Menu

Tell me about Boy Scouts and an 11yo joining for the first time.

My oldest son is contemplating Boy Scouts. He's really on the fence. We don't really know anyone personally that does it, but we are going to a meeting on Monday with a Pack/Troop (?) at a church with a lot of homeschoolers. My husband and I have no personal experience with scouts. There are some particular activities that he is interested in like archery. But, he keeps telling he's not interested in camping (although, I think if he got involved that would change). Is this the main focus?

How does everything work together, because there's advancement, merit badges, and then whatever they do as a group?

Is it feasible for an 11yo with no scouting experience in scouting just jump right in? Would he be really behind?

What expenses are involved?

thanks

C is 6yrs old and we are doing Girl Scouts. I know its a tad different, but ill give you my experience :)

The FIRST group we joined I hated and so did she. It was a smaller group (5 girls). They met at a church 1 day a month. Theyd start by sitting in a circle and reading a story, then theyd do snack time, then craft, then theyd do a small service project for their badge and thats it. Go Home. They didnt have good communication to parents, they werent involved in the community and they never told me how C would get badges or anything, let alone Bridge to Brownies. We quickly left after there was a MAJOR miscommunication with Girl Scout Day Camp.

-----------------------------------

The new group we found? WONDERFUL!!! They are ALL Homeschoolers! Its a semi small group of 10 girls. They have WONDERFUL communication with parents. The girls are constantly getting together, even outside of meetings. Im very happy with this group.

-As for badges, its my understanding they perform the service/action/item and then theres a ceremony for the badge. I guess every group could do it differently though.

-For your son, he doesnt have to do Camping, he could opt out of it, but he wouldnt get credit for that badge if there is one. Unless he talked to the leader about doing something on his won and im not sure if theyd let him?

-Your son can jump right in! Thats what we did with our FIRST group with C, we jumped right in. She will start fresh with Brownies the same as everyone else though.

-Expenses can be the books, but i know youll need the uniform. Most activities are covered by the troop. For example we have a Water Park day coming up in 2 weeks and C's ticket is covered by the Troop, but mine isnt of course.

HTH~~

11 is when boy scouts starts, so he'd do great! cub scouts is very different from boy scouts and is definitely NOT required to join boy scouts.

they earn different merit badges, usually the troop will send out notices of merit badge counselors holding "classes" for the kids to work on specific merit badges. There are certain ones required to become an eagle scout rank, along with a certain amount of camping and various other things.

They advance in rank by checking off requirements. Our troop goes camping about once a month and does other trips like canoeing, caving, etc. None are required.

You should consider buying or borrowing a boy scout handbook which will show you the requirements for advancing in rank to see if this is something your son would be interested in. The library may have one.

Our troop meets twice a monthplus camping or other excursions. Some meet once a week.

hope this helps

Like a PP has said, 11 is actually a great time to join, as that's when they move up from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. That's when my older ds joined.

The first few months will likely be more focused on advancement than merit badges, though as he goes through the first few ranks, the skills are very similar to the skills needed for the swimming and first aid merit badges and gotten a start on the camping merit badge, so a troop that's paying attention will make sure the boys are being signed off for both. Once he gets to First Class (the actual goal of the scouting program -- where a boy has proven that he has the skills to take care of himself and maybe someone else, then things like merit badges become more important, and they need a certain number (a few Eagle-required, plus several others of the boy's choosing) for Star and Life, and then for Eagle, he needs 12 specific merit badges, plus 9 others.

Being 11 would not be a disadvantage; however, it may not pan out for him if he's primarily interested in one thing like archery, he may end up disappointed. Badge work can really vary between troops, and even if they did an archery badge, once it was done, it would be done. Camping is definitely a focus of most Boy Scout troops.

My oldest son is contemplating Boy Scouts. He's really on the fence. We don't really know anyone personally that does it, but we are going to a meeting on Monday with a Pack/Troop (?) at a church with a lot of homeschoolers. My husband and I have no personal experience with scouts. There are some particular activities that he is interested in like archery. But, he keeps telling he's not interested in camping (although, I think if he got involved that would change). Is this the main focus?

How does everything work together, because there's advancement, merit badges, and then whatever they do as a group?

Is it feasible for an 11yo with no scouting experience in scouting just jump right in? Would he be really behind?

thanks

Are you in NC? ;)

Some scout troops will have an 11 year old do Webelos instead of jumping right into Boy Scouts. Things like Archery are usually a one-day thing. On the other hand, camping is once a month in boy scouts.

thanks

I was wondering of you are in NC, also! My son started at 12 with no earlier BSA experience. He is an introvert, so it has taken him about a year and a half to really start to feel comfortable - as a result he's really behind on his rank advancement.

