Menu

Meet the Masters vs. Atelier

AlisonK

I hesitated for quite a while too then chose Atelier when it was on offer on HSBC last time. Meet the Masters is cheaper & gives more art history than Atelier. On the other hand Meet the Masters needs more teaching time (you get the text that you have to read to the child while showing slides etc) whereas Atelier is just pressing the play button on the DVD player... As a not-so-artsy mom I thought Atelier would be easier for us and this way I know it will actually get done. My kids have done a few projects already and they're loving it.

Thank you all for the helpful responses!

I am wondering one thing about Meet the Masters. How good are the art projects? Are they simply trying to copy the master's work from the current study? Or are they learning art concepts along with various techniques the master's use. I hope that makes sense. :confused:

Alison, you're questions makes total sense. You do teach concepts and techniques as you do the projects, but I found that the focus was learning about art history by studying various artists and the concepts and techniques are incorportated as you go. For example, when studying Van Gogh the art concept is texture and for Monet the concept is color. So if you are looking for a program that has a scope and sequence based on techniques and concepts, this was not my experience with MTM. However, I feel that MTM does a wonderful job in teaching art concepts. Students are given plenty of practise opportunity in exploring the art concept taught before they are expected to replicate the artist. Here is a link to a sample of the student exploration part of the lesson from the MTM website. Hope this helped.

http://www.meetthemasters.com/how-it-works/step2/