Menu

Hosting groups for the first time

At DD's request, We're having a mythology club and a Latin club meeting at our house this year. I really had only expected 3-4kids, but it looks like more like 12-15 per group. I bought the NME and ELE study materials in digital form and figured I'd just print copies of the activities the kids needed-I have a good laser printer that does a ton of copies on one $25 cartridge, and when I was thinking a small group, I wasn't worried about other supplies because I'd be buying them for DD anyway-so, when I posted this on our local board, I didn't list a fee or anything like that-it was simply something I was willing to do for my daughter.

But now that the group is growing, I'm not sure that I can afford to underwrite it myself. Would it be acceptable, do ya'll think, to ask for a small supply fee (maybe $10/child) from those who can pay it, to help cover some of my expenses?

I would say it is $10.00 for all. I have been amazed that some people claim they can't pay and then send their kid to class with a lunch from Subway or somewhere every single time. People can pay for what they put a priority on.

I am not slamming anyone who buys fast food.

Definitely charge a supply fee!!!! I made the mistake of not doing that with a geography group I hosted. It was fine when there were a hand full of kids, but it grew to 17 kids and I was spending quite a bit to keep it going. I did it for 3 years.....I'm done:)

:iagree:

Charge for it... call it a supplies fee, and unless someone is truly not going to be able to eat beans and rice that week because of the expense, everybody pays. You're teaching for free- some people charge several hundred dollars for a class like that. And most of the time, payment = commitment.

Just send out a nice friendly note. Anyone who won;t pay for copies is welcome to purchase their own materials elsewhere. Also decide if you're OK with siblings or friends sharing materials. My younger DDs will share a science text, but they won't need the book at co-op as they will only be doing labs there.

Also, make sure copyright allows you to print for a co-op or class, if that concerns you. One of my pet peeves is illegal copies, and I NEED to save money... but my respect for someone goes way down when my kid comes home with a pack of papers that say "DO NOT COPY" across the bottom....

My biggest concern is that I'm changing the rules mid-stream. I don't want the other parents upset with me, but I also don't want to spend my entire homeschool budget on other people's kids. I'd just never anticipated the response-when I'd posted "would you be interested" as a hypothetical on the board last spring, there really were only a few kids, but once I actually set up the activity and group, I've been surprised-and it seems to be reaching a different group of people who WANT more academic activities, which is good (one of the frustratns I've had is that most of the activities others have planned have tended to be on the "fun, and if they learn something, that's good, too" level-while I have a child who wants deep content and others to share it with.)

So if $10 is too low, what would be reasonable for an academic club? If I print out the full student packets, it's about 200 pages per kid just for that (and since they're designed for group use, that's perfectly legal-as a curriculum writer, I tend to only buy copy-permissible materials if there's any CHANCE that I'll use them with a group-because even if I say that we're going to use a specific $5 workbook, I know others will copy vs buying-and I KNOW how little curriculum developers make and how much work goes into creating a good curriculum project) plus other supplies for crafts and projects.

Edited by dmmetler

My biggest concern is that I'm changing the rules mid-stream. I don't want the other parents upset with me, but I also don't want to spend my entire homeschool budget on other people's kids. I'd just never anticipated the response-when I'd posted "would you be interested" as a hypothetical on the board last spring, there really were only a few kids, but once I actually set up the activity and group, I've been surprised-and it seems to be reaching a different group of people who WANT more academic activities, which is good (one of the frustratns I've had is that most of the activities others have planned have tended to be on the "fun, and if they learn something, that's good, too" level-while I have a child who wants deep content and others to share it with.)

So if $10 is too low, what would be reasonable for an academic club? If I print out the full student packets, it's about 200 pages per kid just for that (and since they're designed for group use, that's perfectly legal-as a curriculum writer, I tend to only buy copy-permissible materials if there's any CHANCE that I'll use them with a group-because even if I say that we're going to use a specific $5 workbook, I know others will copy vs buying-and I KNOW how little curriculum developers make and how much work goes into creating a good curriculum project) plus other supplies for crafts and projects.

As a mom myself, I would not be offended. It is unfair for others to take advantage of you this way. I would send out an e-mail telling people "Hey, I know we didn't plan it this way, but due to an amazing turn out....."

I'd say $25-35 per kid would be good and you might say $10 for each additional child in the family (this helps moms with 2-3 kids in the class not be swamped with the costs). You may tell them that you will keep the money in the fund and refund whatever is left from buying supplies for the rest of the year when the class is over. And if your child quits the class mid-year, you forfeit your refund.

I've taught locally for years and give the National Latin Exam locally.

My experience is that if you don't charge, you'll get people that aren't serious about it. And if they can't pay for your copies, they shouldn't sign up. Also do NOT hand out all of your copies the first day. The reality is that you'll lose some as the weeks go by. Charge enough for copies plus a little more. I've gotten complaints for charging a little more for the NLE than they charge, but I have the right to charge for gas, postage, and a little for the unexpected. If they want to pay less, they can do it themselves ;).

It isn't a bad thing to change your policy that way this early in the game. Claim ignorance ("I didn't know there would be so many."), and clearly state that there will be no refunds if they stop coming. Basically you want to make your policies consistent and trouble-free. Because you're basically volunteering your time, you don't need the hassle.

I think changing mid stream is reasonable. Just explain that it has been a larger turnout than expected and you need to be able to cover expenses. Money is tight here, but yes, we do manage to pay for what we think is important. I would have no issue paying $15 or $20 after expecting it to be free. I personally would go even a bit higher as your time is valuable as well. If any supplies are going to need to be bought, I would ask for others to step in and help as well.

nope. I would also go a bit higher for what your expenses will be since you will be supplying the place to meet. Also, the more money that is on the line, the more likely people will be to stick to it, rather than fall by the wayside as the year goes along.

:iagree:

It's sad to say it, but for many people, if it's free, it's always optional and commitments don't matter. :glare:

You might be amazed that, out of 12-15 people, only about 4 or 5 will show up on a regular basis.

figuring $0.05/copy, $10 for 200 pages will barely cover that. Good idea someone had about toilet paper, paper towels, basic craft supplies.

May I recommend only printing pages a week ahead and only giving them what they need to use before the next meeting? Otherwise you'll end up with the "I lost it" and "I forgot/can't find/don't know" chorus.

Don't feel bad- just say that the class fees will be $XX.XX to cover __________, and students will need to bring their own __________ every week. Ask them to confirm their interest in the class based on that. Some people will drop out, some people will bring friends and snacks and maybe even a Starbucks gift card to show their love. Enjoy!