Menu

Chemical sensitive friend cannot use store bought cleaners in her

house. She's cleaning with vinegar and baking soda. What do you use for washing clothes? What can you use in the dishwasher that is odor free and yet really cleans them? It cannot have ANY smell to it. She can't handle any kind of smells.

Thanks!

Hmmm, I don't know about the dishwasher, but Tide makes some liquid detergent that doesn't have much of a smell- Lavender I think. They might make an unscented one- I can't remember. I will say that using antibacterial hand/dish soap is great for cleaning mirrors/windows.

Seventh Generation makes one called Free and Clear. I use it and it does not smell.

Has she looked at Norwex cloths. They are good for cleaning with no cleaners. I like mine but they are pricey at the beginning. A good place to start is the window cloth. Love. it.

I heard on another thread that you can use baking powder for laundry (I think :confused:) It was on one of the frugality threads.

Is is only the smell she can't tolerate or is it the strong chemicals?

I looked it up. It's called Tide Pure Essentials, and it's made w/ baking soda. The scent is White Lilac, or Lemon Verbena. I have used the lilac, and the smell is almost non-existent. I am sensitive to smells as well (can we say raging headaches and stuffy nose/wheezing). If she can't handle that, maybe just using baking soda will work. I feel for her.

Here's the tide website on it.... http://www.tide.com/en_US/products/product.jsp?product=tide_pureessentials_liquid_white_lilac

Here's a recipe that I've found - I haven't emptied my current container, but will be trying this once it's gone.

What you'll need:

Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

20 Mule Team Borax

Distilled White Vinegar

Here's what you do:

• Step 1: Add one tablespoon of Super Washing Soda to the dishwasher dispenser
  • Step 2: Add one tablespoon of 20 Mule Team Borax to the dishwasher dispenser

You're done. That's the recipe for homemade dishwashing detergent. Now the recipe for removing the water spots that so frequently occur with automatic dishwashers:

Once you've run your dishwasher, be sure to hold your glasses up to the light and inspect them thoroughly. You'll find that the homemade detergent cleans as well if not better than the store bought detergent.