Menu

6th grade packaged curriculum?

I need advice for a friend. She is scared to send her son back to school, he is going into 6th grade and is being bullied and has some medical issues. She really wants to homeschool him and wants me to help guide her to some curriculum that she can buy and get started in 2 weeks when school starts.

She'd like a prepackaged 6th grade curriculum.

It should be secular.

She would be happy if the cost was under $200.

Any ideas? I can help her with reassurance, homeschool laws, etc. but I have no clue what to suggest for curriculum because I've never used a boxed curriculum or a secular curriculum. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks in advance :)

There are not free virtual academies offered in IL. :(

I think it can be done for $200 if it's not boxed

WWS

Creek Edge Task cards for History & Science (and use the library!)

Used Saxon Math

Easy Grammar

Lit books from the library

Spelling based on writing

Edited by jannylynn

I don't think you're going to get a secular, boxed set for $200. If you piecemeal it together you'd stand a better chance. Textbooks one edition older than the current one can be found for cheap on Amazon Marketplace and other used book sites.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I need to encourage her to try to piece it together. I think she just feels overwhelmed with curriculum choices so she wants it boxed, I'm not sure how close to $200 she needs to be. I'll send her all of this info with some links to review sites - maybe that will help.

It could also depend on how secular it needs to be. I would recommend she look at the new Memoria Press curriculum packages. Obviously she would skip the Christian Studies but the rest is reasonably secular and well done. She could then augment history and literature with library readings. It's not under $200 but it's not a bad price for a full curriculum.

Heather

Calvert does have financial aid (you fill out a form and they determine if your family is eligible). Then you get like 40% off the regular price. It is still more than $200 that way.

They have payment plans if you do not qualify for financial aid.

There is homeschool supercenter that has economy, middle range, and deluxe grade-level secular packages that come with a schedule for the year. I have no idea how much teacher help comes with the prepackaged kits. She could probably get a mid range kit for $350-$375. I think the deluxe kits are closer to $450.

Have you looked up K12? You can type in your state and see the offerings. I saw a free virtual academy in Chicago. There was a link I clicked that brought up all K12 options in Illinois. She may find one in a district that she lives in. Also time4learning is a monthly fee...a place to get started with a couple of subjects at least. I believe I remember reading they are strong in English and math.

I wish her well. I too chose not to put my 10 yr old rising 6th grader in public school. the choosing of curriculum was very stressful.

The only packaged programs I can think of that are under $200 are the secular economy packages from Homeschool Super Center. The 6th grade package is $172, but it's predominantly workbooks without a lot of bells and whistles. They say they include a full year schedule.

I've never ordered from them, so I have no experience with any of their materials. There are a few other similar textbook/workbook package suppliers, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment.

Personally, I would talk her out of it. Not homeschooling, but setting the expectation that she's going to have everything ordered and ready to go in 2 weeks for $200 and it's going to go hunky dory. She might get lucky, or be one of those super focused people who can do it, but chances are she's going to end up stressed out and frustrated. I'm going into year three and have spent more hours than I care to count researching curriculum, and i'm still not *there* yet.

Especially if her son has been bullied, give him some down time. Let him learn to relax again and get comfy in his own skin.

Get her a book about learning styles/teaching styles/homeschool methods...from the library. Get some homeschool moms together to hang out for a while, help her relax, bounce questions.

If anything for "schoolwork", I would have her start checking into math curriculums, as math isn't something you want to fall behind in, but the rest will come.

Edited by Mallorie

I agree with the others - you're going to be hard pressed to find a secular boxed "all in one" curriculum for middle school, for less than $200; she will have better luck focusing only on core subjects and piecing it together.

Language Arts: Hake Grammar and Writing (52)

Math: Saxon Math (60)

History: *Human Odyssey (28 used on Amazon)

or (if he needs study guides/assignments)

*Famous Men series with study guides from Memoria Press (40)

Science: She can buy a module of Science Fusion on HSBC right now for 36; she will need 3 or 4 of these to complete the year but she can buy as she goes and even full price they are only around 45 per module - virtual labs come with, so that will cut the cost of needing lab materials