Menu

What should a functional nightstand look like?

I currently have a flat surface which holds an alarm clock, picture frame, book and a candle holder, 3 bibles and the currently fermenting kombucha batch (:D coolest room in the house) all strewn across the top.

I am thinking of either designing something that dh can build or finding something where I can organize things better. Perhaps something more like a

bookshelf but with a drawer...or no drawer and only open space?

My ideal nightstand has two drawers (one for current books, lotion, misc, and one for box of tissues, etc.) and one open shelf (probably right under the top itself) large enough for a laptop. It also has access from the back to get cords to the laptop/smartphone shelf. :) I've been thinking about this lately, lol.

I took over my DH's nightstand, so I have two. Each nightstand has four drawers. The top two drawers on each side are for misc. things (tissues, lotions, etc.) I also keep my wrist braces in there. Each side has its own alarm clock, and usually a couple books. I like to keep a notebook and paper next to the bed. The bottom two drawers are art supplies. Two drawers on one side is all for the kids, the two drawers on the other side are for me.

Personally, I like having the drawers. It seems to keep the kids out better then an open shelf would. Though, it is 'out of sight / out of mind' so not the best system. It also depends on what kind of height you are looking for in a nightstand.

Am I the only one wondering what a dysfunctional nightstand should look like?

(It has been a long day... :tongue_smilie:)

:lol: no, you're not.

We have three drawer ones. I like them. My mom had one drawer/open cubby-like space ones. They were fun for getting in when I was little, but they end up cluttered. I slide my laptop under the nightstand.

;) I consider mine dysfunctional since I cannot arrange anything in (my kind of) order. I like cubbies or shelves where I can put smaller things but still have room for larger items like lamp on the top surface.

It should look like dh's -- a small fortune in loose change, numerous pencils and pens that are apparently invisible so that he takes mine, and lots of books, each of which he insists he's reading if I try to reshelf any of them. :tongue_smilie: