Menu

Can you influence what you dream about?

I keep having dreams where I'm doing things like washing dishes and turning down desserts because I'm watching what I eat. :glare: I always wake up and think, "It was just a dream! I could have eaten the WHOLE CAKE!" :lol:

Has anyone influenced their own dreams? Maybe by thinking about something in particular right before bed? It seems like such a waste to dream about chores and dieting. :001_huh:

Every once in a while something odd will end up in my dreams. Like a couple nights ago I heard dh's alarm go off at 5am. I turned and looked at the clock (because his wake up times have varied lately) and saw it was midnight. Dream continued a minute, I woke up a bit more, and looked at the clock again. It was just after 5am. I had heard the alarm for real, but put it into my dream where it was apparently midnight.:tongue_smilie:

I used to be able to a lot when I was a child. It's not something I'd thought about much until recently when I went through a period of having very disturbed, troubled dreams that left me feeling rather depressed in the morning. I then remembered my childhood habit of deciding what I was going to dream about as I fell asleep, and decided that that night I was going to have happy, relaxing dreams. It worked. I didn't decide exactly what I was going to dream about, but I did determine that I would no longer let my dreams terrorise me. I don't know that I'd want to decide exactly what I'm going to dream anymore, I quite like the random, uncontrolled nature of dreaming.

I've not noticed being able to influence what I dream about yet I can influence my dreams as they are happening. For example, I have a lot of disturbing dreams where one of my dc is in danger or we/I am about to die. I have learned to change how my dream goes (thank goodness) for the most part. Dreams are crazy things...