Menu

Cheap hotel and things to do in NYC?

My hubby and I are going on an overnight for our 14th anniversary- our first night away in over 3 years :hurray:

We are taking the train and looking for a hotel near Grand Central. Doesn't have to be fancy because we probably won't be there much. Less than $200.

We also need ideas of things to do. I don't want to do the educational stuff like Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty because we want to take the kids there next year. We would like to see a show and ...? We have two full days. Thank you!

My hubby and I are going on an overnight for our 14th anniversary- our first night away in over 3 years :hurray:

We are taking the train and looking for a hotel near Grand Central. Doesn't have to be fancy because we probably won't be there much. Less than $200.

We also need ideas of things to do. I don't want to do the educational stuff like Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty because we want to take the kids there next year. We would like to see a show and ...? We have two full days. Thank you!

Carriage ride in Central Park!

The first day, take a cab downtown and visit the 911 Memorial. Have some lunch, then take a 2-hour cruise that leaves from the South Street Seaport (still downtown) during the day. After that, walk around the seaport & have dinner there. Then take a cab to your Broadway show.

The second day, visit the American Museum of Natural History, have a hot dog and knish from a cart outside, and then take a nice romantic walk around Central Park (and a carriage ride as mentioned before). Belvedere Castle and the lake are in a great area for walking around.

Take lots of pictures and have an awesome time!!

The Met is free I believe. We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge right before lunch, then stopped for pizza and took the subway back. I would also recommend the Staten Island ferry for sight seeing, and I think Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are a must, but maybe not on a weekend trip.

If you feel like a show, there is a half price ticket booth near times square that sells same day tickets for Broadway shows at a discount. It sells the unsold seats, so skmetimes you can get great seats for a steal.

My hubby and I went there for our honeymoon two weeks before 9/11. We loved it.

The Carter Hotel is cheap. I won't lie, it's kind of a dump, but it is cheap and does the job if you aren't staying long. It's hard to find something affordable in that area!

You made it sound so good that she's probably calling to make her reservation right now. :D

If you feel like a show, there is a half price ticket booth near times square that sells same day tickets for Broadway shows at a discount. It sells the unsold seats, so skmetimes you can get great seats for a steal.

My hubby and I went there for our honeymoon two weeks before 9/11. We loved it.

This is an excellent way to get tickets but get there as early as you can. The line gets very long very fast and the best tickets go quick.

The last time we went to the Met, the suggested adult admission was $25 per adult. If I'm not mistaken, it costs $19 per adult to get in to the Museum of Natural History.

The museum it is a "suggested donation". You don't need to pay that amount, although any of the special exhibits do have a set price. We were just there yesterday. :D

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, as a PP suggested. But then keep walking, down the stairs, make a left, walk down to Water Street, turn left on Water Street, and drop by Jacques Torres chocolate. (http://www.mrchocolate.com/ Get either hot chocolate or frozen hot chocolate, depending on the season, and take your drinks across the street to Empire Fulton Ferry State Park. Enjoy the extraordinary view.

My daughter and I stayed at the Edison on the recommendation of a friend who travels to NYC frequently for business. It's definitely of the "faded glory" style, but we really loved it. The room wasn't fussy, but was clean and sort of charming in a quirky way.

I don't remember for sure how much we paid. It was definitely significantly less than any other hotel we've been to in the city.

I'd stay there again.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

(It looks like the average rate is higher than you want to pay. But there are some nights here and there when it is cheaper. If you have flexibility on your dates, it's worth a look.)

Isn't the Fitzpatrick Hotel near Grand Central? I think that can be had for around $200 on weekends, but frankly, that's a pretty rough cut off price for Manhattan. If you are willing to go to some of the newer properties in the boroughs (or NJ), you can get your price easier. But then you have commuting costs...

My dh was able to get a great rate at the Best Western Hospitality House on Priceline a few years ago ($79/night). The rooms are 1br apartments and breakfast and snacks are provided in your apartment kitchen. The hotel is wonderfully placed to walk all over downtown NYC (Times Square, Empire State Building, Broadway, Central Park). We really enjoyed our stay there.

Eat at a place that is a combo grocery store and small market type food called Eataly.. 5th avenue and 25th street

They have FABULOUS coffee and great pizza and food. It is a busy busy place and it is huge...

And while this restaurant is a bit irreverent it has some of the BEST soft serve ice cream I've ever eaten.....

And I happen to love a good deli and Katz's is south of the ice cream shop.

If you just want to have fun I guess I imagine that to include lots of food. haha.... nothing educational there!

Have a great visit and remember the Q goes to Brooklyn not the World Trades Center!!!