Menu

New "Seen By" feature in Facebook groups

Here's an article if you haven't heard of it: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-facebook-group-seen-feature-20120713,0,4072358.story

It tells you who has seen each post, and what time they saw it.

Other sites I read added that when asked if read receipts would make their way to the news feed, Facebook said it was “not going to discuss what we might (or might not) do in the future.”

Did Facebook remove it already? :confused: I just went and tried to find the feature and it is not showing up in any of my groups.

I'm not seeing this feature.... not sure where to look for it though.

Was the group you saw it in public, private, or secret? :001_smile:

It's in a secret group. I'm one of the owners and I don't see any way to change it in the settings. Everyone in the group can see it. Someone in the group said that in some of her other groups, you can see how many people have seen it, but not exactly who and when.

I don't like it At. All. Because if people know I've "seen" something but not bothered to comment, it might come off as uncaring. When, in fact, I may have gotten called away, or was still formulating a response, etc.

It's in one of my new groups and I'm not liking it at all.

Exactly! What if you don't want everybody knowing you saw something? What if you don't want people knowing when you're on Facebook? What if you "see" something that you "should" comment on, but you don't for whatever reason and now people are wondering why or getting upset? There are all kinds of reasons this could be bad.

Well, I guess it is time to start reporting to FB that we hate that particular feature. :)

Hopefully, they will get a ton of negative feedback. I don't mind the ones when I am IM'ing, but otherwise it is just unnecessary. Thankfully, I like everyone in my groups, so it doesn't wig me out, just annoying.

it seems *really* random...of my groups that have changed over and have the feature...

Secret Group A - shows "seen by..." but doesn't show actual names

Secret Group B - shows "seen by..." and lets you see the names/times

Secret Group C - shows "seen by..." and lets you see the names/times

Closed Group A - shows "seen by..." and lets you see the names/times

Closed Group B - shows "seen by..." but doesn't show actual names (I am group owner)

Closed Group C - shows "seen by..." and lets you see the names/times

haven't found any of my groups that are "Open" with this new 'seen by' thing yet, but I will let you know if I see one that's changed over...