Menu

Need help! getting motivated to start school

Joyful

This is will be our 6th year homeschooling. We really like it. But....

I don't feel motivated to start school.

I will have 3 kids from Gr. 1-5. I've gotten most of the materials we need.

I just have one more order to place for 1 child's math, and 2 children's science - can't even get myself up to doing that.

We finished our school year in the end of May. We've been on break this whole time. Usually by now, I'm getting the schedules ready, gathering stationery supplies from back-to-school sales. And we would start the 3rd or 4th week of August.

Right now, I just don't have it. Can you please straighten me out?! How can I become motivated again? Not homeschooling is not an option, as HS is really what works for our family. =)

Thanks.

I feel ya! I posted a bit earlier about my lack of "umpf" when it comes to getting ready.

What actually helped me though was talking to my friends whose children are getting ready to go to school. I'll admit to sometimes thinking how nice it would be to have 6 hours by myself and wave as the school bus drives off in the morning- But if I REALLY think about it- that sounds horrible. I couldn't imagine passing off my kids to someone else like that. Granted, I realize I am in a position where we scrimp and save so I can stay home with my children and some people don't have that option.

But the people who sound gleeful about getting their kids out from under their hair make me sad. I mean, they speak so happily about summer's end while their children are standing right there.

Anyway, it did light a fire under my butt and reminded me why I want to be doing this.

I feel ya! I posted a bit earlier about my lack of "umpf" when it comes to getting ready.

What actually helped me though was talking to my friends whose children are getting ready to go to school. I'll admit to sometimes thinking how nice it would be to have 6 hours by myself and wave as the school bus drives off in the morning- But if I REALLY think about it- that sounds horrible. I couldn't imagine passing off my kids to someone else like that. Granted, I realize I am in a position where we scrimp and save so I can stay home with my children and some people don't have that option.

But the people who sound gleeful about getting their kids out from under their hair make me sad. I mean, they speak so happily about summer's end while their children are standing right there.

Anyway, it did light a fire under my butt and reminded me why I want to be doing this.

Thanks for sharing! Maybe I need to think more about why we HS...

I love having the kids home. Maybe we are just having too much fun this summer! The kids do lots of reading, we go out to the playground, library, etc. And when I run errands, I don't feel like I have to rush... We've been watching a lot of Olympics this week. (Too many commercials though - we've had to freeze and mute quite a bit.)

I started at the beginning of July, but am finding that I'm lacking the umph to keepit up day in and day out. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't start until the end of August when everyone else goes back to school. I also have my preschooler home, and it will be much easier to get a good amount of school done when he's not here (is that bad :001_huh:?). So, I hear you, and I'm not sure what to do to get motivated either!

It's not always fun. Sometimes it's just our duty to start again and do a good job at homeschooling for one more year.

Marriage isn't always fun. Employment, college, taking care of elderly parents, living through financial problems or illness...adulthood is not always fun.

Whatever your reasons for homeschooling, once the decision is made it is your responsibility. Some years it will be your calling, your passion, and your joy, but some years you will do it because you believe it is the only option. Those years you just haul out the character required to treat your children well and teach them to the best of your ability. You behave the same way you would if you were teaching someone else's children. You do your best.

This is a little grim and preachy but it's all I've got. Sometimes we can light that fire. Other times we're just putting our shoulder the wheel because it's right.

And I've had years when I hated starting, but got inspired by my kids as we went. That happens sometimes. I've also had years that started wonderfully and ended with me crying in my closet while everybody slept. This past year was kind of like that, actually.

Overall, I believe in what I'm doing. I like the results I see in my children's education and in their personalities and character. I like being a homeschooling family. The work is worth it, for me. But I don't just receive the benefits. There's another side: The duty and responsibility to succeed academically are entirely on my shoulders because I chose this life.

So I roll up my sleeves and work, and wait and pray for the joy. That's the correct order for approaching any difficult task that we don't want to do but that we must do.

One disclaimer: If I thought the local school could do as good or better for my children's education and I frankly didn't want to teach them myself, I would enroll them at once. If you have no problem with the school and you don't want to homeschool, then why homeschool? Just pointing that out in case it fits your situation.

We started at the end of June. We started with just history, bible and reading. Each week, I would add a new subject. That brought us in slowly and that helped. The over 100 degree weather also was favorable to schooling with a swimming reward after school was finished.

We ended up with a week off in July and this week off as kids are at Grandmas. Next week we have all subjects ready to go and will stay focused because we take a two week vacation in September! That is our next motivation.

