Menu

I need a new bike for me...

What is your favorite? How do I measure what size would be best? I don't want a gajillion gears either....10 is my limit.

Also....what bike rack for the car is your favorite? Mine would have to go on a mini-van....and hold at least 5 bicycles:tongue_smilie:

Faithe....who is ready to start living LIFE.

Trek for the bike, love the women's specific design for the fit. There's a dealer in Saugurties, but I don't know the reputation. You might ask a biker friend.

Bike rack...whatever the people loading & unloading are comfortable with and meets your security needs and fits the bikes. Consumer Reports reviews occasionally and has some elements of consideration listed on their website. A biggie for us was hitch mount.

Thanks! I know of a reputable dealer in Kingston....guess I can get fitted there...:D.

Might be difficult to find a bike with 10 or fewer gears. I have 21 and regularly use about 5, occasionally use 5 more. But it's just hard to find a 10 speed with the gearing set to the ones you'll use often.

We have a Thule hitch rack- love, love, love it, but I don't think they make one to hold 5 bikes. Does anyone make a rack that holds that many??

Trek bikes - women's specific frame, if you need it, but it's not a necessity.

I don't know if you can get a bike with only 10 gears.

Bike racks - Thule and Yakima are the name brands but they will be expensive, especially for a 5 bike rack. I found this one at Walmart. Someone on Amazon recommended it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Deluxe-Hitch-Mounted-5-Bike-Carrier-for-2-Receiver-Hitches/13070209

I can fit 5 bikes on it, but it took some wiggling and removing seats to figure it out.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/cruiser/womens_cruiser/calypso_womens/

I like this one! Or the purple! :) And I would get a rack on the back and a basket on the front. :)

And a bell...you MUST have a bell! How else will you repay your kids for driving you batty? Get a bell...and earplugs...and ring your bell everytime you pedal down. :lol:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/cruiser/womens_cruiser/calypso_womens/

I like this one! Or the purple! :) And I would get a rack on the back and a basket on the front. :)

And a bell...you MUST have a bell! How else will you repay your kids for driving you batty? Get a bell...and earplugs...and ring your bell everytime you pedal down. :lol:

And it's just a 7 speed! Might be perfect!

I have a Jamis Tangier, which probably isn't what you're looking for at all. But I really really love it, and Jamis is a great though lesser known brand that makes some nice cruisers. They last well too. I bought mine a few years used, about 12 years ago, and rode it hard including to work in the loop. I just had to change the handle bar grips today, but all the moving parts are still working well.

I need one too!! I'm watching this thread! Then I have a side thing to have my dog run with me :)

What dog thing do you have?

definitely visit a specialized shop. Many will let you test ride too. Get a comfy seat though! Wider ones with good cushion. They will save your bum from soreness!

We have a rack that goes in our hitch. It holds 4 and any extras go in the back of the truck. This is similar to the one we have. Ours folds down in two places by taking the pins out. less worries about people running into the bar rack or if you want to get into the vehicle after you've taken the bikes off.

What dog thing do you have?

Normally it's a bar that attaches to your bike and hangs out a bit and you hook the dog by leash to the top. People love them, but my GSD would be like "SQUIRELL, or CAT!" and I'd be eating the pavement :blink:. I know with practice he'd be fine, as he's learned to stay next to me on leash while riding, but I'd be worried about those first few times, lol

I have an older Schwinn (looks kind of like this) from before the company was bought out by... Pacific Cycles, I think? I love my bike but I would NOT recommend buying one of the new, Walmart Schwinns. If you happen to see a good used one at a bike shop, though, go for it!

I would definitely recommend shocks in the seat and the front wheel, no matter what brand you go with. It makes the ride unbelievably smooth. Size is definitely important. I'm about 2.5" shorter than my mom and she can not ride my bike, nor can I ride hers, comfortably at all. Just go to your nearest bike shop and talk to the friendly folks there. Our bike shop has really nice used bikes sometimes, so ask about that too.

Have fun!

Looking at the ages of your kids, I am guessing you and I are somewhat close in age ;). I bought myself a good bike a couple of years ago, because I enjoy riding, and I knew if my bike caused me pain, I would never use it. I went with a comfort bike by the manufacturer Giant (similar to Trek).

It was important for me to be able to maintain upright posture so I wasn't putting pressure on my neck. (Spinning classes had taught me that. Ouch!) The positioning of the seat: pedals: handlebars is different for comfort bikes than for regular models, and I can sit straight. I love my bike! Mine cost around $450, and it was worth every penny.

I would guess that a bike shop would show you a comfort bike, but in case they didn't, I wanted you to know about them.

I love my long wheelbase recumbent. The only thing I would change would be to try a short wheelbase recumbent to make it easier to load on a conventional bike rack. NO soreness, ultimate comfort!

http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/recumbents.htm this website has information and links to a lot of the main recumbent companies. My own bike was handmade by a local recumbent enthusiast, so it isn't a specific brand. Riding it feels like sitting in a lawn chair............

I have an older version of this one:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/recreation/hybrid/

Mine is about 11 years old now and still going strong. I used to ride 12-18 miles/day but we have since moved to an area that does not have as many biking opportunities. I would get it tuned yearly when I was riding that many miles. It is a great bike!

We bought dd a Columbia bike for her birthday last year. I love her bike and if mine ever broke beyond repair, I'd replace it with hers. Unfortunately, I can't find it online. We bought hers from Sports Authority

Diamondback is an affordable bike shop quality brand. I have a 12 year old hybrid one and it has served me very well. I see they have some on sale at REI right now.

I want to second the Diamondback suggestion.

The Misses and I ride Diamondbacks. When we purchased, there were three models of the Serene Classic -- basic, middle, deluxe. I got the middle; Miss M-mv(i) got the deluxe. At that time, the handlebars and general "feel" of the bike was cruiser. I see that the 2012 models are somewhat different.

Miss M-mv(ii) chose a hybrid but has recently been coveting a cruiser.

Mr. M-mv chose a men's hybrid but has recently switched to Specialized hybrid.

The Diamondback is a minivan of a bike, which this capacious-bottomed, middle-aged cyclist deeply appreciated when she first returned to cycling in 2009. It's sturdy, heavy, and reliable... with one caveat. Some of the Diamondbacks have flawed wheels. The spokes pop for no reason, and it's near to impossible to get the wheel back into its proper performance. (Sorry. I don't know all of the bike jargon.) I recently replaced the back wheel, as mine was one of the recalled wheels. (Unfortunately, I had been in and out of our former bike shop four times before discovering this.) The replacement (which I acquired at our *new* bike shop) cost $75, but it has utterly transformed my ride.

None of the other three Diamondbacks seem to have been affected by the bad lot of wheels. (Thank goodness!)

Happy and safe riding to you!