The troop (which meets Mondays at a church with several homeschoolers but not all) plans one camping trip a month. My son goes one month and then feels he needs a break from camping for the next two months!

The financial costs are significant with annual dues, uniforms, and the initial outlay for camping equipment. But our troop uses the popcorn sales to fund the boys' accounts which they can use for their expenses. Of course it is dependent on how much the scout sells.

Work on merit badges have to be approved by a merit badge counselor prior to the start of working on the badge. I'm not sure if that's how it's done with all troops. This was totally different from my experience with Girl Scouts.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to second everything Margaret said. This lady really knows scouts.

I would also like to add that the BSA is adding badges and awards each year. The most recent award is the NOVA. It is focused on STEM and allows those boys interested in these disciplines to spend time doing what they like and receive acknowledment for their efforts. Boys can earn the STEM merit badges, watch STEM documentaries, read STEM books, participate in STEM competitions, etc. From what my understanding is activities like 4H (STEM related), First Lego League, Lego Robotics, math competitions, etc all count for the competition requirement.

There are other awards but I don't want to overwhelm you. I just wanted to let you know that although camping cannot be avoided for rank advancement there are other activities a scout can do that are just as exciting.

My ds just joined for the first time as an 11yo. It has been GREAT. He absolutely loves it, and the troop has been wonderfully welcoming and friendly. We couldn't be more pleased with our troop.

The one thing that was hard on us is the start-up expense. The uniform, hiking boots, and books are a chunk, plus my ds went to summer camp within just a few months of joining. The summer camping weekends have also been a little pricier--ds has been away with dh this weekend canoeing, so that was more expensive than a hiking weekend.

Nevertheless, for a kid as outdoorsy as my ds, this couldn't be better, and hopefully he will become an Eagle Scout, which will look good on his student resume.

My ds just joined for the first time as an 11yo. It has been GREAT. He absolutely loves it, and the troop has been wonderfully welcoming and friendly. We couldn't be more pleased with our troop.

The one thing that was hard on us is the start-up expense. The uniform, hiking boots, and books are a chunk, plus my ds went to summer camp within just a few months of joining. The summer camping weekends have also been a little pricier--ds has been away with dh this weekend canoeing, so that was more expensive than a hiking weekend.

Nevertheless, for a kid as outdoorsy as my ds, this couldn't be better, and hopefully he will become an Eagle Scout, which will look good on his student resume.

It DOES get better!

My son's first year was expensive. Especially getting ready for the week+ long camps.

After that, it's been fairly cheap. All I've spent on oldest this year was new pants and socks (he had a huge growth spurt).

Since he does the fundraisers, he has paid for his trips 100% himself.

Middle son just joined, so we're spending alot on him. He joined too late for summer camp (whew! LOL) but will be going to winter camp. I have a FEELING that alot his Christmas presents will be camping supplies :D They leave the day after Christmas.

Youngest son crosses over next year, so we get to do this again soon. lol

I wonder if I can buy scout stuff in BULK? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I know its been a while since I posted this, but I wasn't getting email updates that there were posts.

We have been to 3 troop meetings so far. The people (parents and kids) are a great bunch. We are comfortable since it is at a church where we do a lot of homeschool activities. It was emphasized that this is a church ministry (so, I would assume they foot some % of "official" expenses). So, the initial registration was bare minimum. We have our first car wash fundraiser this weekend and a first trip to a tubing river in a few weeks. My husband will hopefully be able to go on at least the very first trip with him. I don't know that he will want to go every month. Maybe he will surprise me. I can't imagine him gone all weekend every 4 weeks. We got our book and he has been reading through that. He thinks its absolutely hilarious that there is a Nuclear Science merit badge. Oh, we started just in time. Our first night was listening to stories from the various summer camps (recent and past). There was a lock-in that weekend that he wanted to go to. The troop planned the whole year and watched movies. I'm impressed so far.

I am :eek: from sticker shock with the uniform costs. We did check with the troop and there isn't anything for him at this point. We were assured we didn't need to rush and purchase though. I am scouring for scoutstuff.org coupon codes and may put an order together with a friend.

Thanks for all the input.

All I can say is, be very careful with scouts. Of course, that could apply to any activity that your son does, but be super careful what troop he joins, and how much you trust the leaders. I have a very good reason to say this. Someone high up in my council did something AWFUL to my son that for legal reasons I can't talk about. Just be careful.

Our troop goes camping about once a month and does other trips like canoeing, caving, etc. None are required.

they may not be required but scouts who don't go on the outings are going to have a hard time really becoming a part of the group. The outings are where the real bonding of the group takes place, among both the scouts and the adults.

II don't know that he will want to go every month. Maybe he will surprise me. I can't imagine him gone all weekend every 4 weeks.

