Menu

Help unravel spelling, please

Researcher

"still haven't found what I'm lookin' for" Sounds like a U2 song, right?

I have created quite a web of spelling decisions for myself and now I need help finding my way out.

Backstory: We've used SWO. It was years ago and DS didn't get anything out of it or retain correct spelling of simple words. Then we moved to AAS. This works ok but it's too time intensive for me at this point and DS is complaining that it goes too slow. I purchased SS and introduced it to him and he immediately said he didn't like it. (I don't think the format made any sense to him) Ok, back to the drawing board.

So my takeaway from that is DS needs something with rules that actually teaches spelling. A list of words to memorize or a random workbook won't work for him.

I've looked at SP, HTTS, Spellwell, R&S, Spelling Plus, and WRTR.

WRTR: My thoughts are that WRTR may be good but I only want spelling. It would also be a lot for me to learn up front and I'm simply not in a place to devote that time right now.

R&S: R&S looks great as a workbook approach and I think DS would like that it's more independent, but it's not secular. Is there anything like R&S that is secular? I think if this were, I would just choose this as it's the best workbook I've seen so far.

Spelling Plus: I don't really understand how to teach spelling from this. It looks like a list of words that I would have to use something like ABC's & all their tricks to teach from. Or am I missing something?

HTTS: This looks great as a method to really teach spelling but does not appear open and go. How would I teach this? Can I use the workbook and give some dictation sentences?

Spelling Power: I've looked through this and don't see where it does any teaching on rules, syllabication, roots, prefixes, or suffixes.

Spellwell: I don't have one of the books and the online samples have been lacking. Can someone fill me in on this?

If you've made it this far, thank you! Any help will be greatly appreciated. Spelling is the last subject I thought was going to be our nemesis.:glare:

Edited by Researcher

How old is your DS and what is his spelling ability?

You might want to add Megawords to your list of things to look at if he is spelling at that level. This includes a lot of syllabication and is pretty much and open and go workbook.

I really like Apples & Pears for my struggling speller. It's a very different approach than AAS. Very limited rules and syllabication, but it's method for discovering the patterns of spelling have worked very well here. It also includes dictation sentences and is very open and go.

DS just turned 10 and can spell 3rd grade words, but he still misses some very common 2nd grade words. This is how I know what we've used has not been working. For example: he recently missed the word "seem". Now, to his credit, he spelled "seam" but when I mentioned that other word, I got a blank stare. I had to remind him of the other way we make the long e sound. Then he got it.

I do like Phonetic Zoo but I know DS would hate it. He is not a auditory learner and usually just gets annoyed with what he considers "too much noise." Oy! I have found that he is much more visual than auditory.

Off to check out Apples and Pears....

[quote=Researcher;4170507Spelling Plus: I don't really understand how to teach spelling from this. It looks like a list of words that I would have to use something like ABC's & all their tricks to teach from. Or am I missing something?

It is just a list every week but it's bit more than that. It goes over the spelling rules and homophones next to the list but it is not scripted. You have to read the book and you can get a used one really cheap!

The student practices by spelling the word orally, tracing the word, writing the word while spelling orally, covering and testing, checking, correcting, etc. I think the dictation book is incredibly important with the program and is often overlooked. Spelling Plus and Dictation are very simplistic. But it doesn't take more than 30 minutes a day with dictation. 15 minutes if we skip dictation that day. Placement is pretty simple in this program as there are pretests. But I wasn't too concerned about getting that perfect because I also add words to the list that he misses in his writing/dictation if we have covered them in previous lists. The dictation helps with review of the words because we stay a couple lists behind. The author did a good job making sure that the dictation only uses words the child should know how to spell.

HTH

HTTS is very open and go if you have the workbooks.

From what you are saying, I would maybe start with Level 2 of the workbooks. My 9.5yo just finished Level 2 a few weeks ago. We had to skip some stuff at the beginning that was too easy, but I knew he wasn't ready for Level 3. I can tell he needs more work with syllables so I am going to do Megawords 1 with him when we start school back up, then jump into HTS Level 3. The HTS workbooks do have several pages of syllabication at the beginning, but I want to really concentrate on it for several weeks and Megawords 1 looks good for that. As if you need another option. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, back to HTTS. The workbooks guide you along with the dictation, but I typed up an Excel spreadsheet to tell me what pages in the TM to use for dictation just so I wouldn't have to look at his workbook everyday to see what we were supposed to be doing. Here is my "plan" for Level 2 (haven't typed up Level 3 plan yet): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxYMI9LwoGk2M3N5U0VFeUYxNzA

Here is a blog post with more info on how we use it:

http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/

I'm lost on spelling too.

I thought I was settled on HTTS, but was really confused on how to use it. I would flip back and forth between the book and the workbooks and finally gave up. I used the lists in the book though, and plugged the lists into Spelling City. She loved it. One or two lists per week and I would simply print her test scores for my records. It's not my ideal way to do spelling, but it got done and without complaint. :001_smile:

HTTS is very open and go if you have the workbooks.

