Menu

Severe Processing Issues and Math

Guest frugal.fanatic

Guest frugal.fanatic

I am glad I found this board and am hoping to find some suggestions!!

My dd is 13 and going into 8th grade. She is still struggling with multiplication, carrying in subtraction....well, everything.

We have tried MUS but it just does nothing for her. We have also done tt and it seems like she can progress but doesnt retain anything.

Suggestions? I am at a loss and really want a successful year. What I would LOVE is an online program that tests her and puts her where she is at and just progresses her as she is ready to move forward.

But I am completely open to suggestions. HELP!

I am glad I found this board and am hoping to find some suggestions!!

My dd is 13 and going into 8th grade. She is still struggling with multiplication, carrying in subtraction....well, everything.

We have tried MUS but it just does nothing for her. We have also done tt and it seems like she can progress but doesnt retain anything.

Suggestions? I am at a loss and really want a successful year. What I would LOVE is an online program that tests her and puts her where she is at and just progresses her as she is ready to move forward.

But I am completely open to suggestions. HELP!

The author Ronit Bird addresses these issues in the books Overcoming Difficulties with Number and The Dyscalculia Toolkit. Sousa has written a book called How the Brain Learns Mathematics which has been very helpful for working with my son.

I know from experience if there is a severe processing problem you really need to modify the progression of your chosen curricula. I like mathusee but even if you selected something else you could choose something else but sit on a topic until she really gets it before you move on to the next. Otherwise, they tend to lose a topic until it is solidly mastered.

I know it gets really frustrating because they are supposed to be making a grade's worth of progress in a year just like every other child. But, with a processing difficulty, that goes out the window.

I hope you find something that you are happy with.

I have not used any of these, but here are some assessment programs:

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool-test-assessment-curriculum/?c=1

For my processing issue child, I allow accomodations such as charts or a calculator. I teach the concepts of the math and don't require drills, timed tests or memorization of basic facts. DS is beginning to remember many of the facts through use, and enjoys learning the concepts. Multi-step problems such as long division are an issue, so we allow the accomodations for those as well. This is on the advice of his educational psychologist, and I agree. I'd rather him learn something, then bog down and feel bad about his failures. KWIM?

FWIW, I think some of the online programs would be beneficial, but they don't fit DS' learning style. I wish he'd do something like Destination Math, but he just doesn't take to that style of teaching.

How about Right Start Math ... it's also multi sensory and has many math games you can play.

Another suggestion is Mathnasuim.... they only tutor in math and tutor where your child is. I think online math programs are harder for a struggling student simply because it is one way communication - perhaps in a way your DD doesn't understand.

Nancy