Menu

First Communion Dress

I know this is awhile away (May 2013) but I've been looking around and honestly everything I am seeing looks too... much? I just want something sweet, conservative and old-fashioned. I am a convert so my daughter will be the first in our family making her First Communion at age 7. I'd like something that is timeless that we can save and use for my other daughter and hopefully future grand-daughters.

Thanks!

My mother sewed the First Communion dress my sisters and I wore from her wedding dress train :) She used a very simple pattern with a plain bodice, plain short sleeves, and a gathered skirt. The fabric made the dress!

I agree you should have one made, it can be very reasonable. My mother had my sisters made by a local seamstress. My dh's aunt was a seamstress, she mostly sewed wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses but she also did flower girl dresses and first communion dresses.

Maybe something from here.

Or here. The first few look simple.

ETA: I like this one too. And this one.

Oh, these (first link) are so pretty and sweet! I wish we had this tradition in our church.

OP, I will say that it may be difficult to pass down a dress. Unlike passing down an infant-sized baptismal gown, which tend to fit "flexibly," 7yos vary widely in their sizes. Just saying...I hope you can!

I do like this one from the other link--it's not full of bling, has short sleeves, and has smocking at the waist. Dd likes it, too.

Edited by Chris in VA

Ugghhh, I've one coming up this year, too and I forgot the link I had saved for the dress! I know, I feel the same way about the dresses that you did. I wanted capped sleeves and elegance.

Maybe something like this? Leaflet Missal carries dresses that are classier than most ones you see in stories.

I know what you mean about some of the dresses being "too much." I saw a display of Communion dresses recently, and they looked like something out of Toddlers & Tiaras. :ack2:

Exactly!

Maybe something like this? Leaflet Missal carries dresses that are classier than most ones you see in stories.

So adorable!

I know what you mean about some of the dresses being "too much." I saw a display of Communion dresses recently, and they looked like something out of Toddlers & Tiaras. :ack2:

I saw some of those dresses at my church's First Communion Mass. :001_huh:

One thing that *I* like for sweet little girls is ballet-type shoes, or little white Mary Janes, along with ruffly socks or white tights. I'm not so fond of sandals that have very high heels or are wedges. Just doesn't seem age appropriate to me.

We couldn't find anything, either. My m-i-l thought it would be nice to sew one for my older dd, and then my younger dd wore the same dress. Where we lived when dd had her First Communion, we were a religious minority, so it was difficult to find anything at all. Now, we're in a place where local traditions tend to go a lot more elaborate than what we'd want, so the custom dress was the way to go. I was thankful that it fit both of them ... they're very different builds, but one dd (the smaller build) was almost 8, while my bigger dd was just barely 7, so it worked out.

BFW-05_12_2104ZF-2891-14710-1-001.jpg

I saw some of those dresses at my church's First Communion Mass. :001_huh:

One thing that *I* like for sweet little girls is ballet-type shoes, or little white Mary Janes, along with ruffly socks or white tights. I'm not so fond of sandals that have very high heels or are wedges. Just doesn't seem age appropriate to me.

We had a difficult time finding these, too, this time around. Dh kept checking in at Stride Rite (his office is over the Domain location), and never could find the white Mary Janes I wanted.

Oh, these (first link) are so pretty and sweet! I wish we had this tradition in our church.

OP, I will say that it may be difficult to pass down a dress. Unlike passing down an infant-sized baptismal gown, which tend to fit "flexibly," 7yos vary widely in their sizes. Just saying...I hope you can!

I do like this one from the other link--it's not full of bling, has short sleeves, and has smocking at the waist. Dd likes it, too.

My best friend's grandmother made her first communion dress when she was 7. I wore it for my CONFIRMATION in the Methodist church-in 7th grade :)

I didn't use my train like Mom did----first Dd was too tall for the amount of fabric. I made her simple dress but two layers, with a sheer embroidered layer over a solid white. I deliberately made it with a deep hem in case second Dd were to be taller. Second Dd was much smaller so I had to cut off the bottom of the dress to make it short enough :lol:

No idea about communion dresses, but just wanted to butt in and say to Higginszoo, your daughter looks amazingly beautiful and sweet in that dress.

Thanks! I was just so glad it fit, as I didn't really have a backup plan. The heels worked to our advantage, as her sister is longer, along being with leaner.

My daughter is not due to make hers for 3 more years, but I plan on just getting a plain white dress from JC Penny at Easter and saving it for the next month.

It may not be as easy to find one as you think it will be. There's a lot of trashy-looking clothes out there for little girls these days!

I bought my one DD her dress at a local spanish baby store. THey had a nice selection...but closer to dec. not many out this time of year.

I think I bought my middle daughter hers there as well...for about $30.00 or so?

JCPenney had a ton of communion dresses around easter time or a little earlier. I bought my son's suit on Ebay. It was a great price and I donated it after.

My girls couldnt share the dress since they had been a difference of about 2 sizes...:001_huh: but I had trouble finding some without shoulders showing. I ended up buying one that had a little jacket and one I had the sleeves sewed up so they looked like cap sleeves. So pretty.

It may not be as easy to find one as you think it will be. There's a lot of trashy-looking clothes out there for little girls these days!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Most of the Communion dresses I saw in stores (and I went to a TON of different places) looked like pageant gowns. :ack2:

My dd received her First Communion this spring. I wanted to make her a dress, but dh insisted I buy one. It thought it would be easier, ha!

After much hunting and trying on, we found this sweet eyelet dress---most of the dresses looked like mini wedding gowns and dd is also hard to fit (super tall and willow thin). She wanted something that she could wear again instead of packing it into a closet. I designed and knitted the cap sleeved shrug and made the veil (all the veils we saw were over the top). It actually poured that day, a super fancy dress would have been a wreck. :)

post-46434-13535087210222_thumb.jpg

post-46434-13535087210222_thumb.jpg

Ooh, I love that one! I need a girl.

We do not do first communion, but I do know what you mean about the "overdone" factor. For church baptisms, many moms were OVER THE TOP with the attire. DD was nine when she chose to be baptized and at a galilean service lakeside. Most of the families were letting their children wear shorts and button up shirts or polos - going the other way and too casual if you ask me. I wanted something special, soft, classy, and something that could be a keepsake but I certainly wasn't about to buy a frufru dress.

So, I made a simple cotton dress - white on white floral pattern - with cap sleeves, and trimmed it out in white crocheted fabric. It was darling and it is now packed away in preservation paper and box. Therefore, I vote for custom made if you can find someone to sew it for a reasonable price.

The very prettiest that I've ever seen that definitely had a wow factor and yet was absolutely tasteful, was a family heirloom dress that some great-grandma somewhere in the family had crocheted out of fine, white thread. It was exquisite! I've never seen anything else like it and it was a real treasure. I'd recommend a crocheted one in a heartbeat, but I think that in this day and age, it might be hard to find someone with that ability, not to mention the cost because it had to have represented a HUGE number of hours to make.

God Bless your daughter!

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
left a sentence out

We faced the dress problem when my dd had her first communion. I found this one at Strasburg Children. I adore their clothes, although I only shop their sale rack :)

That's a precious dress. Simple, elegant, nice fabric...I love her shoes! Well done mama!!!! :001_smile:

Faith