I find that having little motivations for the kids keeps me more motivated because they get excited and don't drag feet. :)

It's not always fun. Sometimes it's just our duty to start again and do a good job at homeschooling for one more year.

-----------

Whatever your reasons for homeschooling, once the decision is made it is your responsibility. Some years it will be your calling, your passion, and your joy, but some years you will do it because you believe it is the only option. Those years you just haul out the character required to treat your children well and teach them to the best of your ability. You behave the same way you would if you were teaching someone else's children. You do your best.

This is a little grim and preachy but it's all I've got. Sometimes we can light that fire. Other times we're just putting our shoulder the wheel because it's right.

Yeah, it does sounds preachy. But the kick in the butt is just what i need. :D Thanks!

It is true! We don't always do things because we "feel" like it, but because we should - out of duty and responsibility, or out of other obligations. Doing the right thing (in my case, following through with my commitment to HS our DC) is not predicated on how I feel.

So I roll up my sleeves and work, and wait and pray for the joy. That's the correct order for approaching any difficult task that we don't want to do but that we must do.

Thanks again. I should roll up my sleeves and just get the ball rolling. :001_smile:

One disclaimer: If I thought the local school could do as good or better for my children's education and I frankly didn't want to teach them myself, I would enroll them at once. If you have no problem with the school and you don't want to homeschool, then why homeschool? Just pointing that out in case it fits your situation.

Well, our local school is not good. We are in a terrible, mismanaged urban school district - it is all over the news. But even if we were in a decent school district, we probably would still choose to HS. It fits our DC's learning styles and our goals of how we would like our children to be educated.

I'm with you too. I've been downright zealous the previous two years. This year I just can't get any traction. I blame it on the weather...it's 111 outside.

It's pretty hot here too. Not 111 degrees though. But still we were in the house most of the day. I was feeling tired and a little headachy (is there such a word?). So, at 5 o'clock, I took the kids to the playground, where there is a spray park. It wasn't so hot by then. Being outside even for the little bit did help perk me up. I'm starting to feel better over all.

I started at the beginning of July, but am finding that I'm lacking the umph to keepit up day in and day out. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't start until the end of August when everyone else goes back to school. I also have my preschooler home, and it will be much easier to get a good amount of school done when he's not here (is that bad :001_huh:?). So, I hear you, and I'm not sure what to do to get motivated either!

Thanks for sympathizing! Having 2 and 3 year olds around can be tricky. But hopefully, you'd be able to figure things out soon! There are lots of experienced HS'ers on this board that can give you tips on how to manage with the littles while teaching the older kids. :001_smile:

We started at the end of June. We started with just history, bible and reading. Each week, I would add a new subject. That brought us in slowly and that helped. The over 100 degree weather also was favorable to schooling with a swimming reward after school was finished.

We ended up with a week off in July and this week off as kids are at Grandmas. Next week we have all subjects ready to go and will stay focused because we take a two week vacation in September! That is our next motivation.

I find that having little motivations for the kids keeps me more motivated because they get excited and don't drag feet. :)

Yeah, I usually start with half the load since they kids will still like to go out. This summer is much hotter here than last here. So I think I will take the kids out to the library while I do the prep work over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the tip about rewarding myself and the kids - ice cream always works, and this is perfect weather for it! :D

Can you add something fun that will get the whole family excited? An afternoon of nature study a week? A really fun read aloud? A unit study to start the year that everyone will enjoy?

Or maybe you just need to get going for it to feel right again. I have found that I often rely on feelings, but feelings can be deceiving. The enemy can change your feelings. I have come to rely more on what I know is right and less on feelings.

Write a letter to yourself to remind yourself what you do love about homeschooling. It is completely normal to go through these periods, but you know what is best for your family! Best of luck!!!!

Can you add something fun that will get the whole family excited? An afternoon of nature study a week? A really fun read aloud? A unit study to start the year that everyone will enjoy?

Or maybe you just need to get going for it to feel right again. I have found that I often rely on feelings, but feelings can be deceiving. The enemy can change your feelings. I have come to rely more on what I know is right and less on feelings.

Write a letter to yourself to remind yourself what you do love about homeschooling. It is completely normal to go through these periods, but you know what is best for your family! Best of luck!!!!

Kristinannie,

Thanks for the helpful thoughts! We will be doing life sciences this year, so doing some nature studies would be so appropriate.

Yeah, I think I just need to determine to get started with my preparations. I'm usually more of a thinking person than a feeling person. But I guess I was letting my lack of umph get to me. It is true, our feelings can be deceptive. I think it will help me to start with reviewing our goals for the school year. The mind needs to take over the heart right now. :001_smile: Thanks!