From what you are saying, I would maybe start with Level 2 of the workbooks. My 9.5yo just finished Level 2 a few weeks ago. We had to skip some stuff at the beginning that was too easy, but I knew he wasn't ready for Level 3. I can tell he needs more work with syllables so I am going to do Megawords 1 with him when we start school back up, then jump into HTS Level 3. The HTS workbooks do have several pages of syllabication at the beginning, but I want to really concentrate on it for several weeks and Megawords 1 looks good for that. As if you need another option. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, back to HTTS. The workbooks guide you along with the dictation, but I typed up an Excel spreadsheet to tell me what pages in the TM to use for dictation just so I wouldn't have to look at his workbook everyday to see what we were supposed to be doing. Here is my "plan" for Level 2 (haven't typed up Level 3 plan yet): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxYMI9LwoGk2M3N5U0VFeUYxNzA

Here is a blog post with more info on how we use it:

http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/

Thank you for the replies!

I just looked at your plan for HTS 2 and it looks really good. I'm going to try and spend some time with this later today and see if I can figure out how to use HTTS and figure out if it's a good fit. This lineup is a perfect way for me to do this. Thanks!

Megawords 1 I purchased a while ago thinking the exact same thing about extra practice for syllables. ;) After peeking at the HTTS manual, I don't see why these couldn't be used together. It doesn't seem overkill unless I'm missing something in HTS.

Elizabeth & jannylynn, thank you for the input on spelling plus. I need to look further into this one. The method described for the lesson sounds very similar to SP and several of the other programs I looked at. It seems straight forward enough, on first look. It sounds like I need to check out the dictation book that goes with it.

My kids have been spelling challenged as well. After trying lots of programs and methods what has worked best is based on Realspelling.com.

The program is quite expensive at 140 euros, but it is SO worth it.

This is not a program per se but a thorough and rigorous understanding of the English writing system. The ToolBox consists of multimedia presentations on various aspects and a users manual. It is a lot of information to weed through but it has been invaluable for my kids who could not memorize or remember spellings for anything. This info helps with the structure of words, relationship of words to each other, history of English spelling, addresses spurious rules and teaches ways of approaching new words. My daughter had lessons with the creator, Melvyn Ramsden, for about 6months via Skype (he lives in France). Awesome, awesome, funny person. If you have any questions he responds quickly.

I have used it like this (after going through all the material and watching all the videos and doing some random word analyses myself to make sure I understand the process):

(optional) Present information such as terminology, patterns, review info from previous lessons.

Dictate sentence or words depending on what level. I use sentences from books a little below reading level. I haven't tried this yet, but have been thinking of having them write a sentence of their own. You could also start with a word they want to know how to spell.

Look at together. Discuss why the student spelled each word as they did (or just discuss words that are wrong). Discuss relation to other words. Etymonline.org, the OED online if you have access (my library system has a subscription), m-w.com, and word searcher.org will become your spelling best friends. Do one word at a time.

Watch appropriate videos together or do a word study analysis as discussed in the manual. if you feel comfortable enough with the material you can explain it yourself.

Dictate sentence again. Repeat as necessary for other misspelled words.

I have a list of the 5000 most common words and as they master the words I check them off (by master I mean use the word or it's derivatives correctly in another sentence or context). I also add words that they master. This is for my own peace of mind.

I have been able to fold grammar into this as well. Parts of speech have to be discussed as word relationships are examined.

This is not an open and go program, but it has turned spelling into a (wordy) adventure for me and the kids. Spelling becomes a thinking activity rather than just a memorization activity.

For my oldest daughter (14) it has provided a way to think about words and process for analyzing and understanding word spellings.

This program is an investment of time and money, however, it cost less than all the spelling programs I bought that didn't work!

Hope that helps. Even if you don't get the program the website has a lot of great info and multimedia presentations that are worth viewing.

Melissa

Minnesota

and speeding it up or simplifying it a bit since you already have the curriculm.

You mentioned it work in helping your son spell better and learn the rules (your main goals).

The only gripe for you are: Teacher intensive and too slow for your son..

So what parts of it is teacher intensive for you?

Sometimes when I am pressed for time I either have husband if he is around or another child dictate the words/sentences/writing activity for that child (the other child gets to practice some reading). I, of course, correct it when I can get to it.

You can use a whiteboard instead of the tiles. You can have another child who knows the sounds drill the phonogram, dictate the sounds, drill spelling rules for that child. I have drilled all the kids in the bathtub to save some time. DELEGATE! DELEGATE!

As the books go up higher, the lessons are really really short ie in Book 4.

To speed it up, I have done many steps in one day. My natural speller daughter did Book 2 in two weeks. I just wanted her to know the basic spelling rules.