Glad you are having a good experience so far. My son was hesitant at first about going on all the trips, but he never misses anything except the annual canoe trip. He went on that twice, and decided he hates canoeing, so now he skips that one. It took about 6 trips before he was able to be completely self-sufficient packing, though. :001_huh:;)

At least to start, encourage your boy to be very involved. After he makes some friends and becomes part of the group, if he doesn't want to do everything he doesn't have to. But it does help to get started by doing as much as possible at first.

Have fun!

I am glad you are having a good experience thus far. We tried joining on two different occasions and it was a disaster. So we have decided to find other activities.

I echo the earlier comment, please be cautious who you trust. We've had some issues in my area with leaders harming children as well. Scary indeed.

Over all I think Boy Scouts can be an excellent experience though.

All I can say is, be very careful with scouts. Of course, that could apply to any activity that your son does, but be super careful what troop he joins, and how much you trust the leaders. I have a very good reason to say this. Someone high up in my council did something AWFUL to my son that for legal reasons I can't talk about. Just be careful.

So sorry...I know in my older son's troop there are strict rules about never being alone with a child. They've had to cancel activities when they didn't have 2-deep leadership at least. (My husband is an assistant Scoutmaster and he's not allowed alone with my own sons in scout related activities.) Anyway, DO make sure that there are stict rules in place to prevent anything like this happening.

Also, do you want to know how mean my husband is? He's expecting the boys to complete their Eagle before he lets them drive...lol. I try not to get in the middle of it, but it is a great goal. One local boy just completed his, and his Eagle project was very worthwhile to the community.

Edited by mjpeter

You have gotten a ton of really great advice and I pretty much agree with all of it. We have 4 boys and our oldest joined scouts at 11 (the others started in cub scouts). Our oldest has really enjoyed scouts and it is building his time management and responsibility skills better than anything we had done before. (I am SURE there are some grammar issues in that sentence...I keep re-reading it...but I am letting it go - you get my meaning :001_smile:)

Our scouts meet weekly and camp monthly. The initial camping gear expense was pretty high but now it is really cheap for my dh and sons to go camping. Speaking about supervision, my dh tends to go on all the campouts and even went to summer camp. It has been great for them to bond in the great outdoors. My family is usually a geeky, inside, computer lovin' family so bonding in nature is a huge change for us (and when I say us, I mean the men...I don't camp unless a camper is involved with air conditioning and a potty). :tongue_smilie:

I say give it a try - my kids didn't think they liked camping either but there is something to be said about giving a boy an axe or a knife and saying go chop something up - they really dig it :001_smile:

HTH

We were in one troop for one year and it was a horrible experience. The Scoutmaster was nice but he left to work elsewhere. We went to summer camp and learned what it was really like (after having gone to meetings all year). Most grownups treated the boys like dirt and spoke to them like servants. Some older boys really bossed around the younger ones and didn't include them. They talked disrespectfully about girls (including Assistant Scoutmaster grownups!). We left soon after.

Then...we joined a different troop.

It was much better! The grownups were respectful to the boys, the older boys were good to the younger ones (one exception), and they were much more conservative when it came to girls. As I said, MUCH better.

Troops are VERY different! I have shopped around a lot now, and boy are they different! Some I wouldn't go near, and others I would be very happy with.

Our current Scoutmaster is great.

Make sure you visit a few troops before making up your mind.

The program itself is a great program--not all troops follow the path in the same way, though. Look for something that works for you.

I do have to second some previous posters' advice: Be careful with leaders. Nothing happened to my son, but an

Assistant Scoutmaster was arrested the year my son was in that troop. (The troop we left.)

BE CAREFUL WITH LEADERS!!!

But the troop we are currently in is very nice; I am very pleased so far. There is another troop closer to us also, where everyone is very nice too. I may check into that one since it is *much* closer (5 min vs. 35 min away).

Boy Scouts can be a wonderful experience. You have to be pretty aware of what is going on and have good communication with other adults and with your own son to find out what things are happening.

I would not advise to just drop off your kids and trust that everything is great.

I really do like the Boy Scout experience though as a mom.

What DS and I like best is the volunteering for other kids' Eagle Projects. (Building bat houses, mulching park trails, digging out old steps, building fences, visiting the elderly and singing with them, etc.) This is the best part!

Edited by jhschool

We are a scouting family but I too must agree that your troop is only as good as the adult leaders (who, by the way, are all volunteers). Shop around. Don't just go with a troop because of the night it meets or the location where it meets. Take your son to visit different troops prior to joining one. Get to know about the leaders, the activities the particular troop does, and the boys who are in the troop. And when you find a troop you are comfortable in, look for ways to volunteer so you can be in the loop on the inner workings of the troop.