacs or who are gluten intolerant find that after being GF for several months they can often tolerate dairy again.

Your blog looks great! Thanks so much:)

Your blog looks great! Thanks so much:)

Thanks! I haven't added anything to it lately since we're in the middle of a move plus getting ready for school to start again but I'll be adding to it again in a few months.

Btw, if you suspect celiacs you should get tested before you go GF if a diagnosis is important to you. The blood test & biopsy (which they'll want to do if your blood test comes up positive) are only accurate if you're eating gluten. If you do have celiacs, once you go GF you'll feel so much better you probably won't be able to go back to eating gluten just to get tested.

On this note, do you absolutely need to get tested if you suspect Celiac? Or can you just go GF?

Btw, if you suspect celiacs you should get tested before you go GF if a diagnosis is important to you. The blood test & biopsy (which they'll want to do if your blood test comes up positive) are only accurate if you're eating gluten. If you do have celiacs, once you go GF you'll feel so much better you probably won't be able to go back to eating gluten just to get tested.

Its a personal choice. In england, you can get money for special foods, so a diagnosis is important, but honestly - if you feel better not eating it, there's no reason for a diagnosis - unless you have to fight with someone over it because they dont believe you, esp in regards to a child.

On this note, do you absolutely need to get tested if you suspect Celiac? Or can you just go GF?

You don't need to get tested however if you truly have celiac then you need to always be 100% GF. Even the tiniest bit can not only cause short term reactions but long term damage that can lead to a whole host of nasty diseases and damage to your body. Many people find they are better about sticking to a GF diet if they know for sure they have celiacs.

That being said my dh was never tested. We assume he has celiacs since dd is diagnosed, it's genetic, and dh had most of the classic symptoms plus loads of others that all went away immediately once he went GF. Now if he gets glutened his reaction is severe so even though he does want to eat gluten sometimes he just can't. MIL put a regular frozen waffle in our GF toaster - dh thought it would be no big deal, made himself one of his GF bagels, and was in the bathroom all night long & had headaches for about 2 weeks.

I don't have celiacs (although I was never tested) but I find it easy to stay 100% GF since everyone but my ds is GF anyways and I hate hate HATE my reaction (severe psoriasis).