Menu

Do your kids with epi-pens have medic alert bracelets?

My older dd had an anaphylactic reaction last night, and as I drove home from the ER with her, I started wondering if she should be wearing a medic alert bracelet. She has had the epi-pen since spring and had made sure that all of her friends, relatives and such know that she has it and know how to use it. I was thinking a bracelet would make me feel better, but I'm not sure how useful they are in real life for allergic reactions. Any experience or opinions?

And she's fine - I recognized the reaction for what it was really quickly, gave her benadryl and got her to the er super fast. Although she had tested negative for a shellfish allergy in the spring, she's allergic to scallops.

I need to get one for my son! He is severely allergic to peanuts. Now that he is older and doing more without me by his side, I believe he should wear one. They have some really cool ones if you search around.

How scary. I hope your daughter is ok.

Yes, I would absolutely get the child a medic-alert bracelet.

Anytime someone has something that a first responder should know immediately, like a potential anaphylactic reaction, even a rare and unlikely one, a medic-alert bracelet or other form of ID should be worn.

My 14yo daughter has medication allergies, including an allergy to a commonly used form of anesthesia, so she wears a medic-alert bracelet. In an emergency situation, it would be important for a first responder or ER doctor to know that information, and I'm not always around to be able to provide it.

My youngest son requires daily medication and has special needs, so he wears a medic-alert bracelet. I also have to wear one for a medication allergy.

They're inexpensive and easy to get, and will speak for your child if they're in a situation where they can't speak.

Edited to add: Since you asked, here's an example of why they're important. Last summer, my daughter got into a bike accident, breaking her jaw in two places, along with several teeth. She needed stitches in her face, oral surgery and had her jaw wired shut for 6 weeks. By the time I got to the hospital, the doctors had already made note of her allergies and knew that they couldn't use one of the medications that they might have otherwise.

Edited by sailmom

For a food allergy and a child, I would seriously consider it. Especially if they spend a good deal of time away from home (sports, performances etc).

Dd13 has an epi but hers is due to allergy shots so no, we don't have her wear an identifier.

Look on line, there are some really cute ones out now that are much more kid friendly that the old metal ones.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I can't see how it would possibly hurt. While at the moment she's mostly around people who know about her allergies, she's approaching the age where she's likely to be doing stuff on her own, or outside her core group. There are cute bracelets these days (though personally, I'd balance cuteness with standard look - I'd worry about something that looked too much like regular bracelet getting overlooked).

Her epi-pen was originally because she had severe reactions to tree-pollen that sent her to the er several times. This is her first food allergy. :( The reaction was a whole lot faster. Our allergist had warned us that her allergies were so bad that he expected she'd need it for environmental allergies before long. We were surprised by shellfish but pretty well prepared.

Okay - I'll add medic-alert bracelet shopping to our back-to-school list along with shoes to match the uniform.

Thanks.

So what do you written on the bracelet? She has multiple environmental allergies and a food allergy - she has asthma and carries an inhaler and an epi-pen.

The people at Medic Alert helped me decide what the most important information was for the bracelet. If you have a lot to say, that will be kept on file with them so that when medical personnel call, they will be told all of that.

In DS's case, his bracelet read "Allergic to Corn. Saline IV only." Then, they had the rest of his allergies on file. Different people will have different most important information.

My older dd had an anaphylactic reaction last night, and as I drove home from the ER with her, I started wondering if she should be wearing a medic alert bracelet. She has had the epi-pen since spring and had made sure that all of her friends, relatives and such know that she has it and know how to use it. I was thinking a bracelet would make me feel better, but I'm not sure how useful they are in real life for allergic reactions. Any experience or opinions?

And she's fine - I recognized the reaction for what it was really quickly, gave her benadryl and got her to the er super fast. Although she had tested negative for a shellfish allergy in the spring, she's allergic to scallops.

Did they tell you at the ER, that the next time it happens you should absolutely use the epi-pen and not even attempt Benadryl? I don't mess with Benadryl anymore.

BTW, w/ a shellfish allergy there are sometimes contamination issues. Dd never had a problem with tuna until last year. Her allergist thinks her reaction to tuna was b/c of contamination in processing. Prior to that reaction she had eaten tuna w/ no trouble at all.

Jeepers! I guess I know why I didn't see you last night :001_smile:. I hope she's feeling better.

Yes.

I actually have the bracelets for all the kids. The non-diagnosed kids have ones that warn of the potential for food allergies and "not to feed XYZ." I like having them as ID bracelets anyway. The two year old got his first one this year and was so proud. Everybody gets to choose their own color ink for the label on the bracelet. Though my oldest got stuck with black b/c they don't do fancy colors on the large size emblems.

Did they tell you at the ER, that the next time it happens you should absolutely use the epi-pen and not even attempt Benadryl? I don't mess with Benadryl anymore.

BTW, w/ a shellfish allergy there are sometimes contamination issues. Dd never had a problem with tuna until last year. Her allergist thinks her reaction to tuna was b/c of contamination in processing. Prior to that reaction she had eaten tuna w/ no trouble at all.

Yep, last night the ER doc said next time to use the epi and call go to the emergency room which is what we did this afternoon. This afternoon, the same ER doc that we had last night said that next time we should epi then 911 in case she needs oxygen on the way over.

Right now, she never wants to eat anything from the ocean again.

Yep, last night the ER doc said next time to use the epi and call go to the emergency room which is what we did this afternoon. This afternoon, the same ER doc that we had last night said that next time we should epi then 911 in case she needs oxygen on the way over.

Right now, she never wants to eat anything from the ocean again.

:grouphug:I don't blame her. Food allergies stink. We are at the point where we are extremely cautious about restaurants.

When in doubt we don't eat out--especially when we are on vacation and don't know the area well, and thus may not be that close to a hospital. And, I think I remember reading that some emergency responders aren't allowed to give dpi treatment (I'll have to check on that to make sure I have my facts straight b/c I don't remember the details).

We've had to pass up some great restaurants b/c we were too nervous about trusting the staff. It's just not worth the trip to the hospital and the 3 hour stay on a heart monitor.

So what do you written on the bracelet? She has multiple environmental allergies and a food allergy - she has asthma and carries an inhaler and an epi-pen.

I didn't go with Medic Alert, but I do have a medical bracelet. It reads:

Front:

Stephanie ________

Allergies & Asthma

See Other Side

Back:

Allergic to: peanuts, nuts, all legumes

asthma

medical card in wallet