Menu

How can I get the cigarette smoke smell out of a purse?

I bought a designer purse at the thrift store today for less than $3, and when I got home, I realized that it smells like cigarette smoke. :( It's not an overpowering smell, or I would have noticed it in the store, but it's definitely there, and I don't want to put my stuff into it and have everything wind up smelling like smoke. Is there anything I can do to get the smell out? It's made of faux leather lined with synthetic fabric. It has several compartments that close with zippers. Help!

It's very hard.

Cotton fabrics can be washed a million times on hot, but that doesn't work as well for synthetics, and not everything responds well to hot washing.

Soak in warm water plus vinegar, or warm soapy water, rinse, hang in sun to dry. Repeat. Multiple times.

I've done this...grind yourself a 1/2 cup of coffee. Put inside an old sock and put into purse. Put purse in trash bag and seal. Leave it for several days...the odor should be gone or just do it one more time. We did this last year for my daughters purse --she gave up smoking and it worked like a charm.